• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to go bird watching snowdonia this weekend (1 Viewer)

leonardo_simon

I'll be in Snowdonia this weekend - staying near Betws-y-Coed

Please could someone recommend me some good places to go bird watching?

ideally within an hours drive, , and not right next to a big road. After some tranquility.

So far South Stack is on my list, and RSPB Conwy not (very nice but next to big road)

thanks

Interoception,
Newborough Warren is about as tranquil as it gets. It's a mixed habitat nature reserve tucked in the southernmost point of Anglesey. Anything can turn up on the warren itself while the adjacent Forrest is the haunt of Raven and Crossbill.

Can I also add that, although South Stack is spectacular, it might be a little disappointing this time of year, unless Chough is on your list, or you're planning to sea watch.

Can endorse Spinnies, an excellent little reserve. The info services have been reporting Hawfinches around the Church at Llanbedr-y-cennin, might be worth an early morning. Saw a couple of Red Squirrels at Parc Llyn Mawr near Newburgh on Anglesey the other day, but with no feeders set up due to a recent case of pox found nearby they weren't easy. Inland Sea on Anglesey can also be worth a look for things like Divers, Grebes, Wildfowl etc, maybe try the slipway at nearby Trearddur Bay for Purple Sandpipers, but that really needs a high tide. I think Black Guillemots can be pretty much year round in Holyhead Harbour these days. If I think of anything else I'll pop back and add it.

Lovely gardens at Bodnant, but didn't realise Hawfinches were gettable there. Is there a strategy to seeing them here do you know?

Same as anywhere - learn their calls, and look in treetops in areas with high tree species diversity. Arboretums and major gardens are excellent habitat for Hawfinches.

Same as anywhere - learn their calls, and look in treetops in areas with high tree species diversity. Arboretums and major gardens are excellent habitat for Hawfinches.

Well, they like to roost in non-native cloaking type conifers, anyway: that's the only reason they hang out at Bedgebury and Blackwater Arboreta, and I assume its the same elsewhere. Apart from early morning/late afternoon, forget it, they disperse into the nearby forests.

John

Hi, it really depends what type of birdwatching experience you want. If S Stack is on your list, then yes the rest of Anglesey makes sense, so sites as mentioned such as Inland Sea and Holyhead Harbour, Cemlyn, Cefni Estuary, Malltraeth Marsh etc etc. Could combine with Spinnies/Traeth Lafan, Foryd Bay (AGP atm), Dinas Dinlle, Fort Belan, Porthmadog area.

Sat looks nice for weather - why not Foel Fras? Or the Migneint/Llyn Conwy area? Nice little family-run cafe up there on the moors too, all home-made scoffage.

Best bet is to have a look through the old posts on northwalesbirding.co.uk and facebook birding wales. Or buy the book by Davies & Roberts from the RSPB Visitor Centre at Conwy RSPB when u pass by on the A55. :)

Last edited:
Well, they like to roost in non-native cloaking type conifers, anyway: that's the only reason they hang out at Bedgebury and Blackwater Arboreta, and I assume its the same elsewhere. Apart from early morning/late afternoon, forget it, they disperse into the nearby forests.

John

Bodnant isn't a dense conifer plantation; it's a botanical garden with a huge variety of trees, many producing seed that Hawfinches like. And I've seen them there in the past, in the middle of the day.

I've also seen Hawfinches at lots of other botanical tree collections through the day (including RBG Kew, RBG Edinburgh, and Bedgebury); it's the best habitat for finding them in Britain.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back