• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Last 5 Birds- Florida (1 Viewer)

chris8030

Here's the last few pics I need id's on. Thank you all for your help!

1. Brooksville, Florida - A pair of purple finches??
IMG_9155.jpg

2. Titusville, Florida - I think laughing and ring-billed juviniles but just want to be sure.
IMG_8225.jpg

3. Everglades, NP
IMG_8780.jpg

4. Everglades, NP
IMG_3922.jpg

5. Jacksonsville - A longshot I know....
IMG_3044.jpg

1 House Finch & Chipping Sparrow

2 Laughing Gull and Ring-billed Gull

3 Least Sandpiper (think legs look dark because of shadow)

4 Worn Laughing Gull

5 A frog? ;-)

Best,
Jim

1. Male House Finch and what looks to be a female House Sparrow Edited this, I agree on Chipping Sparrow.

Attachments

• IMG0606crop.jpg
    IMG0606crop.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
1. House Finch (male) & Chipping Sparrow
2. Laughing Gull & Herring Gull
3. Western Sandpiper, Calidris mauri, longer, stouter bill than Least Sandpiper, also a sight drop to the end. Black legs. See also here:
4. Laughing Gull
5. ? Are you serious! ;) Looks like "a partridge in a pear tree" or a "pear in a eucalyptus tree"!

1. House Finch (male) & Chipping Sparrow
2. Laughing Gull & Herring Gull
3. Western Sandpiper, Calidris mauri, longer, stouter bill than Least Sandpiper, also a sight drop to the end. Black legs. See also here:

Definitely a Ring-billed Gull with the Laughing in 2. A 2cy bird I believe. Herring would be almost twice the size of Laughing and would have a much more pronounced gonydeal expansion, among many other things.

Regarding the peep, I did pause on this one before deciding on Least, but Least also has a slight droop to the bill at the end, and Western's don't have the dense brown breast band this bird shows (AFAIK). And as already stated, you can't tell leg color when a bird's legs are in shadow! That's why you need to learn other ways to ID peeps.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
Another vote for Western on #3 because of the large, thick bill. Looks like it has the right amount of cheek patch and also it is pretty high off the ground for a Least.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back