• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brown Shrike ? (1 Viewer)

Sumit

Hi,
Reading Seyed's interesting shrike post, I was reminded of a bird which I had photographed in October 2004. It may well be a Brown Shrike (Lanius cristatus cristatus), a common winter visitor to Kolkata city in eastern India. But, I was never comfortable with the ID because of features like head shape, bill size, supercilum (or lack of it) and the light plumage. A confirmation would be really excellent.
Local winter visitors to the area include Lanius cristatus lucionensis and the resident shrike species is the tricolor ssp. of Long-tailed Shrike.
Thanks and regards,
Sumit

Attachments

• shrike1.jpg
    shrike1.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 129
  • shrike2.jpg
    shrike2.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 132
Interesting. Looks very pale for Brown Shrike and not quite right structurally. I'd expect a stouter bill and more bullish-looking head for Brown. The tail also looks rather square-tipped, while Brown Shrike has a heavily graduated tail. I reckon it's an Isabelline Shrike, but which race?

First-winters are very hard to assign to race. My guess, based on the very sandy colouration and weak eye-mask is arenarius. But to be honest it's only a guess. Tim and others will no doubt be able to provide some good input.

Regards

Greg

sphinx79 said:
Interesting. Looks very pale for Brown Shrike and not quite right structurally. I'd expect a stouter bill and more bullish-looking head for Brown. The tail also looks rather square-tipped, while Brown Shrike has a heavily graduated tail. I reckon it's an Isabelline Shrike, but which race?

First-winters are very hard to assign to race. My guess, based on the very sandy colouration and weak eye-mask is arenarius. But to be honest it's only a guess. Tim and others will no doubt be able to provide some good input.

Regards

Greg
Thanks Greg!
There are only scattered records Lanius isabellinus from eastern India though it is a common winter visitor to the north-western part of the country. It would be interesting to get more views on the bird. As far as I am concerned it is very unusual for a Brown Shrike to look like this (and I see lots!) but I am fairly low on experience with l.isabellinus.
Regards,
Sumit

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back