• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swiss Navy binoculars ! (1 Viewer)

However, I'm not so happy with Robert calling The Sound of Music 'infamous'. Robert, please listen! There's only one not-so-good song in The Sound of Music, and if you can't stand the voice of Julie Andrews (pity you!) take the ouverture, which says it all. This is some of Richard Rogers' greatest music. Which means this is some of America's greatest music. Pardon me. ... Renze

Correction accepted, apologies profusely offerred. In the maritime musical heat of passion and being a bit keypad impaired, I was rushed and sloppy, and meant to say "most famous, indeed most sublimely cherished, Mission Sound of Music and their ill-fated naval ascent of the Alps". "I kid you not", he says, as he listens to Brubeck's "My Favorite Things - Jazz Interpretations of the Richard Rogers Songbook".

Oh God! Did I just offend someone else?

Last edited:
Dear binocular historians,

Please have a good hard look at eBay item 220116003490.
No, I don't mean the binoculars, I mean the brand!

As every Dutch schoolchild from the age of 11 knows, the Swiss Navy was defeated by our fleet, led by admiral Michiel Adriaenszoon de Ruyter, in Syracuse Bay on February 30, 1676. Not one of their vessels ever returned from this famous battle.

best regards,

Renze

I just had a look at them on ebay, and I've got to tell you: if you're into cheap plastic crap, this could be an exciting collector's discovery. Authentic "Swiss" Navy Binoculars, made by Xiang Guang! Now that spells quality. No wonder they're already up to their starting bid of 9.99 GBP with a day to go!

Last edited:
I just had a look at them on ebay, and I've got to tell you: if you're into cheap plastic crap, this could be an exciting collector's discovery.
You could be right, Robert. Rather casts doubt on my theory that the other item could be a mislisting of a genuine Swiss Navy uniform (felt sure it was the same as the one in the video). I assumed the bells had just fallen off through normal wear and tear. Oh well :-C

I just had a look at them on ebay, and I've got to tell you: if you're into cheap plastic crap, this could be an exciting collector's discovery. Authentic "Swiss" Navy Binoculars, made by Xiang Guang! Now that spells quality. No wonder they're already up to their starting bid of 9.99 GBP with a day to go!

I seem to remember BF-subscriber Pinewood once mentioned his brother bought them (for his children?). So it's possible he checked them out.

I do see at least one good thing: the cheerful colours. Sometimes I get the impression people are looking through binoculars because it's depressing to look at them. Not so with these.

Renze

Last edited:
I'm so sorry. Because I was only interested in the box, I never looked any further.
So the cruel truth is you'll buy yourself a nice, colourful box with a cheerful pair of binoculars pictured on it, and inside you'll find a black monster.

I don't like this at all.

Renze

I'm so sorry. Because I was only interested in the box, I never looked any further.
So the cruel truth is you'll buy yourself a nice, colourful box with a cheerful pair of binoculars pictured on it, and inside you'll find a black monster.

I don't like this at all.

Renze

And that's why the Compte de Buffon invaded Liechtenstein via the most melodious Julie Andrews Pass, resulting in the tragic incident on Lake Geneva with the Burgermeister's daughter - for which I already apologized.

See how it all fits together now?

Last edited:
You mean the incident involving the Burgermeister's daughter? So sorry! I can explain that.

I am sure you can 8-P

I think I've heard the story before:

"I stood under your bedroom window
Throwing up a brick
No one came I threw one more
That really did the trick

Your daddy came and banged my head
He said what kind of man
Is this that's hanging 'round my girl
And threw me in the can

You're a farmer's daughter
You're a farmer's daughter
Why do I always get
The kinda girl I didn't oughta get
I won't get no more eggs and water
Now I've laid the farmer's daughter

Imagine I was a full-grown man
And I could talk just right
Could I come and see you here
And do this every night

Wham! The door comes crashing down
Your daddy's face all pale
Says come with me you hairy bum
I'll put you in my jail

You're a judge's daughter
You're a judge's daughter
Why do I always get
The kinda girl I didn't oughta v et
Now I'm getting jail and torture
'Cause I made the judge's daughter

It seems they're screaming law and order
When I go with anyone's daughter

Woman I should like some peace
And daddy hold your tongue
I think you're gonna die of fright
When I tell you what I've done

I can hear your tales and lies
You say I'm dumb and scraggy
But man this dumb and scraggy is
Your daughter's baby's daddy

She's a lucky daughter
Such a lucky daughter
Why did I always get
The kinda girl I didn't wanna get
Now I've got what I always fought for
'Cause I've married a rich man's daughter"

(Music&Lyrics: Deep Purple)

Last edited:
resulting in the tragic incident on Lake Geneva with the Burgermeister's daughter - for which I already apologized.
See how it all fits together now?

I think someone must have been sitting in a tree with a pair of those famous Swiss Navy Binoculars overseeing what happened to the mayor's daughter, so we will shortly get an eye-witness report in due course.
Robert, you are lucky the HBI (Helvatic Bureau of Investigation) at that time had been busy with another tragic affair.
It was the tragic event I was referring to in the first place:
I was at the library to check a few technical details about the swiss air-craft carrier "SOS* Alphorn". From the ASA** - a major reference work of maritime mountaineering - I learned that the Confederatio Helvetica in addition to their air-craft carrier also onced had a submarine - the "SHS Emmental***", which sank during its first test run on Lake Geneva (Robert, if you had not been so busy with the mayor's daughter you'd know about it).
All the unlucky vessel, meant to be the emerald in the crown of Switzerland's Navy, left was a string of bubbles that rose to the lake's surface.

The commission that investigated the catastrophe discovered that the accident had been caused by the sub's new periscope. The swiss navy had equipped the Emmental with a brandnew Swarovsky EL-type periscope which had holes and slits that let in water which restricted the boat's diving capabilities to 1. The chairman of that prestigious commission has posted the results of the investigation on another BF thread.
The american physicist Feynman who also discovered the cause of the Challenger space-shuttle explosion pointed out that the Geneva disaster could have been prevented had the holes in the periscope been sealed with molten swiss fondue cheese.
Rumours have it Swarovski will certify this material for use on its binoculars, too (patent pending).

That's all, folks, for today's news show from old Europe.

Uncle Tom

*Switzerland's Only Ship
**Alpine Seafaring Almanach
***Switzerland's Heavierthanwater Submarine

Tom, Norm, Renze ---

I can see from the clock that you're all just starting your day as I am just now setting off to bed (damn you, round planet!). So I will pick this up in the Pacific coast AM, but will leave Tom with a question for the time being:

This periscope "thingy" on Lago Putana -- did it suffer from a "jerky focus wheel"?

This periscope "thingy" on Lago Putana -- did it suffer from a "jerky focus wheel"?

Switzerland's soldiers are the world's most sought-after snipers ... because they are sooo relaxed (even when un-doped). The down-side is: before the swiss captain focussed his periscope the US Navy would turn the Nimitz by 180 degrees. That's why the SHS Emmental had a fix-focus periscope (custom-made) and an automatic gear-box.
The logo on the periscope was not the usual Swaro Harrier but a Red Herring.

Admiral Blackbeard

Thank you Tom, for quoting a song on Birdforum. With all its beautiful repeats it reminds me strongly of a certain bird singing in my garden for the last couple of years. But not this year! So this fills a gap, Im happy.

Renze

Given the association with the above-mentioned disco hit, I suppose it was a gay song ...... the bird in the garden.

Tom

Last edited:
(damn you, round planet!).

What a silly remark!
Of course it is round.
All discs are round!
That' why they are called platenets in the first place.
A nice round disc is probably the best that could be achieved during six days of moulding primeval clay.
What did you expect - an octagon?
Today's customers - ever so demanding, ever so exacting.
Be glad and grateful that you are lucky enough to live on the top side; if you lived on the bottom side the first thing every morning you'd had to do was to put glue on the soles of your shoes.

I worked near Montreaux (still can't spell it mind) and I think I'm right in saying one of the islands on the lake belongs to England/Britain (which ever is the pc way of describing it) perhaps the navy patrol the exclusion zone around this??
As for the birds - perhaps should consider chartering one of the boats for a jolly on Lac Leman. There are numerous water birds for one. You can also put the binoculars to great use and kill two birds with one stone.......

Gentlemen,

Right now, I've got nothin'!

Norm, I fully appreciate your reference to the "toboggonist". Very "Spot on", "silly sketch, let's all move on, then" -- abosolutely nostalgic and brilliant.

Tom, I'm afraid I'm going to have to visit the Library of Congress to adequately review your historical references. I CAN keep up with you, but ONLY with a nine hour round planet time lag for additional research and cerebro-comical commentary. You are one smart and funny man! May Darwin Bless you! (Your CD collection must be obscenely wonderful)!

Renze, You are a sweet man. If I were more like you I'd be a better person.

SwissBoy -- these are your waters, literally. So I shall tread water softly, out of respect for your beautiful and sublime country, until my punchline is fully concocted, hillarious to all - offensive to none (yeh, right, good luck with that Robert/Seattle!).

OK, all -- more soon! Got to do my homework!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back