• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (4 Viewers)

No! Its fun for those who did it, and has no effect whatsoever on those who did not.

Im nt sayin it wasn't fun for those hu did but if u didn't u didn't there is no need to argue over something that either way it isn't a problem. There's nothing wrong with doing it or not doing it. Chill lol

2. Your day listing enthusiasm should be hyper existent, as there is a little thing called BirdTrack which I believe you have heard of - a scientific project on an altogether larger and more significant scale than patch recording can ever accomplish (though this is also useful, granted), so day listing is something everybody should do. I know you are going to find the hole in this, so I shall patch it up before you get there - make separate lists for each site!

It does depend on what you mean by day list though...

A) Bird racing which is what the whole thread is degenerating, because of
B) Going out any noting every Blue Tit and House Sparrow
C) Just noting the exciting stuff

I've only bird raced once, it wasnt for charity (bad) but was seeing what you can see in most of a day in the breckland (goodish?)

I for one cant be bothered to note every passing blue tit and my notebook is never comprehensive, and I dont feel poorer because of it.

There is no scientific benefit to noting only the exciting species, but it does help you remember the exciting stuff, and if birdings not exciting then why do we do it?

Im nt sayin it wasn't fun for those hu did but if u didn't u didn't there is no need to argue over something that either way it isn't a problem. There's nothing wrong with doing it or not doing it. Chill lol

Thats what I said Lee. I love you guys! No, seriously, you're cool.

Indeed Steve, but Connor's a scientific dude.

I for one cant be bothered to note every passing blue tit

In shetland Blue tits are very rare, lol!

You're right though, theres no point in noting every single common bird, unless you go somewhere where you don't have a clue how rare something is (eg Shetland - They've had less than 10 records of Blue tit in the last decade!)

My notebook only contains the highlights unless I'm doing a survey...

Another thing (to everyone in general) - What do you all have against David? Calm down everyone! If you don't like the idea of a bird race, don't have a go at people. Just don't say anything.

Now lets chill (as others have said) and talk about other things...we won't get anywhere by arguing and slagging off others.

Anyone planning any birding trips soon? James, Connor and I are walking Blakeney on May 10th...hopefully get something there.

Please, someone help me change the conversation!!!:eek!:

lol Yh iam doing portland this weekend so hopefully the serin will still be knocking about and hopefully a nice day so more migrants pass thorugh and wouldn't mind the odd passing pom.

Cool good luck Lee. Advice to birders in general. Get to the East coast if possible this weekend as the conditions look really good apparently. There'll be rares waiting...White Winged Lark?

Another thing (to everyone in general) - What do you all have against David? Calm down everyone! If you don't like the idea of a bird race, don't have a go at people. Just don't say anything.

Now lets chill (as others have said) and talk about other things...we won't get anywhere by arguing and slagging off others.

Anyone planning any birding trips soon? James, Connor and I are walking Blakeney on May 10th...hopefully get something there.

Please, someone help me change the conversation!!!:eek!:

Erm...well...he started it;) (firmly tounge in cheek!(for all those who dont get sarcasm)) oh btw, at the start the bird race was offered as a question, who wants to do it? kind of thing, and then it took over the thread and became no fun for those who said it wouldnt work.

I'm going birding this weekend, but I actually haven't got a clue where to go, considering it's a Bank holiday and that rules out anywhere near a motorway/coast/rspb honeypot...help please;)

I'm going to Norfolk from friday to sunday with my WEX group (get to miss a day of school :bounce::bounce::bounce:)

should be a couple of lifers in there joe and steve ;) never know what might turn up

i agree with lee (and menz ;)). we all have different opinions on daves little projects, personally although i couldn't do the birdrace i hope that those who took part enjoyed themselves (which is the main thing lol :t:). keep up the enthusiasm dave it starts to slip away once you've seen all the common stuff coz new birds are hard to come by.

hope everyones had a good day :t:

tom

Depends what sort of transport you have Steve! If it was me I'd get to the coast near first light to avoid the traffic, maybe the Waxham/Winterton area. Or perhaps Lakenheath? Or you could just go somewhere random you've never been before. Hope you have a good day anyway!

Also good luck to you Tom, looking forward to a report of your weekend exploits!

Cool good luck Lee. Advice to birders in general. Get to the East coast if possible this weekend as the conditions look really good apparently. There'll be rares waiting...White Winged Lark?

You are joking aren't ya. I went to the East coast LAST weekend. But i can't complain though, King eider, Lesser yellowlegs, loads of Yellow wags, and much more.

Anyone apart from Ashley Howe and myself doing Scilly this October? (That question isn't aimed at David btw).
Joe

PS. David you haven't replied to my original point, although you had time to get all hot-headed, you didn't actually mention people's totals. Also would be interested to know exactly who took part.
I'm off now to revise my Rock Pipit ID.
Joe

Depends what sort of transport you have Steve! If it was me I'd get to the coast near first light to avoid the traffic, maybe the Waxham/Winterton area. Or perhaps Lakenheath? Or you could just go somewhere random you've never been before. Hope you have a good day anyway!

Also good luck to you Tom, looking forward to a report of your weekend exploits!

I got one dad complete with car, who drives anywhere in east anglia and spots some birds for me. Waxham/winterton is about the most painful location to get to because you gotta go through narwich...Lakenheath? it's only really good at the crack of dawn and when the orioles are back, which I dont think they are?...I do fancy a dawn/dusk trip though to somewhere, but the roads are gonna be packed out with bank holiday traffic which is a pain.

I got one dad complete with car, who drives anywhere in east anglia and spots some birds for me. Waxham/winterton is about the most painful location to get to because you gotta go through narwich...Lakenheath? it's only really good at the crack of dawn and when the orioles are back, which I dont think they are?...I do fancy a dawn/dusk trip though to somewhere, but the roads are gonna be packed out with bank holiday traffic which is a pain.

How about Holme?! Underwatched and a good birding location with a good mix of habitats (honestly, even though I may be slightly biased...). Anyhow that where I'll be on Saturday...

Connor

Steve - Go somewhere underwatched on the East coast. Try to avoid Norwich, Cromer and Great Yarmouth though! Thorpeness has a good clifftop wood, as do many places in East Norfolk (Waxham, Winterton, Trimingham, etc.) But try and get it central, you never know what turn up (I know most people are against twitchers, but lets face it - we've all done it before and would do it again if it was for a really good bird!)
Got nothing against Holme Connor, but its probably a bit too far west for something really decent this weekend. Good luck though!
But Steve - try and go somewhere underwatched yet fairly central basically.
Good luck everyone! Look forward to all the reports...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back