• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Pentax for a manual lens/scope?? (1 Viewer)

punta

Not sure if anyone can help me with this, but I thought I would try this thread and see. ;)

Quick question - is the Pentax K-X the same as the K20D and K10D with reference to metering and focus confirm with manual lens or a scope? I am after a camera for my astroscope and was thinking of going down the Pentax route, as I do not want to mess about with the AF/metering chips

Which would be the best one to get please?

Paul

Hello Paul. I used old Pentaxes and would suggest the newer models have better sensors than older ones which would be important for astro work. I have a K10 and it's very dark and grainy I think compared to a K5.
I don't know much about the K-x but suggest you read up about it compared to K5. I reckon the K5 is not sooo expensive now and is the best current Pentax DSLR. The K-x might have a similar or same sensor so I'd search about that if I was you. Go for a K-5 if in doubt. You could search DPreview about astro photography and K-5 there I think. I think I recall the topic there a year ago.

Cheers

Thanks for the info - the K5 seems to be a lot of money when I looked on ebay :( Might have to stick with my Canon. The 10K and 20K were more in my price range :(

Go for the KX

Hi,

The KX would I think be an excellent choice for an Astro scope having a very good low light/high iso sensor, even better for that purpose than the more upmarket K7 I use.

Specifically for your questions it meters fine with manual lenses of all types, of these you will find the A lenses more convenient (with all Pentaxes not just the MX) but it will meter fine with the older K and M lenses and even the ancient stop down screw-mount lenses. It will do focus confirmation for you but unlike more expensive models will not show in the viewfinder which focus point has been selected.

It is a lot of camera for the money ....

Rgds,
Rob.

Hi,

The KX would I think be an excellent choice for an Astro scope having a very good low light/high iso sensor, even better for that purpose than the more upmarket K7 I use.

Specifically for your questions it meters fine with manual lenses of all types, of these you will find the A lenses more convenient (with all Pentaxes not just the MX) but it will meter fine with the older K and M lenses and even the ancient stop down screw-mount lenses. It will do focus confirmation for you but unlike more expensive models will not show in the viewfinder which focus point has been selected.

It is a lot of camera for the money ....

Rgds,
Rob.

Exactly as Rob says - the Kx is a super camera for such little money, blowing away other entry level cameras such as the Nikon 3100. Though both have excellent low light capability.

I had a K7 and now use 2xK5s (not for scoping) but in all honesty for what you need the Kx is an excellent camera and can be picked up for just a few hundred dollars used.

If you plan on using the camera for only occasional scoping but mainly as your prime camera for all your photography then I'd honestly save your money for the superb K5, at US$850 (just about double a body-only new Kx) they are practically giving away a class leading camera now.

The K-r is another option....The K-r is an improved version of the K-x, with a better, -res, screen (same resolution as the K-5) and Auto-focus area confirmation, a feature that was left out of the K-x feature list..Not that matters for Astro photograpy that much,but good improvements for general photography. Price for the K-r is in similar range with other entry levels,included the K-x

Thanks guys i am now looking at getting the kx or kr. I think the kx is probably more in my price range - so over to ebay i will go :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back