• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron Regal M2 or Vanguard Endeavour HD (1 Viewer)

I am looking for a reasonably priced spotting scope for viewing wildlife and raptors (primarily bald eagles along the Mississippi and Illinois River during the winter months). I have narrowed my search down to 4 models: Celestron M2 80ED, Celestron M2 65ED, Vanguard Endeavor HD 82mm or the 65mm version. I am leaning towards the Celestrons because of their capability of using other eyepieces. Has anyone done any comparisons between the Vanguard and Celestron models? Whether I choose to go the Celestron or Vanguard route the next decision is the 65mm vs 80mm version. The 80mm models should be better in low light but other than that will I see a difference between the 65mm and 80mm versions? While I could do some hiking with the scopes it will not be excessive and I don’t think the extra pound of weight of going with the 80mm version will be that big of a deal. If I had to make a decision today I would go with the Celestron M2 65ED and with the money saved from not getting the 80mm version invest in a 13 mm Baader Hyperion.

Comments or suggestions?

I don't see any fault in your logic. The only other issue I could see that you might be overlooking is the magnification range differences. Isn't the 80 mm version a 20-60 versus a 16-48 of the 65 mm? Not sure if that would matter much to you in your situation but something worth considering. If you are considering purchasing other after-market eyepieces then it might be a moot point as you could obtain the extra magnification via that method.

For what it is worth I did compare the Celestrons to the Vanguards last June at an Optics Festival in Ohio. It was a brief comparison and I hesitate in making any specific comments. The only lasting impression I have is that I would have probably opted for the Celestrons as I preferred the color rendition. More than that I cannot really say.

Wish I could help more.

Hi Calhoun, I don't have the Celestron M2 but have both the previous model Celestro Regal F-ED 65 and 80 scopes. I use the Baader Hyperion 17, 13 and 10mm on both the scopes, but since upgrading to the 80mm the 65mm hasn't been used much in the last 6 months. The Baaders provide a bright, sharp, wide view and are certainly a good upgrade from the very good supplied zoom. The 17mm EP (28.5X) on the 80mm is used most of the time as it gives a slightly brighter view, compared to the 13 on the 65mm, in our murky British climate. Fellow birders who own Swaro scopes were amazed at the performance for the price.
As the newer M2 has lighter weight, faster focusing and slightly improved coatings than the F-ED, I would think it is a great scope with the Baader EP's. If I were to upgrade in the future I think it would be my choice as a good value for money scope, especially with the ability to attach many different astro EP's.
Hope this helps.

Les

Hello Calhoun.
Cannot comment on the Vanguards, but i can give another vote for the Celestron. I have the previous model Regal F-ed 80 mm. i use the Baader Hyperion 13mm. Sharp, bright, wide angle and great eye relief. Good luck with your decisions. jake.

Thanks for the comments. I will go with the Celestron, but still not sure on going with the 65mm or 80mm version along with a Baader. Any more input on these two? Both use the same eyepiece but as Frank pointed out that is 48x on the 65 and 60x on the 80mm. Other that the greater magnification with the 80mm will I see an appreciable difference?

Hi Calhoun, I was at my local patch late this afternoon looking at a juvenile Red Necked Phalarope, rare in these parts, with my regal F-ED 80 with the Baader 17mm EP ( 28.5X ). The weather was overcast with the odd piece of sun breaking through. There were five experienced birders in close proximinity, two with Swarovski 65mm scopes. They had a look through the Celestron as they thought they only made astro scopes. The Swaro owners could not believe how bright and sharp the view was, especially for the money paid, in fact one of the men was inviting everyone else to look through it. I looked through their scopes and, with my eyes, thought the Celestron/Baader combination was maybe as bright or a little brighter. If I had had the 65mm Regal F-ED with the Baader 13mm EP ( 30X ) the view would have been slightly less bright than the 80mm. With the Celestron zoom I have found the 80mm to be brighter at 48X compared to the 65mm at 48X. I think the 80mm is about the same brightness at 60X as the 65mm at 48X.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
The Celestron Regal M2 80mm with the Baader 17mm eye piece

I have a 2013 Celestron Regal M2 80mm scope with a recently purchased Baader 17mm eye piece, and was in the lake district last week, where the weather was sunny and clear over Wastwater and Scafell Pike, ( England's highest mountain ). The view with the Celestron zoom was pretty good up to 2 mile, but changing to the Baader eye piece just made the view that little bit more brighter and sharper. For £700.00 for the scope and eye piece, ( $1,100 ) its a very good combination for the price. :smoke:

Last edited:
I picked up some Celestron Luminous (?) Eyepieces in Usa for around the £55 mark, and found them excellent in my Celestron M2 65, and in my other scopes which take Astro eyepieces (Pentax's),the X-cel lx's were good value at around £40 also, and were nice and bright.

Since the OP seems to have made a decision I don't feel too badly about piggybacking onto this. I am considering the Celestron Regal M2, the Vanguard Endeavor 82 and the Hawke Endurance 85.

The Celestron seems a very nice choice based on the ability to share astro eyepieces but how do the Hawke and Vanguard compare?

I am also clueless to what extent better eyepieces can compensate for potentially poorer objective coatings ( I don't know if this is true, just wondering )...........

I am trying to upgrade a little from a Leupold 60mm Ventana.

Inquisitor,

I understand what you are trying to relate with your last comment but it doesn't entirely work the way that you related it. "Better" eyepiece designs can offer improvements in areas such as field of view or size of sweet spot. The objective handles issue more along the lines of CA control, initial light gathering potential, etc...

The choice of coatings utilized certainly does affect overall performance (apparent brightness, sharpness, contrast, etc...).

Here is an easy "case in point" as I went this route a few years ago. I had the original Celestron model, the F-ED. I found the zoom eyepiece to be very good for the price. The field of view seemed a hair wider than many other modestly priced zooms plus the color saturation and contrast was above average. Later on I decided I wanted a wider field of view and greater eye relief so I bought one of the Celestron Xcel LX fixed magnification astro eyepieces. It is 1.25" so it fit into the Regal and the performance was at least as good as the Regal's factory supplied zoom but now I had a noticeably wider field of view plus slightly more neutral color representation.

The Xcel eyepiece sells for around $65 but there are countless 1.25 astro eyepieces that will potentially work with the M2 out there. The Baader Hyperion series is often mentioned here as well.

So, to offer a simple conclusion, different astro eyepieces can offer improvements in areas such as field of view, sweet spot size, color bias, color saturation, etc... They can turn a mediocre scope into a fairly good to great one.

Thanks Frank!

Does your scope get dusty and contaminated with all the eyepiece swapping? Anyway of being nitrogen purged? How does fog proofing/water proofing work with swappable eyepieces?

I don't know much at all about spotters, sorry for the fundamental questions.

Which of these three would likely give the best image "as sold" with the standard zoom?

Last edited:
Hi, The Celestron M2 80ED is a very good scope for the money, They so make a version with a 27x LER eyepiece and a free Tripod.

Mike

Thanks Frank!

Does your scope get dusty and contaminated with all the eyepiece swapping? Anyway of being nitrogen purged? How does fog proofing/water proofing work with swappable eyepieces?

I don't know much at all about spotters, sorry for the fundamental questions.

Which of these three would likely give the best image "as sold" with the standard zoom?

Inquisitor,

I actually swap eyepieces on all of my scopes and, yes, from time to time some dust/dirt particles find their way to the surface of clear glass plate that seals the prism, etc... inside the scope body. I usually just blow them off carefully with a can of compressed air.

As for the waterproofing issue in general, the scope body is sealed. You can get water/dirt on the outside "glass" where the eyepiece slides into but the inside of the scope body itself is sealed.

Some eyepieces are waterproof but many of the astro ones are not. To be honest I have never worried about that particular side of this issue. I have used non-waterproof astro eyepieces in several scopes over the years and never had any of them get condensation, etc... inside of them despite whatever conditions I used them in.

I can't really answer your last question as I am just not qualified. I only tried the Endeavor once. I have only tried the new Regal M2 on a couple of occassions but it is essentially the same optics as the Regal F-ED in a lighter housing and with better focus.

Thanks Frank,

I sort of figured it that way but as I have never held a spotting scope with interchangeable eyepieces I needed to hear it directly from someone I know has real life experience.

Currently worrying about Celestron vs Pentax. I think I may go around the other two this time.

I sort of figured it that way but as I have never held a spotting scope with interchangeable eyepieces I needed to hear it directly from someone I know has real life experience.

Just remember to keep a good dust blower handy. I always carry one in my scope bag.

A couple of strong blows when replacing the eyepiece will likely purge any dust particle that may have fallen inside.

Well I finally purchased the Regal M2 80ED with the LER eyepiece. I was going to get the zoom version and then purchase a Baader eyepiece but the LER was priced considerably less so I went with it. So now that I have the fixed 27x LER eyepiece will I see much of a benefit by getting the Baader 17 mm eyepiece? I cannot find many comments about the Regal with the LER eyepiece.

Calhoun,

If I am doing the math correctly the apparent field of view for the LER is between 54 and 55 degrees. The apparent field of view for the Baader Hyperion is 68 degrees. So it obviously has a wider true and apparent field of view in comparison to the Celestron LER. The eye relief of 32 mm (Celestron) is certainly longer than the Baader's at 20 mm but 20 mm is more than enough for eyeglass wearers.

I am not wild about the LER eyepiece. The long rubber eyecup is rather awkward to use. Have ordered the Baader 17mm and will try to sell the LER eyepiece. Will the Baader 8-24 zoom work with the Celestron? Or just get the Celestron 8-24 at half the price of the Baader? Other suggestions?

No, I think I tried that combo when I did that three way scope review a few years ago. I don't think it reached focus at infinity at some magnifications.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back