• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with beginner setup (1 Viewer)

wesblake

Hello all. I'm totally new to digiscoping/birding but am interested in trying it out. What I'm hoping to find is help on a less expensive beginner setup. For example, I previously had a Nikon Coolpix 990 which many suggested the Kenko 8x32 monocular scope for a good inexpensive beginner setup (only I never got to it before). I recently got a newer Sony DSC-W7 (loved the 990, but wanted compatability with my PSP for reviewing) and would love suggestions on how to get a similar setup with that, hoping to stay under a couple hundred dollars. (I believe the Kenko was ~$150 with an adapter). The only thing I know for sure is that Sony says it requires an adapter (30mm I believe) which is one of those tube type, I'm assuming because it has a lense that pops out about the length of that adapter when it's turned on.
Thanks all for any help, can't wait to get started!
P.S., any suggestions also for thrid party wide angle lenses vs. the Sony brand ones? The Sony lenses seem to be about double the price of the others I've come across (Kenko, Crystal Optics, etc) so I'm wondering if they are really worth the extra price or if there are 3rd party ones that are just as good.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back