• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern England and Wales June-July (1 Viewer)

Tiraya

San Diego CA
United Kingdom
So this year I will be on a 6 week trip to the UK, and simply put I have a lot of things I've missed out on during the 10+ years I lived there.

From the 21st-24th June I will be staying in Snowdonia at http://www.bryneglwyshotel.co.uk/. From then on I will be at a place down in Pembrokeshire near Skomer for about a week. I thought I would have to go to Scotland for Red Grouse, Dipper and Ring Ouzel, but is there a chance that the mountains here would house these birds?

At all other times I will be situated at Hythe, just at the edge of the New Forest which I'll have plenty of time to explore (I have heard rumours of birds like Whinchat, Wood-warbler, Hawfinch, Honey Buzzard and Firecrest in this area during the summer). If anyone can give me guidance to specific sites for the following birds it would be greatly appreciated!

The list is as follows:
Dotterel
Garganey
Pintail
Teal
Avocet
Honey Buzzard
Stone-curlew
Kingfisher
Nightingale
Lesser Spotted Woodpecker
Firecrest, Wood-warbler and Hawfinch
Whinchat and Wheatear
Cirl and Corn Bunting
Black Redstart
Yellow Wagtail
Tree Sparrow (I swear they don't exist!)

And additionally, just in case its an option (though I doubt it considering I'm there in June) I am missing these winter birds: Redwing, Fieldfare, Twite, Water Pipit and Brambling.

I hear that some birds are protected, so if something is too confidential to post in a forum then feel free to PM (or say nothing!).

Last edited:
Teal, Kingfisher, Wood Warbler, Whinchat, Wheatear, Red Grouse, Dipper & Ring Ouzel at least should be doable in a day in Snowdonia. I'll figure out some sort of itinerary and let you know. I may even be able to join you on the Friday if you like, I'll know closer the time.

James

Teal, Kingfisher, Wood Warbler, Whinchat, Wheatear, Red Grouse, Dipper & Ring Ouzel at least should be doable in a day in Snowdonia. I'll figure out some sort of itinerary and let you know. I may even be able to join you on the Friday if you like, I'll know closer the time.

James

I'll pass that forward to my grandparents (who are kindly sorting things out) and see what they say.

Any other comments? There must be some New Forest fanatics here.

Hi, from new forest.

Tree sparrow does indeed existhttp://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/t/treesparrow/index.aspx

Doubt whether anyone will divulge info re honey buzzard due to egg collectors

You might find some info athttp://www.goingbirding.co.uk/hants/birdnews.asp nearer the time

One of my favourite spots is Keyhaven marshes Didn't see the kingfisher last year, but told where it had gone to

Unsure about avocet, while RSPB page does say "south coast", I've never heard or seen one, distribution seems to be the east coast or south west

Yeah, I did get a general location(s) of Honey Buzzard last time I went, but it was quite a large area and I didn't see one (though plenty of Buzzards).

Last time I was in contact with one of the organizers of the RSPB and he knew where everything was. Hopefully he's still around.

Last edited:
For Kingfisher the river through Blandford Forum seems to be unmatchable, I've never seen such a concentration!

There are two classic, non-secret places to look for Honey Buzzard in the New Forest but to preserve sensibilities PM me and I'll give you directions.

John

For Kingfisher the river through Blandford Forum seems to be unmatchable, I've never seen such a concentration!

There are two classic, non-secret places to look for Honey Buzzard in the New Forest but to preserve sensibilities PM me and I'll give you directions.

John

Is one of those A***s **w*? That was one of the places I checked last year.

Yeah that's the place ;) Although I've heard that increasing Gos numbers in the Forest have had a detrimental effect on HBs.....anyone know for sure?

Red Grouse, Dipper, Kingfisher, Ring Ouzel, Whinchat, Wood Warbler, (Hawfinch, Honey Buzzard), (Firecrest, Black Redstart,) Wheatear, (Lesser spotted Woodpecker), (Yellow Wagtail and Teal) are all possible in Wales, probably not too far from a route between your Pembs. base and an exit via the Forest of Dean (bracketed species dependent on several things, many requiring details via PM closer to the start of your trip and/or a lot of luck). I'm not sure anyone would bag them all in one day though - that would be a very tall ask, even with a lot of local guides!

Just outside of the FoD, you may luck on Corn Bunting, Nightingale is a probable at Highnam Woods.

@bbb; I'm not sure anyone would come to that conclusion with the data that's available. The HB population seems to have been fairly static, possibly even increasing in that region, during the period since Gos re-establishment.

@bbb; I'm not sure anyone would come to that conclusion with the data that's available. The HB population seems to have been fairly static, possibly even increasing in that region, during the period since Gos re-establishment.

Cheers Andy, was just something I'd been mulling over after ear-wigging on a conversation at said site several years ago. I know from my own experiences there in recent years, they're not as 'easy' as before.

Boldrewood carpark area in New Forest is good for Firecrest

I can't recall how many times I've heard this! I did ask a Park Ranger that happened to be in the carpark but he hadn't even heard of a Firecrest (though did know what a Goldcrest was).

But just the carpark area? I tried some of the trails and found Crossbills and Siskins but nothing more. Would you recommend just hanging around here?

Firecrest numbers and density mostly depend on the severity of the previous Winter(s).

Don't suppose you know how it was last winter...?

And also, what can be found at Skomer Island? I was really hoping for a Manx Shearwater or something along those lines (though a Puffin, Kittiwake or Guillemot would make my day too; apparently they are regular).

Skoma - was there in June couple of years ago. Awash with Puffins. Also saw good range of seabirds. Birds of the day (by a whisker) were close views of Short Eared Owls in late afternoon, seen in the middle of the island. We stayed in Broadhaven, and the cliff top walks are excellent.

Have also heard that Bosherston Lily Ponds to the south of Pembroke are worth a visit. Sadly didn't have time that holiday.

If you are travelling from Pembroke to the New Forest via Bristol, consider visiting Chew Valley Lake. On the plus side it has excellent range of birds in all seasons. Drawbacks might be its size, the spread of the hides, and it might be too much of a detour for you. Link to local groups web site here. There are a couple of good public vantage points adjacent the minor roads that skirt the lake, and I've seldom been past and not seen a few birders there, but to visit the hides you need to purchase a permit from the Lodge.

Try searching "Skomer" SW. There's some excellent advice. Little Owls as well as Short Eared Owls are present. I believe Shearwaters will require an overnight stay.

Rich

Don't suppose you know how it was last winter...?
The last 3 Winters have not been mild, I'd expect Firecrest numbers to be low to moderate.

The only Manxies you'd see on Skomer during daytime would be dead ones, most of the seabirds in that region should be seen from a stint seawatching from somewhere like Strumble Head, if conditions are favourable. Of course, you'd miss the SEO.

A couple of good sites close to the M4 on the direct exit through South Wales would be Kenfig Pool (NNR, SAC, SSSI) and Newport Wetlands (SPA, RAMSAR, NNR, SAC and 3 SSSIs).

Ah, well that will teach me to get my hopes up ^^. Will probably be chasing vagrants anyway.

But I was told that Manx Shears were frequently seen on the boat trip to the island? I might check if the UK has any form of pelagic trips. I certainly didn't hear about this "pelagic birdwatching" until I moved to Australia.

If you stay on the coast opposite Skomer (ie in Marloes) before your day trip there, then an early evening visit to Martin Head (above where the boat leaves from) then Manxies will be streaming past in their thousands. Also good for Chough here and all the auks will be seen here too

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back