• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Mastermind round 9 (2 Viewers)

Jane Turner

Same rules...all could have been taken in the WP, 4 main ones and a very tricksy tie-breaker

Attachments

• 9.1.JPG
    9.1.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 167
  • 9.2.JPG
    9.2.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 150
  • 9.3.JPG
    9.3.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 161
  • 9.4.JPG
    9.4.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 165
1. Common Buzzard
2. Red-breasted Fly??
3. Cliff Swallow
4. Siberian Chiffchaff

and I'm going to back Harry's inspirational choice of Eastern Bonelli's for the tiebreaker.

1. Short-toed Eagle
2. Redstart (f) ???
3. Crag Martin?
4. Dusky Warbler

Tie-breaker......I'll have a stab at Sibe Chiffchaff....cos it's calling and it looks like autumn!

Ok..thats the minimum 4 guesses.

Of the main 4 all have been named, though three is the max for any one person.

The tiebreaker is so far unguessed.

Short-toed Eagle
Red-breasted Fly
Crag Martin
Dusky Warbler

Tiebreaker - looks a bit too big-headed for a Phyllosc. I'm going to be daring and say Desert Warbler, and even say which one: Meols, Cheshire, 28/10 - 22/11 1979

Michael

I will try with
Circaetus gallicus
ficedula parva-thats red breasted flycatcher I suppose
Cliff swallow
Chiffchaff

and the Tiebreaker looks like a Phylloscopus to me, well I really dont know. I will just guess at trochiloides, in an Acer Tree, maybe Acer platanoides.

On second thought, the Tiebreaker could also be a Hippolais species... pallidus perhaps?
Looks right for that, but did that ever reach Western / Middle Europe? I can´t recall that at the moment...

No one has got better than three still, though all birds have now been named correctly. The tie-breaker was miraculous, I've never seen this species more than 2ft off the ground before, let alone in a tree.

To make it easier and clear the way for the next one.

Attachments

• 9.2.1.JPG
    9.2.1.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 147
  • 9.3.1.JPG
    9.3.1.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back