• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski 8x25 CL-P best compact binocular? (1 Viewer)

Check eBay instead. I got my 8x20 and 8x42 Ultravid Silverlines on eBay for the price of the black rubber models. They are factory refurbished (does anyone know what that involves?), but they look and feel like new. The 8x20came with a very fine hard leather case that is actually too nice for me to use in the field. The 8x42's came with a cordura case. I wanted leather lined binoculars because there are certain tactile issues with rubber armored binoculars I don't like (I think I give Swarovski the edge when it comes to the feel of their rubber armor). At first I resisted buying the Silverlines because I didn't want other birders thinking I was trying to make a fashion statement, but then I realized that was a pretty stupid reason not to buy a pair of binoculars. And they do attract stares, there's no denying that. But the prices on the Silverlines were just too good to pass up, and I'm glad I got them now. Maybe the glint of the sun on the silver might scare a bird or two, but frankly, the Silverlines are prettier than a lot of birds anyway.
I wonder if the Swaro 8x20's are being discontiniued now. I had one for awhile when I had my 8x20 Uvid and they are actually lighter and almost as small and optically they smoke the Uvid. They are much brighter and have a much bigger sweetspot with better edges. They are about the same price. The Swaro 8x20's have the best optics of any of the tiny 20mm binoculars.

Last edited:
I wonder if the Swaro 8x20's are being discontiniued now. I had one for awhile when I had my 8x20 Uvid and they are actually lighter and almost as small and optically they smoke the Uvid. They are much brighter and have a much bigger sweetspot with better edges. They are about the same price. The Swaro 8x20's have the best optics of any of the tiny 20mm binoculars.

"optically they smoke the Uvid"
"They are much brighter"
"much bigger sweetspot"

I seriously doubt this. Even IF they exceed the Leicas, which I don't believe, they certainly don't "smoke" them, aren't MUCH brighter, and the sweetspot is unlikly to be "much bigger". It defies all common sense, and is contrary to my experience.

Frankly Dennis, you wear me out. I'm surprised that some still want to follow you around and pat out the fires, if they do.

Last edited:
"They are much brighter"
"much bigger sweetspot"

I seriously doubt this. Even IF they exceed the Leicas, which I don't believe, they certainly don't "smoke" them, aren't MUCH brighter, and the sweetspot is unlikly to be "much bigger". It defies all common sense, and is contrary to my experience.

Frankly Dennis, you wear me out. I'm surprised that some still want to follow you around and pat out the fires, if they do.
Have you compared them like I have? I seriously doubt it. The 8x20 Swaro is the brightest compact I have ever used.

I wonder if the Swaro 8x20's are being discontiniued now. I had one for awhile when I had my 8x20 Uvid and... optically they smoke the Uvid. They are much brighter and have a much bigger sweetspot with better edges. ...The Swaro 8x20's have the best optics of any of the tiny 20mm binoculars.

Wow, I've tried them side-by-side several times and none of this matches my experience. With respect to optics (especially brightness) I put the Swarovski 8x20 behind both the Leica Ultravid and the Zeiss Victory. Let's start a rumor. Maybe Swarovski updated the coatings after I last tried them such that the very latest generation was much improved over somewhat older units (It is true that the Swarovski compact was updated several times over its long production history). Let's start another rumor. Maybe the Swarovski 8x20 was retired because it wasn't selling well because Swarovski didn't do a good job communicating the fact that the latest incarnation was competitive with the Ultravid, which captured most of the high end market. So perhaps after some re-engineering, including improving the close focus and moving the focus knob from the little finger to the index finger, it will be reborn in a year or two.

--AP

If I recall correctly, Elk Cub had many good things to say about his 10 x 25 Swarovski which he used for 10 years or so.

Bob

"They are much brighter"
"much bigger sweetspot"

Kevin,

If you are talking about me, I posted my thoughts here to give an independent opinion that the new Swarovski 8x25 CL P is a superb compact binocular which fits into the shirt pockets of my Filson and Cabelas shirts and which has long, easy to use ER, large comfortable eye cups and a very wide FOV that is sharp almost to it's very edge!

I don't care if Dennis agrees with that.

To paraphrase Orwell who paraphrased Russell "sometimes one has a duty to restate the obvious."

Bob

Last edited:
Bob,

:h?: I'm afraid I don't even know what you're talking about.

You'll have to read posts 41 and 42. Or if you did, read them again.

Nuance, subtlety, suggestion are often lost around here I've noticed. So, I'll spell it out in plain English.

I have nothing against Swarovski optics. They may very well be the best money can buy, I don't really know, and more importantly, I really don't care.

I take yours and others word that the little CLs are outstanding.

I understand that the CLs conform to yours and (probably) the vast majority of people's idea of a pocket binocular and have already explained what my
unique criteria are.

My complaint(s) in this thread are Dennis' exaggerations, hyperbole, and grand proclamations in a seemingly never ending attempt to be the center of attention.

It is clearly possible that I'm more sensitive to Dennis' &@#$ slinging because I'm not around here much anymore and I'm taken aback by it's condescending nature.

If there is still any misunderstanding, you can PM me and take it off this thread.

Last edited:
Kevin,

I did not want to be confused with the guys "who follow Dennis around and pat out the fires, if they do." Or if there are any of them?

The fires Dennis started here were not about whether or not the 8x25 CL-P deserved to be discussed about whether it is or is not the best compact binocular. It clearly does. It's the off topic diversions from this where the fires got started.

Ignore the exaggerations, hyperbole and grand proclamations. Unfortunately they are in almost all of new threads Dennis starts.

Bob

Last edited:
Wow, I've tried them side-by-side several times and none of this matches my experience. With respect to optics (especially brightness) I put the Swarovski 8x20 behind both the Leica Ultravid and the Zeiss Victory. Let's start a rumor. Maybe Swarovski updated the coatings after I last tried them such that the very latest generation was much improved over somewhat older units (It is true that the Swarovski compact was updated several times over its long production history). Let's start another rumor. Maybe the Swarovski 8x20 was retired because it wasn't selling well because Swarovski didn't do a good job communicating the fact that the latest incarnation was competitive with the Ultravid, which captured most of the high end market. So perhaps after some re-engineering, including improving the close focus and moving the focus knob from the little finger to the index finger, it will be reborn in a year or two.

--AP
I don't really think a lot of people knew how good the Swaro 8x20 was. It was the last compact and I tried in my "Age of Compacts' when I was trying every compact to see if I could use any for birding and it shocked the heck out of me. I always thought it was an overpriced little piece of optical jewelry. Boy was I wrong. It turned out for me personally to be the best 8x20 I have ever tried. I don't think enough people tried them. I will stick with the fact that it was the brightest 8x20 I have ever tried. The Uvid was close but the Victory wasn't even close. The 8x25 CL-P is more user friendly though even though it is bigger I much prefer using it.

Bob,

:h?: I'm afraid I don't even know what you're talking about.

You'll have to read posts 41 and 42. Or if you did, read them again.

Nuance, subtlety, suggestion are often lost around here I've noticed. So, I'll spell it out in plain English.

I have nothing against Swarovski optics. They may very well be the best money can buy, I don't really know, and more importantly, I really don't care.

I take yours and others word that the little CLs are outstanding.

I understand that the CLs conform to yours and (probably) the vast majority of people's idea of a pocket binocular and have already explained what my
unique criteria are.

My complaint(s) in this thread are Dennis' exaggerations, hyperbole, and grand proclamations in a seemingly never ending attempt to be the center of attention.

It is clearly possible that I'm more sensitive to Dennis' &@#$ slinging because I'm not around here much anymore and I'm taken aback by it's condescending nature.

If there is still any misunderstanding, you can PM me and take it off this thread.
I am sorry you feel that way. It is not my intention to exaggerate. I just say what I am feel. Maybe your personality just doesn't jive with mine. I am a Leo and we tend to think the world revolves around us and we do like to be the center of attention. I think you need to a little more accepting of different peoples personalities and attitudes. That often times with age and experience. Some people anger me but I just blow it off and concentrate on what they are saying and stay on the thread. If you can't accept different peoples views and opinions and get angry about it stay away from my threads because they can be argumentative and sometime caustic. It is a waste of time to continually complain about what somebody says or how they say it. Who cares! Stay on the thread.

Kevin,

I did not want to be confused with the guys "who follow Dennis around and pat out the fires, if they do." Or if there are any of them?

The fires Dennis started here were not about whether or not the 8x25 CL-P deserved to be discussed about whether it is or is not the best compact binocular. It clearly does. It's the off topic diversions from this where the fires got started.

Ignore the exaggerations, hyperbole and grand proclamations. Unfortunately they are in almost all of new threads Dennis starts.

Bob
"Ignore the exaggerations, hyperbole and grand proclamations. Unfortunately they are in almost all of new threads Dennis starts."

Exactly!

Kevin,

If you are talking about me, I posted my thoughts here to give an independent opinion that the new Swarovski 8x25 CL P is a superb compact binocular which fits into the shirt pockets of my Filson and Cabelas shirts and which has long, easy to use ER, large comfortable eye cups and a very wide FOV that is sharp almost to it's very edge!

I don't care if Dennis agrees with that.

To paraphrase Orwell who paraphrased Russell "sometimes one has a duty to restate the obvious."

Bob
"If you are talking about me, I posted my thoughts here to give an independent opinion that the new Swarovski 8x25 CL P is a superb compact binocular which fits into the shirt pockets of my Filson and Cabelas shirts and which has long, easy to use ER, large comfortable eye cups and a very wide FOV that is sharp almost to it's very edge! "

Exactly my point.

This weekend I went to Cabela's again for one last look through the 8x25's - I had pretty much talked myself into buying a pair to have on those occasions when a mini isn't enough, and an alpha is too much (when biking, for example). As an afterthought I decided to look through an 8x30 CL as well. Bad idea. The 8x30 is much more comfortable to use, and not just a little, but significantly brighter, something I didn't expect with a mere 5mm of extra glass. And with it's compact size and middle of the road styling it would still fit innocuously under my arm without drawing too much attention to itself. It could even fit into a jacket pocket if I wanted to keep it hidden.
It's hard for me to justify buying an 8x25 binocular that is a little brighter and easier to use than my Ultravid minis, when for $175 more I can have a binocular that takes useability to a whole new level. The large focus knob alone is worth the extra cost. Swarovski stresses the portability of the 8x30's, and I believe that was their main focus when they were designing it. With these two CL's they have created a new binocular niche combining portability and performance, and I don't see a whole lot of competition from other manufacturers. And in this category, the 8x30 CL rules. People can quibble about the field of view and the optical quality versus a binocular that is more than twice as expensive, but compared to the minis it should more properly be compared to, the 8x30's win hands down.

Last edited:
To CloseFocus:

I own both the 8x25 CL Pocket and the 8x30 CL Companion.

I must disagree that the 8x30CL "should more properly" be compared to minis for the reason that 8x30 is a full size format and 8 and 10x25 binoculars are compact format binoculars.

Properly the 8x30 CL Companion should be compared with other 8x30s like the new Nikon Monarch7 8x30 and the new Kite 8x30 along with the old Swarovski 8x30SLC (still much in use), and the 2 famous 8x30 Alpha porros: The Nikon 8x30 EII and Swarovski's 8x30 Habicht.

The Swarovski 8x25 CL Pocket really is a compact binocular. It is the same size as a typical compact 10x25 binocular.

Here is a picture comparing the 8x25CLP and the 8x30CL for size.

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2880825&postcount=48

Bob

PS: I do agree with you that when comparing their optical qualities and ergonomics the 8x30 CL is the better binocular overall. But the 8x25 is also very good and I find it much easier to carry it around. It fits in the pockets of my Shirt/Jacs and the 8x30 doesn't. Besides the 8x30 CL is my wife's binocular.;)

Last edited:
To CloseFocus:

I own both the 8x25 CL Pocket and the 8x30 CL Companion.

I must disagree that the 8x30CL "should more properly" be compared to minis for the reason that 8x30 is a full size format and 8 and 10x25 binoculars are compact format binoculars.

Properly the 8x30 CL Companion should be compared with other 8x30s like the new Nikon Monarch7 8x30 and the new Kite 8x30 along with the old Swarovski 8x30SLC (still much in use), and the 2 famous 8x30 Alpha porros: The Nikon 8x30 EII and Swarovski's 8x30 Habicht.

The Swarovski 8x25 CLP really is a compact binocular. It is the same size as a typical compact 10x25 binocular.

Here is a picture comparing the 8x25CLP and the 8x30CL for size.

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2880825&postcount=48

Bob

Caesar,

From your picture it looks like the 8x30 is the height of an eye cup taller than the 8x25, and perhaps 30% wider in the middle, not a huge difference in my eyes, especially when compared to most 32 mm binoculars in this price range. I could fit them both into a jacket pocket.
Compared to the minis, the 8x30 CL is only a few hundred dollars more, and if you own the 8x25 you know how much brighter the 8x30 is. The only binocular you name that can compete in my eyes (and remember SIZE is very important in this category) is the Nikon Monarch 7, which I have never heard compared optically to the Swaros, but if they are close enough I would definitely consider them.

Caesar,

From your picture it looks like the 8x30 is the height of an eye cup taller than the 8x25, and perhaps 30% wider in the middle, not a huge difference in my eyes, especially when compared to most 32 mm binoculars in this price range. I could fit them both into a jacket pocket.
Compared to the minis, the 8x30 CL is only a few hundred dollars more, and if you own the 8x25 you know how much brighter the 8x30 is. The only binocular you name that can compete in my eyes (and remember SIZE is very important in this category) is the Nikon Monarch 7, which I have never heard compared optically to the Swaros, but if they are close enough I would definitely consider them.

You have to see these together and hold them in your hand.

They are close to the same height but it ends there because of the design of their hinges. They also have much larger eye cups which I prefer over the ones on the 8x25. I'd carry them around with me more often if the 8x25 wasn't so much more convenient in that respect.

Fully closed the 8x30 is 4 inches wide between the strap lugs. The 8x25 fully closed is 2.5" wide. The 8x30 is also 3/4 of an inch thicker top to bottom than the 8x25 is because the 8x30 has a much larger focus wheel which is the same size found on most 8x32 binoculars.

In fact, if you compare the 8x30 with 2 of the 3 new Opticron 8x32 binoculars you will find that a couple of them might be even smaller than the 8x30CL. Eagle Optics now has Opticron in stock as new items and you can review them there. They are inexpensive and likely not as good overall but may meet your criteria otherwise.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back