• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ebro Delta Saved!! (1 Viewer)

Muy bien. Are the PSOE more enviromentally conscious in general? I'd love to see the Federal government persuade the Andalucian provincial government to give protected status to La Janda & encourage it's restoration. The loss of La Janda as a massive wetland site must count as one of Europe's greatest enviromental tragedies. It would also be good to see official protected status for some of the Extremaduran steppe habitats.

At the risk of appearing overly cynical, I'd advise against cheering an incoming government too loudly on the basis of what they might do.

Steve G

Check out this website ( http://www.lagunalajanda.org/) re Laguna de La Janda (in Spanish and English). I've spent a lot of birding time in this area over many years, it's a fabulous place, 350 plus Griffons, Egyptians, Bonellis, Short-toed Eagle, Booted, Black Kite, Montagu's and Marsh Harriers, Calandra larks (very common), Short-toed larks, Tawny Pipit, plus lots of other good birds.
Anyone wanting more information and contacts, e-mail me.

nirofo.

Last edited:
Hi all,
Being from Spain I have to say that the new gov. will be better for the spanish wildlife for sure, couldn't be worse with that b.... Aznar. That doesn't mean the new ones will be good enough though...

nirofo said:
Steve G

Check out this website re Laguna de La Janda (in Spanish and English). I've spent a lot of birding time in this area over many years, it's a fabulous place, 350 plus Griffons, Egyptians, Bonellis, Short-toed Eagle, Booted, Black Kite, Montagu's and Marsh Harriers, Calandra larks (very common), Short-toed larks, Tawny Pipit, plus lots of other good birds.
Anyone wanting more information and contacts, e-mail me.

nirofo.

La Janda must be one of the best place I have ever been birding... and I have only seen it at its nadir!

Jane Turner said:
La Janda must be one of the best place I have ever been birding... and I have only seen it at its nadir!

Also check out the lagoon at Gallocanta - had one full day birding there last week. The locals told us we were crazy, we´d missed the cranes, they´d all gone. By this they meant there were only 12,000 left, with some 40,000 being present at the peak. That and stone curlew, Red Kites, my first male Hen Harrier to name a few (i´ll put it on a trip report one day) - fantastic location.

And I do think the new government will be more environmental. Many links between the left and greens here. My boss at SEO here is a prime mover in the anti-pipeline campaign and from the horses mouth - "This is pretty much the end for the water transfer"

Here´s hoping

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back