• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bald Eagle Sightings in the mid-state? (1 Viewer)

I know this is a long shot, but has anyone in the mid-state and upstate area spotted bald eagles?

This is my first winter in the area (I live in Dutchess county) and I hear that the eagles typically come to the area between December and Feb.

I am dying to take out my telephoto gear and go chasing after the beauties, but wanted to check if there have been sightings before I start burning gas.

Avi

Don't know about Duchess County, but at least one Bald Eagle has been seen overflying Central Park in NYC this week, so they are clearly around.
It has been mild enough that there is plenty of open water, so they can get food, both fish as well as waterfowl.
The web sites from the local Audubon Societies and the Ebird listings from Cornell should allow you to home in on any nearby birds pretty efficiently.
So break out that telephoto gear. We want Eagle photos!

Go to Sullivan County, NY. From Port Jervis, NY take Route 97 along the river up through Narrowsburg and Callicoon to Hancock, NY. They stay year round in many places and have nesting sites along the river. In your case, travel west on I 84 from Newburgh, NY to Port Jervis and then take route 97 north. There are overlooks in Narrowsburg at some restaurants along the way where you often can see Eagles.

http://delawarehighlands.org/eagles

Note the link for the Eagle tour on Jan 19th. It is in PA across the river from Narrowsburg.

There is also bus and train service to Port Jervis from NYC. You can rent a car there.

Bob

Last edited:
Bob....thank you so much.....I will definitely check those out over the next few weeks...I am also going to vsit Mongaup...they have bald eagle viewing deck there..

Avi

This time of year, they are found virtually everywhere along the Hudson River and at many reservoirs. While not exactly "mid-state", it might be worth taking a gander to George's Island Park in Montrose NY this week or the next about an hour before sunset. Unless conditions are very windy (southerly/westerly winds are particularly bad for this location), you should be guaranteed at least two dozen birds.

Hi. I just joined birdforum, and this is my first post. I realize this thread is old, but it seems worth saying that I saw a bald here in High Falls, NY a couple of weeks ago. It was my third time seeing a bald eagle in the wild. He blackened the sky, flying low. It was as if the king was rolling in on his chariot. He deserved a parade behind him.

Perhaps seeing bald eagles for some people is common, but to me, it is spectacular and inspiring.

Hi. I just joined birdforum, and this is my first post. I realize this thread is old, but it seems worth saying that I saw a bald here in High Falls, NY a couple of weeks ago. It was my third time seeing a bald eagle in the wild. He blackened the sky, flying low. It was as if the king was rolling in on his chariot. He deserved a parade behind him.

Perhaps seeing bald eagles for some people is common, but to me, it is spectacular and inspiring.

Welcome to Bird Forum noglider! :hi:

See the link in the 3rd post above for more info on Bald Eagles in the Catskills. Take a trip to Narrowsburg, NY and sit on the deck at the Restaurant and watch them pass overhead!

The entire area along the banks of the Upper Delaware River is prime birding territory.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back