• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stunningly good bargain Bins (1 Viewer)

william j clive

After changing to roof prisms in 1990, and until a couple of years ago, always an 8x30 man, I have always had a hankering for a really good 8x30/32 porro. So working on the basis that a) I am not getting any younger, and b) I cant take it with me, I have taken a leaf out of Leif's book and taken the plunge.

Bought a pristine used Nikon 8x32 SE for a quarter of the price I paid for my Swarovski 8.5x42 EL's. These are seriously good optics. Straight comparison in very dull and dreary conditions today revealed similar resolution and very little difference in brightness. They also have a similar field of view and excellent depth of field. The focussing on the Nikon is extremely fast compared to the Swaro. This is where I think the Nikon's will prove useful, when seeking small passerines in deep vegetation, the Swaro's will be good on estuaries etc. and whenever it rains!

Surprisingly, I am impressed with the handling of the Nikon. The curved prism housing allows my shovel like hands to completely enfold them and they disappear! My little finger wraps around the objective tube and they are comfortable in the hand.

For anyone who wants top of the range performance on a budget I can thoroughly recommend these bins. I had been considering part exchanging my big EL's for the 8x32 EL, now I dont need to. For a very good review of the Nikon see Leif's write up in the review section.

Clive

Last edited:
william j clive said:
After changing to roof prisms in 1990, and until a couple of years ago, always an 8x30 man, I have always had a hankering for a really good 8x30/32 porro. So working on the basis that a) I am not getting any younger, and b) I cant take it with me, I have taken a leaf out of Leif's book and taken the plunge.

Bought a pristine used Nikon 8x32 SE for a quarter of the price I paid for my Swarovski 8.5x42 EL's. These are seriously good optics. Straight comparison in very dull and dreary conditions today revealed similar resolution and very little difference in brightness. They also have a similar field of view and excellent depth of field. The focussing on the Nikon is extremely fast compared to the Swaro. This is where I think the Nikon's will prove useful, when seeking small passerines in deep vegetation, the Swaro's will be good on estuaries etc. and whenever it rains!

Surprisingly, I am impressed with the handling of the Nikon. The curved prism housing allows my shovel like hands to completely enfold them and they disappear! My little finger wraps around the objective tube and they are comfortable in the hand.

For anyone who wants top of the range performance on a budget I can thoroughly recommend these bins. I had been considering part exchanging my big EL's for the 8x32 EL, now I dont need to. For a very good review of the Nikon see Leif's write up in the review section.

Clive

Clive: Phew, I'm relieved that you didn't conclude that I was talking nonsense! Why not add your own findings to the review section? Having opinions from many users adds significant value.

BTW Where did you get your Nikons from? I paid about £50 more for mine (from a private seller)!

yes William and Leif

came very close to getting some too a while back

Nikon bins have always impressed me - they had some 8x30s way back in 90 or so that were so good I couldn't understand why more people didn't use them.

Despite using Zeiss 7x42 for 13 years I'd always hankered after Nikons as they just seem to put something on their coatings that makes them crisper to my eyes. Finally dropped my Zeiss last year (since cheaply repaired and as good as new!) and got some HGs which for me are top of the tree.

Luck you! They are for sure the bee's knees. But a bargain at £500+? Hmm - I really wish my finances would allow me to think that. One day!

scampo said:
Luck you! They are for sure the bee's knees. But a bargain at £500+? Hmm - I really wish my finances would allow me to think that. One day!

They were second hand, in as new condition. I haggled hard and paid a fraction over £200 for them in a camera shop. You are right, Scampo, lucky me. Must have been the January Sale!

Clive

Last edited:
Well - didn't you do very, very well? They are knockout quality bins that will give you a lifetime of pleasure, I'm sure. Why the Nikon name doesn't capture birder's imaginations in quite the same way as it does pro- photographers is a bit of a mystery.

Last edited:
"hankering" and "bees knees" i sure am enjoying the angolisms on this forum. never heard the latter but "hankering" is a term i've heard my parents use, but it has apparently fallen out of use in the USA.

i have a nikon 8X32 SE. bought them based on many user and expert reviews including steve ingraham's review on BVD. i was not disappointed, i enjoy using the SE very much, the ergonomics are great and for a small bin it fits nicely in my XL-sized hands better than slim bodied roofs, which i can only hold with my fingers.

before that i had a swift audubon (820) i didn't like the oversized eyecups on the new audubon, i have deep-set eyes and couldn't see the entire FOV. BUT i did like the views (sharper than my SE). i'm considering buying a Zeiss 7X42 Classic for waterproof birding. i've heard conflicting reports about its WP FP feature. i don't bird around ponds or streams so i'm not worried about submersing them, just want them to resist a shower or very humid conditions. can anyone comment on the waterproof ability of the Zeiss? thanks.

brock

Last edited:
I will add my applause for the Nikons. I have three pairs - the 8x32 SEs, the 10x42 SEs and the 10x32 HGs. I did have the 8x42 HGs but found them too heavy. The last ones I bought were the 10x42 SEs and they are my favorite. I do like 10 power, and they are light and bright. Compare them if you get a chance.

I have to say that I'm a Nikon convert (binoculars, that is) having just upgraded my not-so-old Opticrons for the Nikon 8x32 HG.

Comparing them side-by-side with my Opticrons, the field of view was very sharp and clear right up to the edges and there was no colour fringing evident around a swan that I was using as a test subject. I also found that there was no visible difference, to me anyway, between the Nikons and the Swarovskis that I also tested, so I couldn't see why I would need to pay almost double the amount.

brocknroller said:
"hankering" and "bees knees" i sure am enjoying the angolisms on this forum. never heard the latter but "hankering" is a term i've heard my parents use, but it has apparently fallen out of use in the USA.

brock

I think "bees knees" is pretty old hat here - I very much doubt if my sons (38 and 40) would use it, though I would guess they would understand.

PS - do you use old hat in your part of the world?

brocknroller said:

By Jingo! I will have to stop using these angloisms. I am, after all, a Welshman! o:)

Clive

Elizabeth Bigg said:
I think "bees knees" is pretty old hat here - I very much doubt if my sons (38 and 40) would use it, though I would guess they would understand.

PS - do you use old hat in your part of the world?
Just a guess Elizabeth, but I would say your sons probably use a different part of a different animal to convey the same sentiment ;)

BTW, on the subject of Nikons, some of you may know that I've recently purchased a pair of Sporter I 8x36. Though not in the same league as the bins mentioned previously in this thread, they are a huge leap forward for me, & at £99 a definate bargain !!

Last edited:
Clive,
I am a Nikon fan too, having the 10x42 HG's for serious birding and then I bought a pair of the compacts - 8x20 HG's for walking. These two really suit my eyes and I am very pleased with them. Although I have a Kowa 824 scope I have tried out the new 82mm scope and thought that it was fantastic as well. The only problem with it was that I couldn't afford it. In keeping with the expressions on this thread, my finances are a "dogs breakfast"!!

What a busy little thread this is.

"Bee's knees"? - idioms don't travel very well sometimes. Maybe in the US you would say "really cool"? I've got to say that "Bee's knees" has a bit more about it!

Well, as much as I hate to admit it (shows my age), if you were to say "Bee's Knees" to me, I would know exactly what you are talking about.

Ah - you don't disclose your birthday I see. Well - I can't say I'm thrilled to be the big 5-0 but there it is - Time's winged chariot hurrying near as Marvell once wrote! The "Bees knees" is still in general usage over here and my friend in Oklahoma knew it well, too - so you're not alone!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back