• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help, whats this pipet (1 Viewer)

Dave Adshead

How much!
Can anybody put me out of my misery. The photographs below are of two pipets but which one?. The one with a bug in its bill I took on Staple Island, Farnes in July 04. It was feeding one chick. Numerous birders stopped to watch and chat 50% told me it was a Meadow Pipet, 50% a Rock Pipet, so being relatively new to birds I was none the wiser.
The second Pipet I photographed at Exmouth on Sunday 31.10.04, The estuary was just a few metres away at my back, this appears to be the same type of bird.

Thanks in anticipation

Dave

Attachments

• Pipet-1-.jpg
    Pipet-1-.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 205
  • Pipet-2-.jpg
    Pipet-2-.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
Chris is right Dave (he usually is!!)

Look at the breast markings, on Meadow Pipit they are well defined whereas in Rock Pipit they always look a bit sullied. Imagine drawing a charcoal line on paper and then rubbing your hands over it - it smudges, this is the difference between Rock and Meadow Pipit.
Rock Pipit is an altogether much draber bird, and side by side with Meadow looks chunkier and more robust. Also look at the legs. In Meadow Pipit the legs are invariably a shade of pink. In Rock Pipit they are much darker - often looking black or at best 'scab' red.

Hope this helps

Darrell

Darrell Clegg said:
Chris is right Dave (he usually is!!)

Look at the breast markings, on Meadow Pipit they are well defined whereas in Rock Pipit they always look a bit sullied. Imagine drawing a charcoal line on paper and then rubbing your hands over it - it smudges, this is the difference between Rock and Meadow Pipit.
Rock Pipit is an altogether much draber bird, and side by side with Meadow looks chunkier and more robust. Also look at the legs. In Meadow Pipit the legs are invariably a shade of pink. In Rock Pipit they are much darker - often looking black or at best 'scab' red.

Hope this helps

Darrell
Thanks twice Darrell! Once for the (wildly inaccurate) compliment and the second for breaking the i.d. down so well - something I was too lazy to do.
I love the 'scab-red' description of Rockit leg-colour, although I don't see Dulux doing that one in their catalogue any day soon! ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back