• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic FZ150 (2 Viewers)

Hi Hobbes,

No noise reduction to the subject, just the BG. I reduce the NR in-camera as I don't trust it to decide what's detail and what's not. I can't remember the last time I felt noise reduction was needed on the subject, though I might have done it for under exposed shots.

I'll upload an unprocessed picture later if I remember

Hi Chris
Good point about the NR. I always turn mine down by -1 because of the artifacts it can produce. I hadn't thought to turn it right down. I shall give it a try.

Ok, will look forward to your upload later although I know you've got the docs today etc, so no worries if you forget ;)
All the best
Hobbes

Here's the untouched image, Hobbes; although I think general sharpening is applied during resizing:

And the 2 after are also @ ISO 800 and through the window etc, but these have had no noise reduction applied, just sharpened etc, the last is full frame.

You'll notice that I've cloned out the red string in the original, as I found it distracting. I should add that the windows weren't very clean for the first shot, so some of the "noise" could be dirt |=)|

All images have EXIF embedded

Attachments

• P1030196RGpfnoPP.JPG
    P1030196RGpfnoPP.JPG
    250.8 KB · Views: 140
  • P1020753RGpf9003.JPG
    P1020753RGpf9003.JPG
    265.6 KB · Views: 151
  • P1020744ffRGpf900.JPG
    P1020744ffRGpf900.JPG
    271.8 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Here's the untouched image, Hobbes; although I think general sharpening is applied during resizing:

And the 2 after are also @ ISO 800 and through the window etc, but these have had no noise reduction applied, just sharpened etc, the last is full frame.

You'll notice that I've cloned out the red string in the original, as I found it distracting. I should add that the windows weren't very clean for the first shot, so some of the "noise" could be dirt |=)|

All images have EXIF embedded

Hi Chris
Thanks for uploading those. I am seriously impressed with the clarity of the images. I think turning down the NR is the way forward!
All the best
Hobbes

I think RAW would be the way to go if you had the time, Hobbes, as even at -2 there's still noise reduction applied to the JPEGS.

Failing that, you could also try -2 for Sharpening, as that helps with noise. It all depends on what Sharpening you apply in processing. I only use free software (Photofiltre) to edit, so I'd assume others will have a different system/approach using Photoshop etc.

ATM, after taking 3597 pictures (I've been good, and showed restraint since I got the camera last week|=)| ), I'm surprised at just how good the FZ150 is. I really don't want it to do anything else. I've even taken pics at ISO 1600 that I'm pleased with.

TBH, we're not selling our pics to magazines, and we're not printing them at A3 and hanging them on a wall (although, I'd guess the pics might look good as you're not sticking your nose against the picture to look at it on a wall ;) ); so even a small sensor is enough for our needs, well it is for mine |=)|

Zoom question

Would someone be kind enough to explain the zoom function on the FZ150 please and how to set it up. I have only had the camera one day and despite reading the full manual thoroughly and viewing You Tube video tutorials I am still in the dark. Every setting I try only gives me X24 zoom. I must be doing something wrong. How do I get more please?

Many thanks
Amelia

Would someone be kind enough to explain the zoom function on the FZ150 please and how to set it up. I have only had the camera one day and despite reading the full manual thoroughly and viewing You Tube video tutorials I am still in the dark. Every setting I try only gives me X24 zoom. I must be doing something wrong. How do I get more please?

Many thanks
Amelia

x24 is the full optical zoom at 12mp. You can use the digital zoom but i wouldn't recommend it.

I would still like to know how to select/set it please.

A

Select the menu, scroll down until you see I.R Resolution, go right then select I Zoom. this will give you 32X. If you really want digital zoom its the next one down the menu from I. R Resolution but as J D says its not much use.

Lewis

I would still like to know how to select/set it please.

A

I did comparisons with izoom and digital zoom on my FZ150 and found that digital zoom actually gave a slightly better result than the izoom. You can see the result here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62434662@N05/6917447484/in/photostream

Its not supposed to be like that but that's how it turned out on my camera. If you change your picture size to 8mp, the the izoom will go out to 39x. That's a pretty handy zoom range. I have found that the 39x gives quite reasonable results, certainly better than the Sony teleconverter I was using. In fact it was so much better than my TC, that I stopped using it. There are better TCs around and they give better results than I got with mine.

Hi, I have tried using silkypix for raw but find it very complicated (although, never really done much raw shooting before, so it doesnt take much to confuse me :) ) just wondered if anyone could recommend software that can take raw files from the fz150, something nice and simple would be good :) I have corel photoimpact x3, that I use normally for jpg's but it doesnt accept the raw files from this camera. Thanks, jacqui.

I use ACDSee Pro6 for raw images from my GH2, and just checked that FZ150 also was supported. In addition to the editing options you will also get a great photo manager. http://www.acdsee.com/en/products/acdsee-pro-6 (Hint: if you download the trial version (full featured for one month without paying) you will almost certainly get offers during that time that are cheaper than the price on the website.)

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back