• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski 8x25 CL-P best compact binocular? (2 Viewers)

[email protected]

Supporter
The new Swarovski 8x25 CL-P is the best compact binocular I have ever used and the only one I could ever seriously use for birding. Has anybody ever found a better compact? The really exceptional thing about them is their excellent contrast, Swarovisiion like sharp edges, excellent glare control, bigger more comfortable eyecups and 17mm eye relief. Here is a good review on them.

http://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/Swarovski-CL-Pocket-8x25-126.htm

Last edited:
The new Swarovski 8x25 CL-P is the best compact binocular I have ever used and the only one I could ever seriously use for birding. Has anybody ever found a better compact? The really exceptional thing about them is their excellent contrast, Swarovisiion like sharp edges, excellent glare control, bigger more comfortable eyecups and 17mm eye relief. Here is a good review on them.

http://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/Swarovski-CL-Pocket-8x25-126.htm

Thanks for asking, for indeed I have. For folks who buy a small bin (pocket bin) to be small and light, the Leica 8x20 Ultravid is a better choice as is the Zeiss 8x20 Victory because both are much smaller than the Swarovski 8x25. The Ultravid has a superb focus knob which allows holding and operating them much like a full-sized bin. Both have superb contrast and glare control. I've found few situations of walk-around type birding (as opposed to hawk flight, sea watching, or other long distance viewing) where they don't do the job. I wear glasses and find both very comfortable with respect to eye relief, and because I wear glasses the eye cup diameter is of no importance. If I'm willing to carry/pack something bigger, I'd choose something with better handling characteristics than the Swarovski 8x25, such as one of the compact 8x32 models (e.g. Leica Ultravid, Zeiss FL, i.e. not a bulky model like the Swarovski EL). For folks who own full-sized bins and don't already own a compact 8x32, the 8x25 might be an attractive alternative to acquiring both or either 8x20 and 8x32 bins to meet a desire to have a compact/lightweight bin. If that were me, I'd still be disappointed with its ergonomics compared to, say, the Swarovski 8x30 CL.

--AP

Last edited:
Oh fudge Alexis. Now you went and did it. You bit on the bait. I had thought everyone chose not to respond to "his" thread because you know what they turn into....especially when they are titled with something like "Binocular X is the best binocular?"

I know I bit now too but this is my only post on this thread. ;)

I had the same plan of action as Frank, and will proceed just like Frank also, so this is to be my only post here.

I'm with Alexis here. I was very interested in 8x25 Swaro when I read about them, but as soon as I saw them and handled them, it was obvious that they were too large and heavy to be my miniature binoculars and simply not up to being anything else either. For a compact, I need the binocular to be about the size of the Ultravid 8x20, since it needs to be small and light enough for carrying in my hand while I run or for being totally inconspicuous while at a concert or theatre. The Hawke 8x25, which was almost a direct physical copy of Swarovski's 8x20 and almost as tiny, would have fit the bill except for the optical quality which in the samples I tried was not good.

The Ultravid 8x20 I have is small enough, beautifully designed, and optically about as good as a binocular this small can be. The 8x25 CL-P is not a true compact binocular, and falls into a category I see little use for.

Kimmo

I've discovered I cannot tolerate a small exit pupil (with eyeglasses), so I've ditched the idea
of having a true compact sized binocular. I found the Katmai 6x32 which is one of the
smallest mid-sized you can get. It's not a compact, but it's my 'little' binocular.
I take it to work and use on my lunch break or even before work. I imagine that the Swaro
compact has great optics though.

Last edited:
I've discovered I cannot tolerate a small exit pupil (with eyeglasses), so I've ditched the idea of having a true compact sized binocular...

Of course I don't know what the issue is for you, but for what it's worth I'll share that for me, wearing a wide-brimmed hat to block lateral light is essential for using small exit pupils while wearing glasses. Actually, I find wearing a hat is important even with full-sized bins. I like hats with a flexible (but not floppy) brim so that during extended viewing or low sun angles I can get even more benefit by pulling the brim down as a blind on one side or by clamping it between my fingers and the bin.

--AP

Of course I don't know what the issue is for you, but for what it's worth I'll share that for me, wearing a wide-brimmed hat to block lateral light is essential for using small exit pupils while wearing glasses. Actually, I find wearing a hat is important even with full-sized bins. I like hats with a flexible (but not floppy) brim so that during extended viewing or low sun angles I can get even more benefit by pulling the brim down as a blind on one side or by clamping it between my fingers and the bin.

--AP

oh yes...I do the same thing. I have a light weight wid-brimmed hat
with a draw string so that it doesn't blow off.

The small exit pupil is just too tedious lining up to my eyes with the eyeglasses on.
I know that I can practice and get adjusted to it over time, but
I just don't have the patience. Without glasses it's not a big deal,
but with glasses I prefer a large exit pupil. It just makes it so
much easier. The 8x42 and 6x32 solve that problem. It's just a nice no-fuss
view.

I like the Swarovski 8x25CL-P precisely because of it's big eye cups and long eye relief and wide field. It doesn't get lost in my big hands. It's the only compact binocular outside of the Pentax 9x28 that I can brace up under my eyebrows and use without any trouble and the Pentax has a narrow FOV and astigmatism at the edges which the CLP most certainly does not!

I will live with it's extra size. It easily fits in my Jacket pocket and into the pockets of my Filson and Cabela shirts. For that matter it isn't any larger than my Nikon 10x25LXL or any other 10x25 I would bet. As far as going to concerts and operas and ball games I have a Leica 8x20 Trinovid which works perfectly on those occasions.

I'm hardly ever without the CL-P, especially in this winter weather.

Bob

Last edited:

--AP

I agree 100% with you about wearing a hat.:t:

I've discovered I cannot tolerate a small exit pupil (with eyeglasses), so I've ditched the idea
of having a true compact sized binocular. .

Me too. I find my Zeiss 8 x 20 almost impossibly fiddly--with or without glasses--and never take it out with me except for casual use in town--reading street signs and the like. I've been thinking for some time of getting an 8 x 32 to complement my full-sized ELs but now maybe I'll also have a look at the 8 x25s. . ..

Me too. I find my Zeiss 8 x 20 almost impossibly fiddly--with or without glasses--and never take it out with me except for casual use in town--reading street signs and the like. I've been thinking for some time of getting an 8 x 32 to complement my full-sized ELs but now maybe I'll also have a look at the 8 x25s. . ..

I have a full size and a (uniquely small) mid-sized. There's no fiddling
at all with the 6x32. I hope you find something nice with an easy view.
I tried an 8x25 compact with good eye relief and I still found it annoying,
but you may have better luck (or more patience) with this configuration.

Last edited:
As a minority of one I like my Zeiss 10x25 Victory Compacts a lot...they just take some getting used to, to be able to steady them as well as a mid- or full-sized binocular. Fit and finish and overall design is top-notch as are the optics (and unfortunately the price is up there too)...

Thanks for asking, for indeed I have. For folks who buy a small bin (pocket bin) to be small and light, the Leica 8x20 Ultravid is a better choice as is the Zeiss 8x20 Victory because both are much smaller than the Swarovski 8x25. The Ultravid has a superb focus knob which allows holding and operating them much like a full-sized bin. Both have superb contrast and glare control. I've found few situations of walk-around type birding (as opposed to hawk flight, sea watching, or other long distance viewing) where they don't do the job. I wear glasses and find both very comfortable with respect to eye relief, and because I wear glasses the eye cup diameter is of no importance. If I'm willing to carry/pack something bigger, I'd choose something with better handling characteristics than the Swarovski 8x25, such as one of the compact 8x32 models (e.g. Leica Ultravid, Zeiss FL, i.e. not a bulky model like the Swarovski EL). For folks who own full-sized bins and don't already own a compact 8x32, the 8x25 might be an attractive alternative to acquiring both or either 8x20 and 8x32 bins to meet a desire to have a compact/lightweight bin. If that were me, I'd still be disappointed with its ergonomics compared to, say, the Swarovski 8x30 CL.

--AP
Yes, I have had both the Zeiss and the Ultravid 8x20's and although they are both excellent optically I found them quite fiddly especially the Ultravid due to their 2.5mm exit aperture and less eye relief. The Swarovski CL-P will still fit in your pocket and the size gives you a little more to grab onto and the 3.1mm exit aperture makes them quite a bit less fiddly for eye placement and they are more usable and considerably brighter when the sun starts to go down with the bigger aperture. The sharp edges on the CL-P are what surprised me. I didn't think they would be as sharp to the edge as the Swarovision but they are. It's kind of like Swarovski threw all these numbers in a big super computer and said build me the best pocketable binocular possible and we will put our best coatings on it and use our best glass and see what we come up with. They came up with a pretty good pair of compacts.

Oh fudge Alexis. Now you went and did it. You bit on the bait. I had thought everyone chose not to respond to "his" thread because you know what they turn into....especially when they are titled with something like "Binocular X is the best binocular?"

I know I bit now too but this is my only post on this thread. ;)
I am not saying the CL-P is the best. I am just saying it is the best compact I have used. Everything about them from the design, the engineering, the optics, the position of the diopter, the precision of the eye cups, the smoothness of the focuser and the overall quality is pretty remarkable to me.

I had the same plan of action as Frank, and will proceed just like Frank also, so this is to be my only post here.

I'm with Alexis here. I was very interested in 8x25 Swaro when I read about them, but as soon as I saw them and handled them, it was obvious that they were too large and heavy to be my miniature binoculars and simply not up to being anything else either. For a compact, I need the binocular to be about the size of the Ultravid 8x20, since it needs to be small and light enough for carrying in my hand while I run or for being totally inconspicuous while at a concert or theatre. The Hawke 8x25, which was almost a direct physical copy of Swarovski's 8x20 and almost as tiny, would have fit the bill except for the optical quality which in the samples I tried was not good.

The Ultravid 8x20 I have is small enough, beautifully designed, and optically about as good as a binocular this small can be. The 8x25 CL-P is not a true compact binocular, and falls into a category I see little use for.

Kimmo
I think Swarovski's goal was to product the highest performing binocular that could be built and still fit in your front pocket. In that they have achieved their goal. The CL-P's are pretty inconspicuous but I don't see why they have to be totally inconspicuous at a concert or theater. They are plenty of people using larger opera type glasses at these events . I don't think too many people run with their compact binoculars in one hand either but if that is the way you use them then you are better off with the smaller Ultravids. I don't think Swarovski was thinking of people running with them in one hand when they designed them either.

Last edited:
of having a true compact sized binocular. I found the Katmai 6x32 which is one of the
smallest mid-sized you can get. It's not a compact, but it's my 'little' binocular.
I take it to work and use on my lunch break or even before work. I imagine that the Swaro
compact has great optics though.
I can understand that. The Katmai 6x32 is a nice little binocular. It won't quite fit in your pocket but it certainly is compact. Try the Swarovski 8x25 CL-P sometime if you get a chance though it works better than a lot of compacts.

--AP
I have never thought about it but you right. A hat would definitely help.

I like the Swarovski 8x25CL-P precisely because of it's big eye cups and long eye relief and wide field. It doesn't get lost in my big hands. It's the only compact binocular outside of the Pentax 9x28 that I can brace up under my eyebrows and use without any trouble and the Pentax has a narrow FOV and astigmatism at the edges which the CLP most certainly does not!

I will live with it's extra size. It easily fits in my Jacket pocket and into the pockets of my Filson and Cabela shirts. For that matter it isn't any larger than my Nikon 10x25LXL or any other 10x25 I would bet. As far as going to concerts and operas and ball games I have a Leica 8x20 Trinovid which works perfectly on those occasions.

I'm hardly ever without the CL-P, especially in this winter weather.

Bob
Yes. I really use the CL-P a lot. It is so convenient to hook it on your belt and you don't even feel the weight like you do with an 8x32. I used mine at the Zoo the other day and really enjoyed it.

Try the Swaro 8x25 CL-P. I will warn you it is not as easy to use as an 8x32 but it is way easier than the little 8x20's. It strikes a nice balance. You can actually use it for birding.

I recently had the chance to look at these binoculars at a local Cabelas, and these are the impressions I had:

1) The optics are very good. They perform just as you would expect a premium binocular to perform that fits between the mini and mid sized category.

2) The focus knob, though not as user friendly as those on my mini Ultravids, is still much better than the tiny knob on my old Trinovid minis, and the indentation in the binocular body makes access to the focus knob much easier. Why didn't anybody else think of that?

3) If I only had a full sized binocular these would be my only second pair. I would not buy either a mini or mid sized binocular, because the Swarovskis perform both functions well enough for me.

4) The 10x25 CL is not as good as my 10x25 Ultravid, mainly because of Leicas better focus knob.

5) The 8x25 CL is more useful than my 8x20 Ultravid. If I were going on a long hike in the woods, I would much rather have the Swarovskis. They weigh significantly less than my 10x32 Ultravids, but their larger exit pupil and less fidgety eye placement issues would make them much more useful for finding fast moving birds in the shadows. 8x20 and 10x25 binoculars just don't cut it in these situations.

6) The price is right. If I had to spend under a thousand dollars to own only one pair of premium binoculars, I would buy an 8x25 Cl.

That said, I would not jump into any purchasing decision. If Leica were to come out with an 8x25 Ultravid I would probably rather have that, because it would probably have the Ultravid focus knob I prefer. Even Nikon has come out with an 8x24 ultralight mini (7 ounces) in the $200 price range (the Aculon t51's) that may perform well enough to give the Swarovskis some competition, although the reviews aren't in yet.

I'm glad they are finally making binoculars in this size range in lower powers. 8x20 and 10x25 binoculars have been the only mini options for way too long. For me, a 7x25 would be even better. Maybe someday.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back