• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I broke my SF so you don't have to... (1 Viewer)

HN

Since the accident took place within your home, it should be covered by your home contents insurance if you have bought this.

Lee

I do have home contents insurance actually, but I want to see what Zeiss says first before I decide to use it. :smoke:

. If claims are made on home contents insurance, then it is likely that the next premium will increase, or you will lose your no claims bonus.
This applies to many types of insurance.
So you have to weigh up whether it is worth claiming or not.

. If claims are made on home contents insurance, then it is likely that the next premium will increase, or you will lose your no claims bonus.
This applies to many types of insurance.
So you have to weigh up whether it is worth claiming or not.

I'm fully aware of that Binastro, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here: let's see what Zeiss says first. ;)

Black arrow: An irregularity in the cast?
White arrow: Where is the smooth curve to avoid a stressriser?

The little pigtail of metal below the arrows appears even more iffy.
It suggests a casting gone awry, as it seems implausible to me that anyone would design one half a millimeter thick.

Hi Brock!

I think the Conquest HD is great, but I would rather have my SF back. ;)

The environmental organisation Bellona actually did this stunt last year, when they drove a Tesla about 230 kilometers from Kirkenes to Murmansk:
http://barentsobserver.com/en/business/2014/03/pollution-solution-19-03

I'm pretty sure they didn't do it in - 40 C though. :smoke: Apart from the cold, I'm not sure the Tesla has the range to really be useful up here. The distances are huge, and there is also the lack of charging stations...

Not only that but Norway is Europe's largest oil producer, the world's third-largest natural gas exporter, and a major supplier of both oil and natural gas to other European countries, so I would expect that gasoline prices are lower than other European countries, no? Unless you have to abide by what price the EU sets. Damn that Merkel! ;)

None-the-less, Norwegians are buying Teslas, 5,000 of them last year. The Tesla S has a range of 500 km.

The problem with Norway is even though the wages are the highest in Europe, Norway is among the most expensive countries in the world in terms of cost of living. I expect that's in part due to Norwegians buying so many alpha binoculars. ;)

I got 334 km for the Tesla S and that is probably on the flat, still not bad, more like 200 km. Well what I found online, I sure don't have one.

I can't wait to try the Zeiss SF at the Lost Creek Shoe Shop.

I got 334 km for the Tesla S and that is probably on the flat, still not bad, more like 200 km. Well what I found online, I sure don't have one.

I can't wait to try the Zeiss SF at the Lost Creek Shoe Shop.

You didn't read the article HN cited above. The new battery Tesla developed increases the range of the "S" to 500 km under ideal conditions, but even at -17 C (1.4*F), it made a long-distance trip of 435 km, with 70 km to spare on the battery. The ride started in HN's hometown of Kirkenes:

"With Frederic Hauge in the driver’s seat, BarentsObserver takes the role as co-pilot in the 230 kilometer ride from Kirkenes in northern Norway towards Murmansk on the Barents Sea coast. The drive is the first long-distance tour ever made into Russia’s Kola Peninsula with an electric car. Without re-charging the batteries, and with temperatures down to minus 17 degrees Celsius, the Tesla proved to be a brilliant means of transportation in Arctic conditions.

"The Tesla Model S 85 kWh has a range of around 500 kilometers in good conditions on a good summer day.....

"Unlike other electric cars, the 2,1 tons heavy Tesla Model S is a full-size family vehicle with seats for five and space for luggage. It takes power to move. By the Russian border check-point Borisoglebsk, our display reads 435 kilometers in range. You quickly learn to pay attention to the “range-meter” at such drive. There aren’t any chargers for electric cars on the road between Kirkenes and Murmansk. Fully aware that low temperatures and bumpy road is likely to reduce the range further we drive softly....

"Arriving in Murmansk, the display showed that we still had some 70 kilometer range left on the batteries."

http://pollution-solution

Where electric cars are badly needed is in China, whose major cities have very bad pollution problems.

The holdup with electric cars at this point is the same holdup with E85 (ethanol), CNG and LNG -- not enough charging/refueling stations for long trips. The Sheetz on (High)North Atherton has an electric car charging station in back. I talked to a teacher from Altoona, who was charging her Chevy Volt's battery at Sheetz. The Volt only has a 50-mile range, but that's enough to get her from Altoona and State College, then she has to recharge, unless she uses the gasoline back-up engine.

I hope you will let me ride along when you go to Lost Creek to try the SF. You can charge your battery at Sheetz. ;)

Last edited:
Driving one on sea level flats is one thing. It should also do fine on Long Island where a lot of potential buyers live. Try testing it out on Northern and Central Pennsylvania's hills and mountain highways and rural roads in the middle of winter and then see how it works out.

Interior China has to be worse.

In the quest for "lightness and exotic shapes, etc, etc." even a company with a sterling reputation such as Zeiss produces a "turkey" once in a while. That it should happen to its flag ship line is simply embarrassing, but remember Murphy's Law can strike the high and mighty, too. A drop on a tile floor is hardly recommended for anything man-made. The casting was simply defective. It obviously got through quality control. Zeiss will make it good.

John

Now a month since the accident and still no response from Zeiss?
Seems a missed opportunity for customer service to shine.

Now a month since the accident and still no response from Zeiss?
Seems a missed opportunity for customer service to shine.

Doesn't surprise me at all - I have been dealing with them directly to get my SF's replaced for the focus issues since 4th Feb and have found Zeiss in the UK to be next to useless.

Hi!

The latest news is that the factory in Germany received the binoculars on 26th of February, and that's where it currently stands. When I contacted the dealer on 16th of March, they said that they expected to hear from Zeiss "soon"...

Back in February, the dealer warned me that it took on average over a month to have a Zeiss binocular repaired, and that I probably couldn't expect to have it back before Easter...

I chose to go through the dealer instead of going to Zeiss directly, as I have a very good relationship with this particular dealer. He understands my concerns, and can back me up if needed be. ;)

Hi!

The latest news is that the factory in Germany received the binoculars on 26th of February, and that's where it currently stands. When I contacted the dealer on 16th of March, they said that they expected to hear from Zeiss "soon"...

Back in February, the dealer warned me that it took on average over a month to have a Zeiss binocular repaired, and that I probably couldn't expect to have it back before Easter...

I chose to go through the dealer instead of going to Zeiss directly, as I have a very good relationship with this particular dealer. He understands my concerns, and can back me up if needed be. ;)

Well, it has now been a month, and in my opinion they cannot properly repair a
break in that binocular like you have reported.
The reason, it is new, and they don't know how!
Companies don't weld up magnesium frames and send them out again.

I am surprised that you have not received a brand new
replacement by now.

Zeiss can and should do much better than that. Your dealer should
have taken care of you.

So much for Zeiss service. :smoke:

Jerry

Well, it has now been a month, and in my opinion they cannot properly repair a
break in that binocular like you have reported.
The reason, it is new, and they don't know how!
Companies don't weld up magnesium frames and send them out again.

I am surprised that you have not received a brand new
replacement by now.

Zeiss can and should do much better than that. Your dealer should
have taken care of you.

So much for Zeiss service. :smoke:

Jerry

Yep, it looks like Mike Jensen doesn't visit here anymore. Even then, it seemed things only got fixed when he intervened directly. Zeiss should have been on top of this from day one......it looks pretty bad when the flagship cracks open like a raw egg and then we all wait a month to see what Zeiss will do about it.

Yep, it looks like Mike Jensen doesn't visit here anymore. Even then, it seemed things only got fixed when he intervened directly. Zeiss should have been on top of this from day one......it looks pretty bad when the flagship cracks open like a raw egg and then we all wait a month to see what Zeiss will do about it.

James, a Zeiss customer should not need anyone at a high level to help with a warranty repair.

Mike was active here starting in 2013, with the advent of the new
HT, Terra and Conquest HD lines. I found him to be a great communicator
and answered many questions posed to him on these new optics.

That is rare in the world today, with a head of an optics division to
spend time like that. I like that. ;)

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back