• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swaro ATS 65 HD vs Nikon Monarch (1 Viewer)

Sygus

Hello all,

I plan to buy my first spotting scope for birding. I’m a newbie, but I probably should follow some friends advice : “get something good now and you won’t have to worry about it for many many years”.

I want something compact, robust and reasonably light. I probably will use it for digiscoping but it’s not the main goal. After reading a lot of reviews and discussions, especially on birdforum, I hesitate between :
- Swaro ATS 65 HD + 25-50 (+ : very good optics, solid, quality control and after sales service)
- Nikon Monarch 82 ED + 30-60W (+: goods optics, 82 mm but still compact / - : quality control and service ?) The Monarch 60 seems nice too, and it’s cheaper but ... ?

There’s no store around here where I could try them, so I‘d appreciate some advices.
What would be your choice ? Why ?
Or would you recommend anything else ?

Thanks !

Hi,

the Monarch scopes are rather new and reviews are rare as are occasions to actually see one in a store...

PS: If that's not too big for you - there's an ATS80HD with 20-60 zoom in the classifieds from france... not my ad.

Joachim

Nikon has been making top quality scopes in the PRC for quite a while,with consistent quality standards for all i have read and experienced myself, owning several units of the ED50 over the years...Swaro has not been free of manufacture problems with their optics,even with their ATX models, although their customer service is likely to be much better than nikon's ,probably in every other continent

Thank you for the replies ! About Nikon scopes, the previous fieldscopes (III and 82) were made in China too ?
I thought the Monarchs were just a cosmetic upgrade of the III and 82ED...

PS: If that's not too big for you - there's an ATS80HD with 20-60 zoom in the classifieds from france... not my ad.
Thanks for the tip. I'll contact the seller to ask more about it, but I think I'd prefer something more compact...

Hi,

the Monarchs are completely different from the old Fieldscopes. I think at least the ED50 was built in china before - not sure about the biggers ones.

Joachim

...About Nikon scopes, the previous fieldscopes (III and 82) were made in China too ?
I thought the Monarchs were just a cosmetic upgrade of the III and 82ED...

The previous Fieldscopes and eyepieces, with the exception of the 50ED, were made in Japan. --AP

Hello!
Go for a Meopta meostar s2 82 HD instead, with 30-60x eyepiece.
excellent optics.
better optics than both swarovski and nikon.
good price from germany, 1950 Eur with eypiece.

Thank you for your proposition. Actually, I had the chance to try an ATS 65 the last week end. I think the choice is done !

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back