• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My cat brought in a baby bird, can you help me figure out what it is? (1 Viewer)

meghic

Hi Everyone!

My cat has brought in a very tiny bird, its eyes are hardly open and there is almost no feathers. but he is a fighter, i've named him Charlie. He was brought in at about 5 am this morning and right now he is sitting on my lap in a box taking a nap after his supper (mix of sesame cracker and cat food).

I need to find out what type of bird he is so i'll know if i should feed him meal worms that i got from the pet shop earlier today.

I've attached pictures. Please help! Any advice would be great too. The nearest vet that takes in wildlife is way out of the city and the animal rescue people haven't returned my calls.

Thanks Megan

Attachments

• file.JPG
    file.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 112
  • file2.jpg
    file2.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 116
meghic said:
Hi Everyone!

My cat has brought in a very tiny bird, its eyes are hardly open and there is almost no feathers. but he is a fighter, i've named him Charlie. He was brought in at about 5 am this morning and right now he is sitting on my lap in a box taking a nap after his supper (mix of sesame cracker and cat food).

I need to find out what type of bird he is so i'll know if i should feed him meal worms that i got from the pet shop earlier today.

I've attached pictures. Please help! Any advice would be great too. The nearest vet that takes in wildlife is way out of the city and the animal rescue people haven't returned my calls.

Thanks Megan

" He is sitting on my lap taking a nap " Are you shure it's not dead..............

Its very hard to tell what type of bird it is at such a young age If I were to have a guess I would have to say it's probably a Oystercatcher................

Hope it lives !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

theshark said:
" He is sitting on my lap taking a nap " Are you shure it's not dead..............

Its very hard to tell what type of bird it is at such a young age If I were to have a guess I would have to say it's probably a Oystercatcher................

Hope it lives !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No definitely not dead, but I think it may need to go to the bathroom and is having some trouble. He hasn't eaten now in half an hour so i'm starting to get worried.

Anyone know how to help get a BM started with a bird?

I don't think its an oystercatcher either, its a pretty common Georgia bird. the adults are grey all over. Thanks for your help anyway.

Hello Meghic and welcome to BirdForum from those of us on staff.

It is NOT an Oystercatcher. Possibly a Mockingbird but I cannot even guarantee that I.D.

Here are three wildlilfe rehabbers in the Atlanta Area:

Georgia, Central region (Atlanta)..... 770-653-9199

Carolyn Karrh, Cottontail Rehab [email protected] Wildlife Species: wild baby cottontail rabbits only; will also take adult wild cottontail rabbits (sick or injured) Comments: Veterinary Technician and vet student Georgia, Central region (Atlanta)..... 770-720-1847

Monteen McCord (Director/Master Falconer), HawkTalk, Speaking For The Wild [email protected] Wildlife Species: raptors ONLY Georgia, Central region (Atlanta)..... 404-255-0079 (home) or 404-944-6770 (cell)

Sandy Mitchell, Wildlife Care of Sandy Springs [email protected] Wildlife Species: squirrels, flyers, and other small mammals I'm going to beg you to be persistent in calling these guys. They are probably inundated with fledglings that have met the same demise as yours and that is why you are not hearing back from them but keep trying.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back