• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Review: Maven B2 9x45: Has the $1,000 game just changed? (2 Viewers)

SteveC,

Re your thread 88, I thought putting an O ring spacer decreased the eye relief, not increased it.

Maybe I am screwed up on this, if so I apologize for this post.

The eye relief is what it is, 0-rings can't change that. What they do is increase the extension of the eye cup. Put a 2 mm thick 0-ring under the threads and the eye cup extends upwards 2 mm further. If that didn't work for you, then you obviously need to try something to decrease the height of the eye cup. That is something I have never had occasion to try.

The 0-ring trick is not my invention, like Lee says it is a widely used bit of simple modification that is often discussed. Typically the desired effect is achieved with increasing the height, but apparently that did not work for you.

I probably could but it probably wouldn't be too meaningful because the Tract's and the Maven's are brand new binoculars. Overall, I prefer them to the Swaro's and Zeiss I have had. It is SO nice to have a smooth focuser and the optics are honestly right up there with the best. The direct to the consumer pricing eliminates a lot of markups and you are not paying for the Swarovski's family country club memberships. You should give them a try.;)

Last edited:
SteveC

"The eye relief is what it is, 0-rings can't change that. What they do is increase the extension of the eye cup. Put a 2 mm thick 0-ring under the threads and the eye cup extends upwards 2 mm further."

I have been doing this for a couple of years or more but, as a spectacle wearer with a strong prescription, I use the O rings on spectacles with overly long eye relief for me to reduce the effect of it to about 20mm (14mm effective) I think I need to avoid black outs.j

Last edited:
Could someone please measure and post the outer diameter of the eyecup on the Maven 9x45?

Thanks,
Alan of the deep set narrow IPD criminal eyes

They are pretty typical average size. Outer diameter at the top pf the eye cup is 41 mm. Diameter at the bottom of the cup is 43 mm, and the eye cup is 14 mm tall.

The IPD minimum looks like 55 mm. At the narrow setting there is 15 mm gap between the eye cups.

Last edited:
Well it took a month of hemming and hawing, but today I ordered the B2 9x45. I was primarily concerned about the weight (33 oz) and secondarily about whether to go 7x or 9x. There was also a minor issue of Tract Toric--(IPD was too wide for me and eyecups were a bit wide for my preference--so I passed on that. There was a more major issue of Zeiss 8x42 SF sales in the range of $1500-$1800 which tempted me sorely. But I can always go to a shop and try an SF. OTH, taking this plunge in the only way to see about a Maven. I'm actually quite excited about it.

I am still a bit concerned about the comfort at this weight and magnification, but I ordered it on the demo program, so if the ergonomics are not right, I can return it. I have recently switched to a RYO ultralight harness, so hopefully that will help with the weight when carrying them. This is an in between size and weight for me. My usual standard sized astronomy binoculars are heavy, 40 oz and 48 oz, but I don't wear them continuously, and mostly use them from a chair. The birding binoculars I've been using range from 18-26 oz.

I've always had a preference for 7x astronomy binoculars until the advent of IS. But I've also come to prefer nothing larger than a 5mm exit pupil for low power telescope eyepieces, and the 9x45 B2 has close to the same actual field as the 7x45. I was also pleasantly surprised to find that the 25 oz Athlon Midas 8x42 was easier to hold steady then my 18 oz Sightron 8x32. So hopefully, I will not find either weight or steadiness too much of a challenge.

I will report once I have my hands on the Mavens.

Alan

The Maven B2 9x45 arrived last night in the midst of a howling storm. Initial impressions were, it's big (actually tall or long), it's heavy, and what's with the orange trim? The fit and finish are excellent with the exception of the objective covers. No serious viewing was possible last night, but I could tell that the focus was relatively quick and very precise with no slop and no "tight spots" through the range of focus. There was a bit more resistance to the focus than I am used to, but it isn't a problem.

The ergonomics were a bit of a mixed bag for me. The eyepieces with cups are a bit large to completely fit in my eye sockets at the proper IPD, but I can get the IPD correct and the eyecups go far enough beyond the bridge of my nose that I can comfortably see the entire field of view. OTH, the balance of the binocular is excellent, and they are relatively easy to hold steady. At almost double the weight of the Sightron 8x32 I do notice that they are heavier. I wore them on a RYO ultralight harness for a couple hours just to see how they carried. Again, while I notice their weight more than the Sightron, the harness does a good job of distributing the weight and there was no discomfort. I'm not sure I would like them around my neck on a strap for several hours. I like the tactile feel of the rubber covering and the binoculars feel good in hand. It took a bit to find the hand placement that worked best for me. Initially I was gripping closer to the objective, the way I find works best for my heavy Fujinon 7x50 Marine binoculars. This is fine for an individual focus binocular. Luckily the balance point of the Maven is further back toward the hinge and I ended up with a couple fingers behind the hinge and a couple finger on the hinge. Limited viewing last night showed that the field of view of the Maven was similar to the Sightron, ~7.5 degrees. Also, the Maven showed absolutely no stray light with a street light just outside the field of view. So last night my impression was that the mechanics were superior, but did I really want to pay $1K for a higher quality binocular that might be heavier than I want to carry around?

This morning the storm had broken and it was clear but windy. The ocean was relatively wild and the tide was high so waves were regularly breaking over the barriers of the channel. I took a look through the Maven and I was quite literally stunned. The depth of texture in the surface of the ocean made it look like a raging wall of water. The spray of the waves over the rocks at the edge of the channel showed a spectrum of whites. I don't know how to dissect the view into brightness, contrast, sharpness, 3D, because it wasn't some sort of technical test, but it was a Wow! experience. I went back and forth between the Sightron and Maven, and I was seeing all the same things, but the experience was quite different. In all fairness, it was 8x32 vs 9x45 and <$200 vs. $1,000+, but the Maven transported me into the scene while the Sightron gave me a clear comfortable view. So, yes I can see the difference. I am still a bit concerned about the weight, but the 9x vs. 8x doesn't seem like enough of a difference to greatly improve imagine scale or make it much harder to hold steady. My sense is that increase in scale might help me detect a feature, but inability to hold it steady might make it difficult to see much more detail. I think that factors other than difference in magnification dominate. In fact, I think it's likely that the difference in aperture was not a critical feature either given how bright it was.

More when I get some clear skies for night viewing and some in the field birding experience.

Alan

Seems like a very good first impression. The wow you got does not go away either even when side by side to glass more expensive than the B2. Your description of transporting you to the scene instead of presenting a good magnified view is I think an apt one.

It is certainly a large binocular. Neither the size nor the weight matter much to me, but there are folks to whom that may well be a deal breaker. Certainly a to each their own preference.

I don't know about the orange trim either. However there are two stock versions without it. My preference is the gray and black.

Let us know how you get on with it.

Last edited:
It's another cold, rainy day with limited visibility, so no new reports.

Steve: I don't expect there is a precise answer to my question, but how much of the "Wow" I experience is due to the B2 design? Or to rephrase the question, can I expect the B1 or B3 experience to be similar if I decide to downsize from the B2?

Thanks,
Alan

Steve: I don't expect there is a precise answer to my question, but how much of the "Wow" I experience is due to the B2 design? Or to rephrase the question, can I expect the B1 or B3 experience to be similar if I decide to downsize from the B2?

Thanks,
Alan

Alan,

There probably is not a precise answer. If there is something subjective in the binocular arena, WOW is probably at the top of the list. Part of the wow in the B2 is the nearly 70* actual afov. I have stated before that the fov in these binoculars is understated, mostly for reasons I don't agree with, or understand the rational for. The next thing is the high transmission and very bright image of the Abbe-Koenig prism system. The lack of glare you noted is a solid fact of life with the B2.

The B1 is pretty typical of the 42 mm size class. The barrels are a little too close together for my liking. While the light transmission is technically lower, they are close enough to the B2 you really are hard pressed to tell the difference. Not quite as solid in glare control as the B2, but glare likely won't be an issue. Glare issues, in my estimation, are often exacerbated by placement issues, some combination of a poor match between eye cup design and facial features.

The wow (continuing your theme) from the B3 is from the ..."wow these are pretty bright for such a little glass!" They have a pretty high (almost too high) stated transmission value. Looking at the Allbinos review for the Swarovski CL, they measured transmission at 91-92%. If that is correct, and I suspect it is, then the Maven B3 is at least as good. They are clearly better as compared to other top mid range 30-32 mm compacts. However I long ago gave up being surprised at differing reactions from different people to the same binocular. The thing with the 30-32 mm class is that there seems to be more issue with more people about not having enough eye cup extension. People continually refer to this as lack of eye relief. ER seems set by the design. What the user is seeing is a lack of eye cup extension. But the B3 has screw off eye cup assemblies (as do all the Maven models) so it is pretty easy to extend the eye cup with an O-ring.

From the impressions I have gotten from your posts it seems like you may have some issues with eye cup, size, IPD, and placement in general.

But to sum this up, you will not see a noticeable decline in image quality with a B1 or a B3. Size will however decline, particularly with the B3

Last edited:
Today was stormy again here in Southern California, but in the afternoon we had patches of sun interspersed with high winds and scattered showers. I was observing from my balcony so I had some shelter and the ability to duck back inside to warm up and/or dry off.

I was again comparing Sightron II 8x32 and Maven B2 9x45, but today i also added Fujinon 7x50 Meibo binocular to the mix. The Fujinon has been my optical standard for many years. It is an individual focus sealed Marine binocular. It has the same prisms and coatings as the more modern FMT-SX, but older simpler eyepieces with no field flattener. It is heavy at 48 oz. I thought it would be interesting to see how the Maven compared with a well executed Porro design.

This evening I've been thinking about how the difference in magnification should influence brightness, or at least the amount of light the binocular has to work with. Under the bright conditions I expect that the entrance pupil of my eye would smaller than the exit pupil of any of these binoculars, but since the magnifications are different, the effective apertures are different. Assuming my eyes are at 2.5mm, my three binoculars effectively become 9x22.5 (Maven), 8x20 (Sightron), and 7x17.5 (Fujinon). So with equal transmission I would expect the Maven to be brightest, followed by Sightron, followed by Fujinon. My experience was that the Maven was noticeably brighter than the Sightron or Fujinon, but the Sightron was not brighter than the Fujinon. When I was observing, the influence of magnification had not yet occurred to me, so I assumed that all three binoculars were working at the same effective aperture. I rationalized that the Maven had the best coatings and perhaps the Sightron gained something from more modern coatings as well. Now I am thinking that the Fujinon out performed the Sightron in terms of transmission to make up for the aperture disadvantage.

Anyway, back to comparing the views, all three had similar field of view, the Fujinon 7x50 had the best depth of focus, the Maven 9x45 was the brightest, and the Sightron was the most comfortable in hand. It wasn't simply the fact that the Sightron is lighter, it is ergonomically superior for me. Neither the Fujinon nor the Sightron put me in the scene the way the Maven did; the Maven had the superior day time view. I had no problems with eye placement or IPD with any of the three. I am still waiting for a clear night to do some dark sky comparisons.

I remain concerned about the weight and comfort of using the Maven B2. The harness works well for carrying it around but the extra pound does make it more tiring to hold up and look through for extended periods. Also it doesn't seem to fall into my hands the way the smaller open frame Sightron does. Perhaps I just need more time with it, and I appreciate that Maven has a two week trial period. Perhaps I need to add the B3 8x30 to the mix. I really do want it work out with the B2 because the larger aperture and 5mm exit pupil appeals to me for astronomy. But that will be a later chapter once the storms are over and they clear the snow from my dark sky site.

Alan

Thanks,
Alan

Hi Alan...
I don't know about a "WOW" experience BUT....

I have both the B2 9X45 AND the B1 8X42. After pretty thorough evaluation...my opinion is that 99.9% of the good characteristics of the 9X45 are also found in the 8X42. The B1 8X42 gives one a lighter, handier, less bulky optic without much sacrifice in absolute optic ability. It all depends on what YOU want. I can't imagine someone NOT being pleased with a B1.

[QUOTE I don't expect there is a precise answer to my question, but how much of the "Wow" I experience is due to the B2 design? Or to rephrase the question, can I expect the B1 or B3 experience to be similar if I decide to downsize from the B2? QUOTE]

Steve's recommendation is the reason I purchased my B2 9 x 45 and, as I've posted in the past, this model continues to be a game changer for me. My most recent 8 x 30/32 roof prism binocular has been a Meopta B1 Meostar and while it is a remarkable instrument, I continued to struggle with blackouts. Minor ones, to be sure, and nothing like the issues I had with the Nikon SE 8 x 32s, but annoying nonetheless. To make a long story short, I sold the Meoptas and ordered a demo Maven B3 8 x 30. I have long been a fan of the 8 x 30 configuration, have owned all the Alphas over the years (although no current models), and this one blows all of them away. Bright, precise and an absolute pleasure to use. It's a different "Wow" from the 9 x 45 B2, but an unmistakable "Wow" nonetheless. I still love my Opticron 8 x 32 SR GA, especially its more pronounced 3D image and possibly brighter image, but the Opticron is not waterproof, is heavier and I suspect being a porro, more fragile. Interestingly, the demo B3 8 x 30 came with both the microfiber bag and the Maven hard case. Mine was also orange and gray - not the color combo I probably would have chosen buying the binocular new but its starting to grow on me (and my wife actually prefers it to the black and gray colors for the B2). Condition of the demo was truly as new, with no signs of use. The demo program is a great deal, and the Maven folks are really on to something.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back