• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coastal SC USA - Great or Snowy Egret? (1 Viewer)

TheNdssom

I thought this was a Great Egret because of the black legs and greenish lores, but my Sibley book now shows something different than what I matched online. It didn't seem big enough to be a great egret, but I went on the coloring. Can anybody confirm which one it is so I can change the info on the picture.
Great or Snowy?

Last edited:
Great Egret. The Great Egret can appear quite small, particularly when seen close up.

Last edited:
Hi Nature,
Sometimes on-line the wrong bird is posted on a photo. One easy way to tell a Snowy is yellow feet, also the bill on your bird is large and lightly colored compared to a Snowy. I agree with Fugl--you have a Great Egret.

Last edited:
Please start from the opus page: http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Welcome

There is a concerted effort to make sure that a bird shown on the opus page is correctly identified. From there, there is a search link to search for the same species in the bf gallery: again, many more correctly identified birds than present in most google searches.

Niels

Donna,

Agree with the above. The easy way to tell Great Egret from Snowy Egret is that Great has yellow bill and Snowy has a black bill (though in summer and early fall juvenile Snowy's can have a pale bluish bill with a dark tip--but not yellow). Your bird has a yellow bill, so it's obviously a Great Egret.

Best,
Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back