• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbirds in museum (1 Viewer)

I am working on identification of bird specimens in one local museum in Slovakia and I found several hummingbird species there. Unfortunatelly, there is given no locality to each specimen (but the most probable localities are Cuba, Ecuador and Argentina). I guess that specimen in left upper corner might be Sephanoides sephaniodes, next to him is some African sunbird and long-tailed hummingbird might be Lesbia victoriae. In three remaining specimens I have no idea about identification. Is somebody able to determine these birds to species level? Thank you very much for your help.

Attachments

• DSC03543.JPG
    DSC03543.JPG
    194.4 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC03544.JPG
    DSC03544.JPG
    253.7 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC03545.JPG
    DSC03545.JPG
    217.4 KB · Views: 101
I think the two you've identified are probably correct. Is it possible for you to take photos of each hummer individually? The group shot does give some idea as to relative size and proportion, but it's hard to see much detail on the individual birds. If you could add any features that you notice on each bird, that would really help as well. Please confirm about the unidentified hummers:
- smaller than the (presumed) Firecrown
- no postocular spot
- straight, all-black, medium length bill (no Amazilias!)
Good luck!

Many thanks fo your help!
All unidentified specimens are definitelly smaller than Firecrown. It seems that left and central specimen do not have any postocular spot but the right one seems to have some paler area behind the eye. Left specimen has also paler lower mandible, upper mandible is much darker. Central specimen has again paler lower mandible but also base of upper mandible is pale. Right-specimen has all-black bill. Bills in all three specimens are straight.

The long-tailed hummingbird must be a Black-tailed Trainbearer. The sunbird is a Splendid Sunbird. The other hummingbirds are too difficult for me...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back