• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Winter Visitor (1 Viewer)

austexican

Yesterday I finally caught this little guy (or gal). I had been staking out the hummingbird feeder off and on most of the day and unsuccessfully for the last week or so. This pic was shot handheld at 1/1000 sec.

This is a most unusual flight attitude for the hummer. Speaking as a former member of the University of Texas varsity springboard diving team, it looks like the bird is initiating a reverse 2 1/2 somersault! I could execute the maneuver but never with such precision! :clap:

Attachments

• 1-IMG_1262.JPG
    1-IMG_1262.JPG
    218.5 KB · Views: 75
They are hard little devils to catch on camera. Looks like this might be a Rufous?

Could be rufous. They wander about erratically. Some years back when I was living in the Washington, DC area I remember that the biologists and ornithologists at the Smithsonian were terribly excited that a rufous had taken up residence near the mall. It made the front page of the Washington Post! Here is another shot of the same bird.

Attachments

• 1-IMG_1260-001.JPG
    1-IMG_1260-001.JPG
    204.8 KB · Views: 52
We had a touch of frost last night and the high today is expected to be no more than 49 degrees. That hummer is still hanging around my feeder. Maybe I should request his immigration status?

Attachments

• 1-IMG_1301-001.JPG
    1-IMG_1301-001.JPG
    477.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 1-DSC03103.JPG
    1-DSC03103.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
We've had frost a few times and one pretty hard freeze (28 degrees F) so far this winter. I have about a dozen that stay all year round -- at least for the last 15 years. I make the nectar stronger (so it doesn't freeze) when I know the temps will get down to 28 or so. Any colder and I bring the feeders in after dark and take them back out before dawn -- they are always waiting at dawn, even after the coldest nights.

We get temps down around 20 degrees F at least once each year (usually about now) and sometimes the temps go down to the upper teens. Even on the coldest nights, the hummers are there drinking until it is dark and they are there right when it gets light.

If you have any hanging around in the winter the the rule is: if you are going to miss feeding them, do it in the summer -- not the winter. They need that nectar on real cold mornings.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back