• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help ID this Bushnell 20x50 Monocular / Spotting Scope (1 Viewer)

emc2guru

Hello, I could not find any information or even a photo of one that looks similar to this Bushnell 20x50 spotting scope, through my searching, it seems to be known as a "Monocular". I wondering if anyone here could help me identify the model or point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance for any help or information!

Attachments

• 100_3755.JPG
    100_3755.JPG
    538.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 100_3757.JPG
    100_3757.JPG
    793.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 100_3758.JPG
    100_3758.JPG
    808.8 KB · Views: 62
Hi,

first of all, welcome to BF!

Regarding your monocular, the printed data are most certainly wrong. It states 20x magnification, 50mm aperture and a true field of 119m/1000m. The true field in m divided by 17.45m gives a true angular field of 6.8 degrees and thus an apparent field of view of a whopping 136 degrees (give or take some due to distortion).

Wide angle binoculars usually have eyepieces of 60-70 degrees afov, the widest astro eyepieces are at 120 degrees (those are hefty chunks of glass weighting as much as a normal pair of bins).

So you might want to check if this is really 20x - it should be quite hard to hold steady then - in that case the true field given is probably wrong.

Or it's actually half of a pair of 7x50 bins which fits the field perfectly. Speaking of half a pair of bins - this looks very much like a pair of cheap porro individual focus bins split in half and crudely fitted with a kind of pistol grip.

I would be surprised if this was ever being sold by Bushnell...

Sorry,

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back