• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackbird singing in the dead of night? London, England (1 Viewer)

cebollita

Hi! I am in London, and last night, as I left a train station at 11:30PM, I heard a bird tweeting in a group of bushes. I went over to investigate, and it was a male blackbird. I wondered if he was injured or something, but he looked fine. Not singing, but tweeting, and poking around in the dirt.

I remembered the line, "blackbird singing in the dead of night" from a Beatles song (is it called 'Blackbird'?). Anyway, is this normal behavior? What is this about? Don't they roost at night?

Any info gratefully received!

Michele

I remembered the line, "blackbird singing in the dead of night" from a Beatles song (is it called 'Blackbird'?). Anyway, is this normal behavior? What is this about? Don't they roost at night?

Any info gratefully received!

Michele

It is called Blackbird. As to why it was singing... sometimes bright street lights confuse birds as to what time of day it is. is that a possibility?
Chris

Robins are renowned for singing by streetlight so it may have decide to mimic them. I vaguely recall having heard Blackbirds singing at night but that was some years back.

CB

blackbirds do sing at night - so do some other birds like robins, grasshopper warb and nightingales.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back