• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Night singing bird in Nova Scotia (1 Viewer)

Ellie

I am trying to find out what bird it is that is singing in the middle of the night. Usually around midnight or a bit later. Quite melodious. I can hear the sound on my North American Birds CD-ROM if I find out what it might be. I thought it might be a White Throated Sparrow, but the sounds are not exactly like the ones on the CD.
Any help would be appreciated.
Many thanks
Ellie

Hello again, Ellie!

Is it possible that you have a Northern Mockingbird? Nova Scotia seems a bit far north, but perhaps not impossible, as their range has been expanding northward.

I just read on the Cornell site that non-mated males will frequently sing in the night, especially during the full moon, which we've just had. Full moons will apparently inspire even mated males to night-sing, which apparently they do far less frequently than non-mated males.

And since a mocker can have 100-200 songs in its repertoire, it's entirely possible that one was using a white-throat's song for inspiration!

Hi again Beverley,
I think not the Northern Mockingbird, though I don't know for sure. I have not seen any unusual birds here this year so far... I wonder if it might be the Rose Breasted Grosbeak? The sound is more like that than the white throated sparrow. We have both, but, as I say, the sound is closer. I'll have to listen tonight (hope I hear it tonight!)
Ellie

Does it sound like a Robin with a sore throat? That's the best way I know to describe a Rose-breasted Grosbeak.

Or it could be a Robin itself -- Robins around here have been singing (and waking me) as early as 3 and 3:30 a.m.!

Beverlybaynes said:
Does it sound like a Robin with a sore throat? That's the best way I know to describe a Rose-breasted Grosbeak.

Or it could be a Robin itself -- Robins around here have been singing (and waking me) as early as 3 and 3:30 a.m.!
My first thought when I read this was Northern Mockingbird. They do occur in N.S. We were out looking for owls last night and I did hear White-throats just at dark but I've never heard one in the real middle of the night.
First light right now is around 5 AM and the dawn chorus is great but I don't hear much before that just a few tuning up around 4:30 AM.

I have just played the sounds of Robin and Rose breasted Grosbeak and the Evening Grosbeak. The really annoying thing is that, on my CD ROM of Peterson's Multimedia Guide of North American birds, the sound of the Evening Grosbeak has the sound of the bird I hear, but in the background. None of the other sounds are quite right. It sang again last night but each time it only sings once and then stops. It doesn't sound like the Mockingbird, and if it were mimicking another bird, would it do the same one, each night? Anyway, it's not the dawn. Nor the dusk. Around midnight, or a bit later or a bit earlier. I'll keep listening. Frustration.
Ellie

I recall hearing White throated Sparrows bursting into song in the middle of the night, in Quebec at least twice in the past 4 summers...Does the bird sing for a few seconds at a time, or is it a long song ? Interesting.

Jonathan Meyrav

Night Singing Bird in Nova Scotia

For any who might recall this posting I put in a couple of years ago, I have finally found out the bird that was singing in the middle of the night and waking us up.

We have a pair of Northern Cardinals nesting here. We see them frequently now, and they are sounding just like the mystery night time singer!

:clap:

All the best,

Ellie

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back