• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Surfbirds & Black Turnstones in Los Angeles? (1 Viewer)

Tiraya

San Diego CA
United Kingdom
Anyone know any spots? I've been to Marina del Rey twice now and have yet to see the "annual" Surfbirds. I was assuming that they would be on the breakwater but even if they were you can't see the other side of it without a boat.

Wouldn't mind picking up Black Turnstone too.

Sorry man, that's the place we had them (93 if I remember correctly) before leaving for the airport. We walked out to nearly the end of the central rocky arm and scanned as we went. Re-finding the long-staying Rock Sand was nice too!! This was in '06 though.....
As for Black Turnstone we only saw them at suitable spots north of LA although they surely must be on any rocky shores?

And thats exactly where I've been looking....They just aren't there. They'd have to be a decent size smaller than a Western Sandpiper and invisible at the same time.

Well, you mentioned one location, and there are about 7 on the map--though most are in close proximity. If you did not zoom in that helps to see the multiple locations, and you can click on the balloons to see when people have been seeing them. (Orange balloon indicates within the last 30 days.) Looks like others have been seeing them recently--37 reported on the breakwater only yesterday. "Rockpipers" can be tough to see, and may be sensitive to tides. Near the low point of a receding low tide is often best. You need to look for dark blobs that often blend in very well with their background.

Jim

Last edited:
I'd say try again

Ok, you might not like this answer, but I think you should try Marina del Rey (MDR) again.

There are other places you can check. Checking eBird is a good idea for more ideas. I use an app called BirdsEye (which pulls data from eBird) and it shows recent sightings for MDR/PDR, Cabrillo Beach jetty, King Harbor, Point Vicente. In my opinion, MDR is the most reliable spot.

I lived 100 yards from there for 4 years and have birded that spot almost daily. My experience is that both species are present all day every day, but with the caveat that they can be difficult to see. Both species are roughly the same color as the rock. Sometimes they are flying all over the place, while other times you need a scope and you need to study the base of the outer breakwater for small sandpipers moving slowly among the lowest rocks. I've been there 4 times this year and have seen 25-75 of both species every time.

The best bet is to walk to the end of the middle jetty, which is accessed from Playa del Rey, and look out towards the outer breakwater. You will often hear them before you see them. Plan to spend an hour looking but hopefully you'll have them in much less than that.

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back