• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (1 Viewer)

Good birding lately, all accidental-
While sledging between two woods a woodcock flew across infron of me, then i was out walking the dock, when a smallish bird caught the corner of my eye jumping into the ditch that runs newt to the path- JACK SNIPE, then a second JACK SNIPE was in a boggy area next to a tussock of grass.
Finally, last night while out, a Tawny owl flew across the road infront of me. BRILLIANT!

Only started birding NEVER GUESS! been birding like properly like 7 days LOL and seen 26 birds including 3 kingfishes, heron, buzzard so i think i'm doing well!

Hello all,

Just thought I'd notify you that I've got a new blog post on my blog - including photos of a certain species of white-winged gull I saw today ;). If you could read it that would be much appreciated. Even more appreciated would be any feedback put in the blog :t:.

Thanks,

Joseph

B :) Birding tomorrow :D
RSPB Saltholme for Long Eared Owl, 3-4 birds have been found roosting on the reserve so that saves me abit of a trek. Then, if i'm lucky we may head up to Rainton in the hope of Mealy Redpoll...
Plus, I've already got my first few days of new year planned. Just wondering, are we planning to doing another Yearlist Challenge for 2011? I hope so, but I thought we could do the yearlist thing on the young birder thing and combine the two ideas, so we can keep the two themes running. We could continue the competition but save us from writing our sightings and plans in two places. Just a thought...
:t:

In Serbia at the moment (my new 'half home' when not at boarding school in the UK), haven't really managed to get any proper birding in, although more notable sightings:
white tailed eagle - flying near the confluence of the Sava and the Danube.. never realised how absolutely massive they are, esp. compared with the relatively minute hooded crows (trying and failing at) mobbing it!!!
hen harrier, brambling, siskin, lesser/middle spotted woodpecker, goldeneye, smew, black-throated diver, great white egret.
Hopefully heathrow will let me back home tomorrow for christmas! Cheers,

A good day today, but didn't get to rainton. SAw a beautiful Long Eared Owl today, which have been roosting near me. I saw 3 individual foxes today, including one which was chasing Waterbirds on the ice, before running about 2 metres infront of the Visitors centre and trying to eat some of the fruit put out for the birds.

Hi everyone I'm another young birder too, I suppose!
I never knew there was so many around.

Yeah that's what I thought before I joined this thread! There must be at least 100, probably lots more.

For anyone who follows my diary (link below), sorry for not updating it for the past 2 months! I've finally got my act together and will hopefully be adding a new entry daily from now on (though I won't have as many pictures as I've been posting recently I'm afraid!).

Well, it all depends what age range you call 'Young'! Like, 'up to 25' or something. I know I'm one because... I'm 13!

And another- about Redpolls- saw an unusual bird, so let my know your ideas on it, and on the blog too :)

Lucky you with those redpolls mate, very jealous ;) I'm no expert with Redpolls but I know that 2 Coues' Arctic Redpolls were seen with the flock on Tuesday so maybe take a look at some photos of them for your mystery bird.

Also I've done my last post on my current blog before I switch to a new one on January 1st. Check it out and i've also put a link to my new blog if you want to look at that in the new year :)

http://365daysofbirding.blogspot.com/

Had a great day yesterday birding near my home in Taunton, down here in Somerset. After hearing that 10 or so waxwings had been seen only a 10 minutes walk away, I headed out and arrived at the spot, where a local resident and another birder informed me that they had risen in number to the 30's, yet had vanished! I took a look around the surrounding streets with no luck, but upon returning, the flock (which I counted, from pictures, at 33) flew in and began feeding on a tiny 2m tall hawthorn tree that they'd been frequenting - only 1.5 meters away! Brilliant prolonged views and pictures of these great birds which were surprisingly ignorant of passers-by on the pavement! A long desired lifer :)

Lucky you with those redpolls mate, very jealous ;) I'm no expert with Redpolls but I know that 2 Coues' Arctic Redpolls were seen with the flock on Tuesday so maybe take a look at some photos of them for your mystery bird.

Also I've done my last post on my current blog before I switch to a new one on January 1st. Check it out and i've also put a link to my new blog if you want to look at that in the new year :)

http://365daysofbirding.blogspot.com/

Never thaught of that, so I might compare :) looking forward to you new blog btw!

any of you feed birds in your garden?
If so what is the best bird you've had in the garden!?

I think mine would be Goldcrest! beautiful! and Britain's smallest bird!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back