• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SPWA 8x36 (1 Viewer)

Binastro

Close to new condition except badly out of collimation.

I wasn't going to bother to post, but it might help the record.

Swift multi-coated optics
SPWA 8x,36
Extra Wide Angle
446ft. at 10000yds.
149m. at 1000mtrs.
(8.53 degrees claimed, doubt if I'll bother to check).

Blue Swift logo.
Blue socket spring top.

8523xx

J-B 56

White sticker 3 passed JTII so not year made.
Swift strap.
Some pincushion
Some ghosting
High index prisms.

Fairly heavy in as new case.
1152g complete with caps and straps
750g with strap.
~720g just binocular.

Brown leather as new hard case rounded sides.
Hinomoto
No 47
D Pat on brass? clasp
Japan sticker

I can't win em all.
Luckily my first disappointment in the lightweight 'HR5' series.
Life is too short to regret.
I reckon to get 1 in 3 disappointments with cameras and binoculars. That is how it is.

The internal coatings have different colour reflections in the two barrels. Two reflections differ in each, one possibly being a prism face.

There is considerable, in fact bad, flare, glare and ghosting observing at night near street lights. Large variable light rings, large light pillars and some other reflections. 5/10 Poor.

The body seems identical to a 1987 8.5x44 HR/5. The only difference is the front barrel length and objective size and a weight difference of about 100g.

The image in each barrel is good, day or night.
Although the image is a bit dim at night as my pupils are reduced from say 5.5mm plus to 4.5mm.

The exit pupils are round except for a minimal cut off.

Binastro,

We agree on the 8x36 SPWA's pros and cons. In 1985 wide angle was probably in vogue, at least Swift must have felt it was, and so Hiyoshi made a four-model SPWA series as well as a four-model SP series for them. The SPWA's have serious weaknesses indeed, mainly because of the wide angle, and so the SP's are probably te be preferred. Maybe with the exception of the 9x42 SPWA of which I have very good memories (but was I as critical then as I would be now? I'm in doubt). Anyway, some of my friends gave me favorable reports of the SP's. Notably the 8x32 could be attractive.

Renze

The case with the 9x42 has exactly the same markings as on the 8x36 case. Yet it is taller although the same width.

1985 8x36. Blue Swift logo plate. Blue Swift tripod socket spring top/plug.

1987 8.5x44 HR/5. Gold logo. Gold plug. Nice view.

1990 9x42. Blue logo. Gold plug. Fewer coatings than other two. Nice view.

The case with the 9x42 has exactly the same markings as on the 8x36 case. Yet it is taller although the same width.

1985 8x36. Blue Swift logo plate. Blue Swift tripod socket spring top/plug.

1987 8.5x44 HR/5. Gold logo. Gold plug. Nice view.

1990 9x42. Blue logo. Gold plug. Fewer coatings than other two. Nice view.

Ah, you seem to own the 9x42 SPWA. How about the flare, glare, ghosting issues in comparison to the 8x36?
And more in general, how's the 9x42 in comparison to the Audubon HR/5?

Renze

Hi Renze,
Both the 9x42 and 8.5x44 are good, but the 8.5x44 is the one that is my Go-to binocular for instant use. I prefer the larger field and handling. Also my pupils are larger than the 8.5x44 exit pupil at night.

I'll check the ghosting again.

In very poor transparency.
21.40 UT today.

I make the field size 8.33 or 8.32 degrees.
If so, and if the magnification is 8x, then the field stop must be restricted compared with other two.
From memory the 8.5x44 was 8.26 degrees.
If restricted it may explain the large complete ghost light rings varying slightly with angle from a streetlight.
I also saw dim large flat reflections at an angle from a room globe probably from prism faces.

Must research further.

This morning at 02.05 UT, using the 8x36, I had one of the best views of a nearing full Moon with a small binocular. Very high contrast and superb detail. Moon high elevation.
I think this was more to do with the the fast low cloud acting as a strong neutral density filter, as Jupiter was very dim in the 8x36 binocular.

The full moon in particular is far too bright and needs neutral density or variable polarisers for best detail.

Hi Renze.
Testing the 8.5x44 and 9x42 with a streetlight within field and just outside at all positions.
Streetlight yellow and full moon brightness. Side on, angled, with rear special shade.

Overall the 8.5x44 is somewhat better regarding ghosting, flare and glare.
There are more ghosts with 8.5x44 but less intense. In particular picked up distance lit window ghosts not seen in 9x42.
There are some reflections from the objective cells of this 8.5x44 but not the 9x42.

However, there are 4 long yellow bright thin pillar ghosts, flare, with the 9x42, at 45, 135, 225 and 315 degrees position angle approx.
These are nearly half diameter of field, and is the reason for the worse performance of the 9x42.

I picked up white moving ghosts from passing car headlights travelling at 40 kph outside. These are well outside field. Not sure which binocular, maybe both.

Picked up quite a few passing aircraft while testing , seen well.
Spent about 6 minutes testing. Quite long enough to get results.

Maybe overall 5.5/10 8.5x44. 4.5/10 9x42.

Bright Venus clear but very light polluted sky.
Venus brighter in 8.5x44. Also brighter right side faintish extension. Probably my eyes or window glass.
Venus very nice white in both binoculars.

Generally both binoculars are good except for the ghosting etc.
Both very usable, especially as I don't wear glasses with binoculars and eye relief is excellent for me.

I have not tried the 2 binoculars with Sun flare in the daytime.

My eyes probably 5.5mm pupils.

Did not yet compare 8x36, but this is a bit difficult as I have to test each barrel separately, as the binocular is well out of collimation.

8.5x44 I think I measured previously as 8.26 degrees.
Venus to Mars 7.4 degrees.
So 9x42 7.8 degrees about. (I can't remember previous measure, maybe 7.76 degrees ?).

P.S.
Just made the FOV of the 9x42 to be 7.85 degrees, but will check.

Last edited:
A friend measured the separation of Venus and Mars as 7.52 degrees on Feb 17 at 19.20 UT.
I thought it was 7.4 degrees about.

I see that my direct star measures of the 9x42 field vary from 7.72 to 7.85 degrees.
It is usually wider hand held due to slight hand movements and vision memory effects.
Also eye position, incorrect IPD separation etc. affect measurement.

It is possible that the 9x42 is using the outer parts of the prism assembly rather than central for the 8.5x44.
This may be because the length of the binoculars seem the same, so maybe the possible extra 8mm? focal length of the 9x42 objectives use width rather than length.
This is conjecture, but might account for the bright long light pillar ghosts with the 9x42.

Maybe the same case fits both.

Last edited:
Just checked the 8x36 against the 8.5x44.

8X36 is slightly less bright than the 8.5x44 and a bit less magnification.
So probably the AFOV is smaller on the 8X36.

There are two diagonal yellow flares from the streetlight, which are opposite in each barrel, making 4 in total.
These are curviliinear and less defined than the 9x42, also broader and some doubled, so somewhat less intense.
There are also varying large arcs etc and different ghosts with the streetlight in or outside field.

So the 9x42 has the worst ghosting, flare and glare, say 4.5/10. The 8x36 is better, say 5/10 and the 8.5x44 best say 5.5/10.
This is with my test methods.

I have not properly explored ghosts from lights very much outside the field, although I saw these with passing car headlights.

Just looked at crescent Venus. Best with 8.5x44 HR/5 18.35UT.
Very white and bright.
Very transparent after heavy rain today.
Would have been easier and less bright in twilight earlier but too much cloud.

First post here :)

I have a Type 3 8.5x44 and an 8x36 SPWA en route to me. Should get here next week. I can't wait to compare them to each other.

Many thanks for your information on the 8x36 Binastro. There is very little information available on the SPWA series. It appears not many where produced so I hope I have a real gem :)

First post here :)

I have a Type 3 8.5x44 and an 8x36 SPWA en route to me. Should get here next week. I can't wait to compare them to each other.

Many thanks for your information on the 8x36 Binastro. There is very little information available on the SPWA series. It appears not many where produced so I hope I have a real gem :)

Enjoy Matt, the SPWA series are among Swifts best.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back