• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron Traveller Mg Black (1 Viewer)

typo

I suppose it was about 5 or 6 years ago when I first tried the Traveller and it was a very different animal then. I liked the idea of a very light x32, I even liked the focus at the wrong end, but I wasn't keen on the rest of the execution. In between they made it lighter with the Mg version and added phase coating, which was definitely a step in the right direction, but the rather exposed objective and shiny grey finish meant that I found it still rather troubled by glare.

Now we have the Mg Black. This isn't a review, as I spent only about 20 minutes with it but as it's not had much of a mention yet even a first impression is probably worth posting.

I did try and find the glare. I did try to find the astigmatism I remember from the original. Although I didn't have a previous version for comparison for my eyes there has been quite a transformation. I really enjoyed using it. It still has quite a bit of field curvature, but I could focus it out to a sharp edge. I'll settle for that. The sun wasn't strong that day but it was low and potentially problematic, but I stuggled to even produce a little semicircle of glare at the edge of the view and no hint of the 'fog' that troubled me with the original. The black coating appears to have done the trick. Maybe a sunnier day would have been more testing but definitely a big improvement for me. I was quite happy with the colour, contrast and sharpness for a binocular at this price.

The front focus does take a bit of getting used to, and this one was a fraction stiff but I suspect that would ease a bit with use, The arrangement does make practical sense in a binocular only 98mm, 3.85" long. The previous version had a hinge lock, but I wondered how often it would get used. Anyway it's gone from this versoin which for most is probably no loss. The weight has stayed the same at 380g or less (13.4 oz). The final bit of good news is that the price has dropped by £40 across the range with the 6x32 down to £229 for the UK.

I only checked out the 8x32 on this occasion. I know previously I was rather more drawn to the 6x32 but I don't know if that would still would be the case.

There is now a bit more choice in small x32/30s than there was. Perhaps the optical design of the Mg Black isn't the most sophisticated of the options available. However it is Japanese made, with a 30 year warranty, and I think very well priced and proportioned for a compact travel binocular and definitely a whole lot better than the one I use now.

David

Last edited:
These have intrigued me as well. Not so much that I've spent any money, mind you, but the small size, light weight and reputed optical quality are attractive. I think I'm more tempted by the big exit pupil and wide FOV of the 6x32, then wonder if the 8x32 might be more useful, then do nothing. I expect I'll keep doing nothing since I don't really need them and the cost is sufficient that I won't buy them on a whim. But maybe...

...Mike

I got close to buying a Traveller about 5 years ago, or rather my wife did. She's not a birder but just occasionally she will join me on an outing to somewhere 'nice' and wanted something to fit in her handbag. After trying a few, it boiled down to the Traveller or the Pentax LV 9x28, which was popular with forum members at the time. Anyway the Pentax pouch type case fitted her bag better. To be honest, I wasn't very keen on either, the Traveller for the reasons I mentioned, but I had a Bushnell Elite 7x26 at the time which was pretty good. Unfortunately that's gone, so l have to resort to the Pentax as well if the situation calls for something pocketable. :-C

Anyway, I suspect the optics of the new Mg Black would have been an easy winner in a rematch, but I didn't check the case to see if it might meet with my wife's approval. ;)

David

Last edited:
David,

I couldn't agree more with your assessment. I really like the 6x32 and 8x32 Traveller. I liked the rusty, sandblasted version too, provided it was the Mg with the Oasis coatings. I don't think there's much difference between the new offering and the Mg predecessor. I think it's a charming wee binocular.

How do you think it would fare against the Classic ?

David,

I couldn't agree more with your assessment. I really like the 6x32 and 8x32 Traveller. I liked the rusty, sandblasted version too, provided it was the Mg with the Oasis coatings. I don't think there's much difference between the new offering and the Mg predecessor. I think it's a charming wee binocular.

How do you think it would fare against the Classic ?

Unfortunately I didn't have my Classic with me, but it probably would have been an interesting comparison as they seem to share some optical similarities. My impression was the Traveller had a narrower AFOV, but from the specs they are the same. My impression was there might be a differences in colour and contrast, but I might well be wrong there too. To me it seemed better than it's predecessor, but then, I could be wrong again. ;)

Comparing the Travellers to the rather more expensive binoculars I did have with me was perhaps a little unfair, but for the price, I thought it acquitted itself pretty well.

David

It would be interesting to try it against its immediate predecessor. It's definitely a step up from the original. According to Opticron there's been no upgrade to the optics with the black Mg.

I think the 6x32 and the Classic have more in common than separates them. To me, the Classic has a neutral colour balance and very good contrast. This is my memory of the Traveller. It would be an interesting shoot out...

I have a 6x32 Traveller Mg that I bought as an ex demo from Sherwoods. I understand that Opticron send them their ex demo units to Sherwoods for onwards sales but with the focus lock disabled. Uttings have new ones at a good price.

I bought them because I found my Viking 6x weighed nearer to 800 grams than the 600 grams stated. Too much for me.

My first impression of the Opticrons was how sharp they seemed but, on rare days when the sun was out I thought that the colours were Photoshopped!

We have large numbers of goldfinches and blue tits at our feeders and I came to realize that the blue tits were dull and the yellows of the goldinches were over blown. If I ever look through another pair of Oasis coated bins, I may conclude that these are responsible for the effect.

On dull days I like the Travellers but on rarities, today for example with a clear sky, optically I prefer the Vikings.

That's really interesting. I seem to remember the colour being good on the Traveller. Could it be that they have a slightly warm bias? I remember reds and yellow being very vibrant, but I like that.

My thanks to The-Wanderer: I'd not even thought what the colour balance on these might be like, so it is good to hear from someone with direct experience. This is especially so from someone here in Sydney where, in our fondly imagined theories, we have more bright sunny days than not. (Right now you wouldn't know it if experiencing our actual day-to-day weather.)

...Mike

Last edited:
I have a 6x32 Traveller Mg that I bought as an ex demo from Sherwoods. I understand that Opticron send them their ex demo units to Sherwoods for onwards sales but with the focus lock disabled. Uttings have new ones at a good price.

I bought them because I found my Viking 6x weighed nearer to 800 grams than the 600 grams stated. Too much for me.

My first impression of the Opticrons was how sharp they seemed but, on rare days when the sun was out I thought that the colours were Photoshopped!

We have large numbers of goldfinches and blue tits at our feeders and I came to realize that the blue tits were dull and the yellows of the goldinches were over blown. If I ever look through another pair of Oasis coated bins, I may conclude that these are responsible for the effect.

On dull days I like the Travellers but on rarities, today for example with a clear sky, optically I prefer the Vikings.

As you know, I've tried the Viking MDs numerous time, and yes it's at it's best under blue skies due to a distinctly warm colour balance. I wouldn't have said the latest Travellers were strictly neutral but I would have said the there was more blue and less red than the Vikings and it will have a different, less obviously biased colour rendition and optimum and behaviour in different ambient light conditions. I personally feel different binoculars suite different light conditions and none can possibly be the best for all. Not everyone would agree.

Oasis coating is just the Opticron term for dielectric coating and will vary with the number of layers applied and the materials and hardware used. The Traveller is naturally made to a particular price point and will have something quite different to the new VHD for instance. I'm not sure I ever knew what the MD's prism coatings were but they looked like they were silver. The magic of dielectric is you can get any profile you want. In theory at least.

David

Last edited:
Mike,
Please be aware that I am not a proper birder too frail now for that��. So treat my comments with caution.
Beside my recliner I have the the traveller and two reverse porro Olympus bins 8x and 10x. I like the Olympus bins very much, but against my Vanguard Enveavor EDIIs they are not quite as sharp.They do not take up too much space and serve me well. The Viking 6.5 x 32s stay in the car.

As you know, I've tried the Viking MDs numerous time, and yes it's at it's best under blue skies due to a distinctly warm colour balance. I wouldn't have said the latest Travellers were strictly neutral but I would have said the there was more blue and less red than the Vikings and it will have a different, less obviously biased colour rendition and optimum and behaviour in different ambient light conditions. I personally feel different binoculars suite different light conditions and none can possibly be the best for all. Not everyone would agree.

Oasis coating is just the Opticron term for dielectric coating and will vary with the number of layers applied and the hardware used. The Traveller is naturally made to a particular price point and will have something quite different to the new VHD for instance. I'm not sure I ever knew what the MD's prism coatings were but they looked like they were silver. The magic of dielectric is you can get any profile you want. In theory at least.

David

David,

I researched this a little and yes, the MD has silver coatings. It's very warm compared to the Traveller. For that reason , it can make gloomy days look even gloomier. I suspect the Traveller may be more neutral.

I think I agree with you on the issue of different colour bias suiting different people, but I think that ambient light plays a part too which you have alluded to. The Viking MD is an excellent binocular but really does excel on sunny days when the sun is high in the sky. However, it can appear quite average on a cloudy day.

I think I might try a direct comparison between the Traveller 6x32 and the Classic 7x36. Maybe a three way shoot out including the MD might make it even more interesting....

I think I might try a direct comparison between the Traveller 6x32 and the Classic 7x36. Maybe a three way shoot out including the MD might make it even more interesting....

It wound be interesting to include a Mg Black in the mix as well if you can get hold of one. Obviously without a direct comparison I can't be confident at all, but my thought when I tried it was the blue transmission and contrast had improved a little. You might need the right light conditions to see it..... but of course I might be wrong. ;)

David

David,

You are correct, I would need to compare the two side by side and have the right lighting to compare the blue transmission. Would a dull day be better for testing blue?

David,

You are correct, I would need to compare the two side by side and have the right lighting to compare the blue transmission. Would a dull day be better for testing blue?

The easiest way to spot bigger changes is just find a patch of blue sky and look for a shift to grey or more likely yellow. It's not particularly sensitive. In some ways a warm sunset is better as blue light is in very short supply and the differences seem exagerated. Unfortunately colour constancy means your brain can play tricks on you so watch out for blue appearing to fluctuate as the brain guesses the correct interpretation.

The one I like best is sunshine on wet grass with a hint of defocus. You should get a diffraction sparkle of the full colours of the rainbow. Almost all binoculars totally cut out violet, many indigo and true blue at 440nm will be very variable. Royal blue at about 465nm is perceptually much brighter and a relatively easy wavelength to spot differences. The red end can be less obvious as the far red is really quite dim, but deep red flowers will tend to look more orange. Purples can shift quite a bit with changes at either end of the spectrum.

David

Ps. Blue tits at twilight, as The-Wanderer suggests, can make a good target, but watch out for your brain painting in blue your eyes can't see.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back