• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (31 Viewers)

Spent the day doing laps of the Triangle at Kilnsea today. Due to the westerly winds I wasn't expecting miracles, and we had a fairly uneventful morning, although we did have a brief view of a barred warbler in flight by the Canal. Plenty of whinchats, yellow wags and wheatears around, and one of my companions got a female redstart, but the reported firecrest was nowehere to be seen, as expected it wasn't the rarity frenzy we were originally hoping for!

However our luck changed considerably at lunchtime... we sat on the edge of the path by the stretch of beach by the Blue Bell cafe car park, looking out to sea while we ate our sarnis, my scope half-arsedly set up by my side. While we were munching away we saw a long-winged wader, without obvious wing markings, fly down the sea from the N, veering inland landing on the large flat piece of sea defence opposite.

We quickly scoped it, realising it was something out of the ordinary, and we saw a small, but tall-looking, bird with a distinct beige-coloured supercilium, yellowish legs, a straight bill with a slight curve at the end, a long-necked, alert posture (recalling a cross between redshank and ruff), and (most tellingly) a chest pattern of vertical streaks with a distinct cut-off, tapering into a central point, contrasting with a plain, pale belly and flanks.

I recognised it as a pectoral sandpiper, a species I'd watched at Wombwell Ings last autumn, but we carefully ruled out all confusion species first (including sharp-tailed ;) ), before being 100% sure we actually had a pec. We scribbled down the notes above quickly, as there were some children playing very close to it ready to flush it any moment, but it gave us a good two minutes to scruitinise it beforeit buggered off down the coast towards The Point.

Looking on Birdguides there was a pec sandpiper in Northumberland over the last week or so, that hasn't been seen since Thursday, which may be our bird here moving down the coast (we didn't know this when we saw it).

Sorry for the long post - as no-one else seems to have seen this bird I thought some people may appreciate the full account! I'll be sending a full report in to the relevant people over the next few days.

Last edited:
Had another go at Timble last night. No owls for us (again!! |:$|) but we did have 3 different types of gamebird - Pheasant, Red Grouse & Woodcock, the latter being another tick on my feeble attempt of a lifelist.

Richard

Took the kids (and new family puppy!!) along to the Strid today & had a cracking walk. Loads of Dippers on the river along with Grey Wagtails, Goosanders, Mandarin & three Kingfishers (my son spotted the first one, then we had a pair fly up the river later on).

By the time we returned to the car, though, the riverside carpark was rammed so we beat a hasty retreat home.

Richard

A tad disappointed not to hear anything re: collared fly at Spurn today, must have been like wacky races as Yorks highlisters tried to stop each other from seeing the bird.

Saw 6 twite today.

A tad disappointed not to hear anything re: collared fly at Spurn today, must have been like wacky races as Yorks highlisters tried to stop each other from seeing the bird.

Saw 6 twite today.

I can assure you that was not the case from me, i even went to pick folk up whilst they where showing it to the assembling group. An put the news on the pager when more info on its id was available.

I can assure you that was not the case from me, i even went to pick folk up whilst they where showing it to the assembling group. An put the news on the pager when more info on its id was available.

Andrew, what's the latest? Was it suspected of being one, and then trapped or was it trapped as Pied and then the in-hand views suggested otherwise?

Any thoughts on which way this may go?

I may blast over after work if it sticks.

Thanks.

Potteric Carr 30/8/10 pm

Dear All,

Nothing much out of the ordinary that we saw down at Potteric Carr today, though another chap had seen green and wood sandpiper, spotted redshank and a black necked grebe (as usual they hide when they know I am coming...)
I may have seen the grebe but too far away for a positive id.
Quite a few gadwall around, a couple of little grebe, a shedload of lapwings (now theyare following me around...), couple of greenshank, a large flock of long tailed tits near the railway lines. The kids liked the moorhen chicks viewed from the hide next to the cafe in the middle of the reserve, seems quite late for breeding really.

Michael

Attachments

• Copy of IMGA0952.JPG
    Copy of IMGA0952.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 53
Andrew, what's the latest? Was it suspected of being one, and then trapped or was it trapped as Pied and then the in-hand views suggested otherwise?

Any thoughts on which way this may go?

I may blast over after work if it sticks.

Thanks.

Check out Martin Garners blog Steve http://birdingfrontiers.com/2010/08/30/collared-flycatcher/ from what I gathered when I was there it was the wing length that set alarm bells ringing

Collared Flycatcher

The traffic to Spurn at 5o'clock was a tad heavier than usual as I was going home yesterday.;)
Managed a record shot of the Collared as it was at the end furthest away from The Warren.
The Wryneck at Sammys Point was another very nice lifer too, sadly no pics as it was very elusive.

Attachments

• Collared Flycatcher.jpg
    Collared Flycatcher.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 152
Unexpected result when I finally made it to infocus. Couldn't really see any difference with bins at the £300 end of my budget. Maybe that was because the light was excellent. In the end I plumped for the relatively cheap Opticron 8x42 Discovery which left nearly enough to enable the purchase of a Delta 70 scope with 20-45 zoom lens.

Good result as far as I'm concerned. Now I can put my Hertel&Reuss televari (vintage 1980) out to pasture :t:

Last edited:
Made the trip for the mystery flycatcher today. After about 10 minutes it showed nicely to the crowd (only around 15) in the bushes and on a fencepost near the information centre. To my untrained eye it would have been dismissed as a pied fly without any hesitation. Also managed to pick up 1 of the barred warblers so I have at least one lifer for today's efforts.

After that, Kew produced a chiffchaff and a garden warbler and whilst trying in vain to see yesterday's wryneck at sammy's, I managed a 2 wheatear, 2 willow warbler and loads of yellow wags.

Few of pics of the Spurn flycatcher from this evening,
Flycatcher001.jpg

Flycatcher004.jpg

Flycatcher003.jpg

Last edited:
Made the trip for the mystery flycatcher today. After about 10 minutes it showed nicely to the crowd (only around 15) in the bushes and on a fencepost near the information centre. To my untrained eye it would have been dismissed as a pied fly without any hesitation. Also managed to pick up 1 of the barred warblers so I have at least one lifer for today's efforts.

After that, Kew produced a chiffchaff and a garden warbler and whilst trying in vain to see yesterday's wryneck at sammy's, I managed a 2 wheatear, 2 willow warbler and loads of yellow wags.

How did you know it was the bird if it can't be identified in the hand? I suspect they ringed several Pied yesterday as well.;)

Just had a quick look on Birdguides and wish I hadn't! Happy hunting on the east coast while I'm stuck here in the office! Damn you all!

At least a Pec Sand's turned up in North Lincs, adding slight weight to my bird at Kilnsea on Saturday...

Just had a quick look on Birdguides and wish I hadn't! Happy hunting on the east coast while I'm stuck here in the office! Damn you all!

At least a Pec Sand's turned up in North Lincs, adding slight weight to my bird at Kilnsea on Saturday...

Know how you feel. At least you get bird news! All I have missed up here is a Sooty Shearwater :t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back