• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

swans (1 Viewer)

lisa bargo

Hi- I live on the kooteni river in troy mt about 25 mi s of canada and about 11 mi east of idaho. there was a trumpeter swan in front of my house on the river for about an hour today. I would say about 2-3 yr. Very quiet- just sitting there. We have a few gaggles east in some of the lakes but this is the first trumpeter I have seen in 7 yr here. I was looking to see if shes banded but she stood with most of her legs in water until a big motor boat came up river then she flew off. I had my spotting scope on her all the way past my beach but couldn't see.

Hi Lisa

welcome to BF from the other side of the Atlantic. Must be very nice to see Swans from your house!

Hi lisa,

May I wish you a warm welcome to Birdforum from all the Admin, Staff and Moderators. I hope you enjoy your time with us.

Sounds like you had a really good visitor there. I hope to read some more of your sightings in the future.

Hello Lisa, welcome to Bird Forum. I'm sure you will enjoy the forum as much as we all do. It sounds as though you live in a great location!

Regards

I have also recently had an experience with what I am fairly sure was a trumpeter. I was spending spring break in northwestern Ohio just west of Marion. I was driving on a county road near Big Island Wildlife Area which was closed off due to endangered birds nesting. On the side of the road, less than ten feet away were the two large swans, paddling around and feeding in a murky puddle in the middle of an abandoned cornfield. I was close enough to tell that it did not have a yellow patch at the base of its bill, which is one of the major characteristics of the other possible swan, the Tundra Swan. I later in the day compared the two in size with some Black-Necked Swans in a local resident's private collection. The ones I saw were definitely larger in size than the exotics. Tundras are only slightly larger than Blacknecks. So the question still remains: Was it a couple of stray Trumpeters or a few Tundra swans on migration to their northern breeding grounds? Either Trumpeters or Tundras, it was an exciting day, one that I will remember for a long time.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back