• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

H. E. Holland (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

I try to find more about the man honored in Thammophilus Hollandi (= Syn: Taraba major transandeanus). Apart from the fact that he collected around Greytown, Nicaragua it seems not much information available (or at least I failed to find).

Maybe the community has an idea. First I considered Harold May Holland (1878-1966) here but even as an ornithologist he can't be Mr. Right as

a) Middle name does not fit to E
b) He was born after George Newbold Lawrence described the bird.

Martin, in my notes I only have him as "H. E. Holland", collector around "Greytown" (today's San Juan del Norte, Department of Chontales), Nicaragua, in "1864-1865", at least in May/June 1865.

Thats´s all.

I contacted Smithsonian Institution and his name is Henry E. Holland. The evidence came from the letter attached. At least a small step further.

Attachments

• RU 305 1865 Accession 620 Henry E. Holland.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 49
Martin, I think it´s this guy you´re looking for (here, p.624):
... a local amateur naturalist [at that point in San Juan del Norte, Nicaragua] named Henry E. Holland, ...
[...]
Later that year Holland sent a sizeable shipment of bird skins to the Smithsonian, and then, unfortunately for Baird, returned to civilization, ...
Also note this scribble by Baird himself in "Baird's Atlas" (here alt. here).:
Henry E Holland. Galway Saratoga Co. Jan. 66

If of any help?

Good luck finding him!
--

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back