• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please ,please tell me this is a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker. (1 Viewer)

senatore

Popped down to a local park this morning (Brueton Park in Solihull) to try and find a LS Woodpecker that had been reported there the day before "In the trees near the bridge".

My God it was cold and it being the first day of Spring!!!! Anyhow I searched for half an hour without much luck not knowing if I was in the right place or not when I saw this woody high up on a tree about 30 meters away.The pics (not too good) are attached.

I think it is a LS woody but I have been wrong before.If it is it will be a lifer.What do you think?

Max.

Attachments

• IMG_0807_filtered (Small).jpg
    IMG_0807_filtered (Small).jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_0812_filtered (Small).jpg
    IMG_0812_filtered (Small).jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 415
Lesser

Got my first lesser at Moore nature reserve in Warrington last Sunday so I know it is a great pleasure to see one of these.

The Daily Express reported today a 59% decrease in this species so well done!!!

got one of these chaps a month or so back, i saw it from the bus window whilst stuck in a traffic jam!! suprised me a bit! :eek!:
got some funny looks from some of the other people on the bus when i dived across my seat and started staring out of the window.

A superb little ladderback ! Hate to tell this , but the most of these I have seen in one morning was 6 , one excellent late spring morning at Little Marlow Gravel Pit . Four of them ( 2 pairs ) on neighbouring trees and another pair on the other side of the pit !

Ashley

Thanks everyone for the comments.I must admit I nearly gave up because it was so cold and when I very luckily saw it I had to race back to the carpark to get the camera.It's amazing that if you don't take the camera with you you allways seem to see something great.

Mind you when you spot a bird you've been after for years the pleasure you get is amazing something non birders just cannot understand.

Max.

They're lovely birds. I was surrounded by a whole family at my local patch for about 15 minutes late last summer. I even had by camera with me but they were moving about so much that I idn't get one decent shot. Still very enjoyable though.
Graham

senatore said:
..when I saw this woody high up on a tree about 30 meters away.The pics (not too good) are attached.

Mind you when you spot a bird you've been after for years the pleasure you get is amazing something non birders just cannot understand.

Max.

Beautiful! Congratulations.

I know what you mean about the pleasures of long sought after species. It has even happened to me last year with species I HAD seen before but which I had not seen for a very long time.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back