• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

zeiss victory 8x25s (1 Viewer)

I've never tried one of these compacts with the offset hinge/focus. I wonder if any left-handers have experience of them?

I deleted my post from yesterday after discovering that I had somehow misread the FOV spec for the 8x25 as 140m when it is actually 130m. That indicates that the 60º AFOV is probably not measured but simply calculated by multiplying real field by magnification. The "true" AFOV is unknown.

What caused me to go back and look at the German Zeiss site again was the very odd FOV spec for the 10x25 at the US site that Bob linked to. Once again conversion from metric to English units has gone awry.

Using the metric specs from the German site ( https://www.zeiss.de/sports-optics/...et/victory-pocket-10x25.html#technische-daten ) yields the following FOVs in feet at 1000 yards:

10x25 - 315'
8x25 - 390'

The incorrectly stated TFOVs in the US specs then lead to incorrectly calculated AFOVs, which should be 60º for both using the simple method.

Last edited:
I've never tried one of these compacts with the offset hinge/focus. I wonder if any left-handers have experience of them?

I'm a lefty and own the 10x25's. I love the offset, especially after comparing it to the Swaros and Leicas at the time I was shopping for shirt pocket binoculars.

One way to mimic the single hinge design, is when you use a double hinge model,

leave whatever hinge you want to fully opened, and then just adjust the other side.

This works equally well.

Jerry

Ed,

I read your post as being tongue in cheek (at least a bit), but yes, a lot of people have such a deeply ingrained need for symmetry that they don't even think that double hinged binoculars could be used as Jerry (and Alexis Powell) have suggested. For me, as an owner of a double hinged binocular, it still hasn't dawned how adjusting the inter pupillary distance would be significantly faster or slower either way. What takes time is getting the distance just right, not whether I'm tweaking one hinge or two (which can easily be done simultaneously if you have the right grip).

So for me, the advantage of Zeiss' single asymmetric hinge only comes from eliminating one unnecessary decision making process from the user interface experience.

Kimmo

Ed,

So for me, the advantage of Zeiss' single asymmetric hinge only comes from eliminating one unnecessary decision making process from the user interface experience.

Kimmo

So true and its also my experience that with double-hinge models, if the hinges are a little loose and the focus wheel a little stiff, just moving the focus wheel made me inadvertently shift the IPD. Growl.

Lee

Ed,

I read your post as being tongue in cheek (at least a bit), but yes, a lot of people have such a deeply ingrained need for symmetry that they don't even think that double hinged binoculars could be used as Jerry (and Alexis Powell) have suggested. For me, as an owner of a double hinged binocular, it still hasn't dawned how adjusting the inter pupillary distance would be significantly faster or slower either way. What takes time is getting the distance just right, not whether I'm tweaking one hinge or two (which can easily be done simultaneously if you have the right grip).

Kimmo

Some additional advantages of single hinge or asymmetrical unfolding are (1) that the binocular always has a consistent shape at a given IPD, so you can learn to get very good at holding and looking through it efficiently and effectively, (2) on compacts, the asymmetrical unfold or Zeiss design positions the focus wheel under the focus finger (but only for right hand in case of Zeiss) better.

--AP

Some additional advantages of single hinge or asymmetrical unfolding are (1) that the binocular always has a consistent shape at a given IPD, so you can learn to get very good at holding and looking through it efficiently and effectively, (2) on compacts, the asymmetrical unfold or Zeiss design positions the focus wheel under the focus finger (but only for right hand in case of Zeiss) better.

--AP
That's what i was wondering about in my post sometime back - whether lefties are going to find this particularly comfortable. Still, never mind - i probably won't buy them anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back