• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron Regal 80F-ED / Gimbal / Tripod (1 Viewer)

DoghouseRiley

Hi All.
I would like a bit of advice please. Sometime this week I should get my first scope, as above. I have had the chance to use gimbal when I borrowed a scope and it seemed to work pretty well for me. It was a Beike and although very cheap, I quite liked it.
If I run with this set-up, and perhaps a compact for digiscoping, I will need a substantial tripod and my budget will mean a used tripod.
I have found a number of tripids on ebay: Velbon Ultra 655, Velbon Ultra Maxi F, Velbon EL Carmagne 530, and Velbon Sherpa 600, and would like some advice to help me decide on which would be most suitable. If any of them.
Also is a gimbal a good idea? Would a different head be better?
Thanks. Gareth

Hi,

the latter two have 3 piece legs and are preferable in my opinion (less joints and thicker lower section = less shake). I have a version of the Carmagne 530 with twist lock legs which is very stable with a 500AH head plus scope and sometimes camera.

Cannot really comment on gimbal as I haven't used one.

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back