Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - A window to the world of birds

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1534 votes, 4.98 average.
Old Thursday 5th August 2010, 21:39   #9426
Irene Boston

Quote:
Originally Posted by black kite 1964 View Post
... raven as a county tick? I premuse if some birds wintered you would expect the news to be put out? Raven is not a rare breeder.
Raven may not be a rare breeder elsewhere but it would be in Norfolk... and one which would attract a lot of attention, much of it detrimental to the bird's welfare... which I would hope is rather more important than whether it's a county tick.
Old Thursday 5th August 2010, 22:22   #9427
Andy Musgrove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakeney Resident View Post
is this the first juvie autumn Wheatear hoping about around the grounded boat along the creek at Blakeney? oh yeah so it is - cuckoo too
Sorry - one on the beach behind Cley North Hide on Monday! (I'd forgotten until I read this!)

Cheers

Andy
Old Friday 6th August 2010, 05:00   #9428
Kevin Groocock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Musgrove View Post
Sorry - one on the beach behind Cley North Hide on Monday! (I'd forgotten until I read this!)

Cheers

Andy

Yet more apologies - one recorded on Friday 31st July at Cley on shingle ridge between end of East Bank and North Hide in morning at about 0700.

Should anyone be remotely interested, I have just placed my trip reports and images on my Blog and Website - links below.

My Flickr Images
Old Friday 6th August 2010, 13:02   #9429
black kite 1964
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene Boston View Post
Raven may not be a rare breeder elsewhere but it would be in Norfolk... and one which would attract a lot of attention, much of it detrimental to the bird's welfare... which I would hope is rather more important than whether it's a county tick.
Do not agree Irene. Birders would show interest in seeing Raven(s) in Norfolk. Once the birds had been seen, I would suspect that interest would dwindle. Further, if breeding or suspected breeding was considered, then the pager services would stop putting out information. Once again we will agree to disagree.
Old Friday 6th August 2010, 18:20   #9430
Tideliner

But you are missing the point Black Kite. Ravens will be likely to breed close or within their wintering area. Once the information is out any egger will know where to look for the nest. Its true there are plenty of ravens across the country , but these will be very attractive to eggers who like to have sample clutches from every county in the country. If anyone is that keen to see ravens there are plenty in the Westcountry. The risk just so someone can have a tick is just not worth it. If all goes well and they spread in the future you may be able to garden tick them , but for now other than those who are keeping an eye on the birds there is no need for anyone else to have the information of their location.

Last edited by Tideliner : Friday 6th August 2010 at 18:22.
Old Friday 6th August 2010, 19:40   #9431
davethebird

Good news / bad news

A morning at Cley today. The pager recorded the Hooded Crow as present but 'unwell'. When we eventually spotted it, it was the most active corvid in the field.

Then along to North Hide and there was the adult Crane and this was an adult lacking the bottom part of its left leg.

Dave
Old Friday 6th August 2010, 20:06   #9432
mr.sim
Honourable founding member of the "day late" gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by davethebird View Post
The pager recorded the Hooded Crow as present but 'unwell'. When we eventually spotted it, it was the most active corvid in the field.
Were all the other corvids already dead then?

You know you're having a bad birding day when you realise you'd rather be working...
Old Friday 6th August 2010, 20:30   #9433
black kite 1964
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tideliner View Post
But you are missing the point Black Kite. Ravens will be likely to breed close or within their wintering area. Once the information is out any egger will know where to look for the nest. Its true there are plenty of ravens across the country , but these will be very attractive to eggers who like to have sample clutches from every county in the country. If anyone is that keen to see ravens there are plenty in the Westcountry. The risk just so someone can have a tick is just not worth it. If all goes well and they spread in the future you may be able to garden tick them , but for now other than those who are keeping an eye on the birds there is no need for anyone else to have the information of their location.
No tideliner. I think u are missing the point! all information re breeding birds (including ravens) will be public via the bird report. Rumours also go round grapevines and info will come to the attention of eggers. The idea that all info re scarce vistors or potential breeders must always be treated as top secret (if i tell u i will have to kill u!) is misguided and a bit anal! Info has got out re breeding purple heron and little bittern. No harm has been caused and birders have gone away happy. Each situation needs to be looked at on a case by case basis!
Old Friday 6th August 2010, 20:43   #9434
Connor Rand
Norwich resident, Holme devotee

Quote:
all information re breeding birds (including ravens) will be public via the bird report
Public knowlegde that they have bred yes, but I would expect any breeding records, at the very least, will be published without the location. As for the Somerset Little Bitterns, no harm in the end but some rather undesireable behaviour did have local birders fuming and could have been damaging....
Old Friday 6th August 2010, 21:10   #9435
black kite 1964
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor Rand View Post
Public knowlegde that they have bred yes, but I would expect any breeding records, at the very least, will be published without the location. As for the Somerset Little Bitterns, no harm in the end but some rather undesireable behaviour did have local birders fuming and could have been damaging....
Agreed connor. There will always be idiots - the majority have large camera lens. Good reason to keep quiet about the dusky u find this october at holme eh!
Old Friday 6th August 2010, 21:21   #9436
Vespa
Tom Hines

HBs - Swanton Novers

Hi folks,

Have there been any recent sightings of HBs at Swanton Novers (or Great Ryburgh)? I haven't seen anything on the news services for a while.

As I have a few days camping with the family in N Norfolk (clever eh?) I thought I would make my annual pilgramage to stand in a field for a couple of hours and not see any Honey Buzzards

I wouldn't want to spoil the running joke by actually seeing one, so if anyone could confirm they are not around that would be appreciated
Old Friday 6th August 2010, 21:30   #9437
petehasset

Quote:
Agreed connor. There will always be idiots - the majority have large camera lens. Good reason to keep quiet about the dusky u find this october at holme eh!
why r u poking your nose into stuff in & about norfolk , don't u have your own patch , or r u jealous off what great birds & sites we have here , or is yours so drab ,
Old Friday 6th August 2010, 21:31   #9438
Connor Rand
Norwich resident, Holme devotee

Quote:
Good reason to keep quiet about the dusky u find this october at holme eh!
Don't worry Mark, some will get the call
Old Friday 6th August 2010, 21:42   #9439
black kite 1964
Registered Member

[quote=Connor Rand;1894539]Don't worry Mark, some will get the call [/QUOTE
Yes connor. I know who u will phone! U due to find something good! Regards. Mark.
Old Friday 6th August 2010, 22:07   #9440
James Emerson
Norwich Birder

Still being seen at the end of July, although Tideliner can probably give you an update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespa View Post
Hi folks,

Have there been any recent sightings of HBs at Swanton Novers (or Great Ryburgh)? I haven't seen anything on the news services for a while.

Without being a killjoy, I think we may have done the breeding bird thing to death.

No-one should publicise sites for breeding birds that are a) Nationally rare, b) rare at county level or c) sensitive to disturbance. Bird reports disclose locations on a case-by-case basis, but as they come out a year later it is possible to determine whether the birds have returned, and how much information is in the public domain at that point.

In the case of the possible breeding of Hoopoe and Raven the information that they may have bred is provocative but as no sites were revealed no harm has been done.

I look forward to reading and contributing some birding related posts soon
Old Saturday 7th August 2010, 07:33   #9441
firstreesjohn

Hoopoe breeding site revealed !

Just to the left of the pic.

I agree with James: let's leave this alone, now, or the mods might close the thread- then what would we do ? I predict BIRDS in the very near future.

I bet that people have already been searching for potential Raven sites. They shouldn't !

The Crane at Cley reminded me of Peter Sellers and Dudley Moore (perhaps 'Less', in this case): it's even a "unidexter". If someone was able to catch it, I'm sure we'd stump up for an artifical leg.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hoopoe.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	276508  
Old Saturday 7th August 2010, 09:20   #9442
NoSpringChicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstreesjohn View Post
The Crane at Cley reminded me of Peter Sellers and Dudley Moore (perhaps 'Less', in this case): it's even a "unidexter".
At the risk of appearing pedantic, I think you are referring to the mighty Peter Cooke. A brilliant sketch.

Ron

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 7th August 2010, 09:37   #9443
inags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespa View Post
Hi folks,

As I have a few days camping with the family in N Norfolk (clever eh?) I thought I would make my annual pilgramage to stand in a field for a couple of hours and not see any Honey Buzzards

I wouldn't want to spoil the running joke by actually seeing one, so if anyone could confirm they are not around that would be appreciated
I have stood in that very field, with equally amusing results.

There is also the uplifting experience of meeting other pilgrims, I met some travelling from Scotland on their way to Lakenheath, some from Yorkshire to Minsmere.
Old Saturday 7th August 2010, 10:43   #9444
davethebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstreesjohn View Post
The Crane at Cley reminded me of Peter Sellers and Dudley Moore (perhaps 'Less', in this case): it's even a "unidexter". If someone was able to catch it, I'm sure we'd stump up for an artifical leg.
The picture below shows the shortened left leg. If this was a major rarity we could discuss the "possible escape" theory - leg irons commonly used to tether cranes, etc.

I'm still confused as to why a healthy Hooded Crow was labelled 'unwell' on the pager but the one and half legged Crane passes without comment.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Crane 100806 DSCN3226 BF.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	276533  
Old Saturday 7th August 2010, 10:50   #9445
Paul Eele

Titchwell Coastal Project Update

Amazingly, 2 weeks have gone by already so I thought I would let you know what progress we have made.

In a word...loads!!
Our current focus is on getting the west bank constructed and access opened as soon as we can. The west bank has been stripped backto a level base and we are now bringing the stored clay in to widen and raise the bank. This is going very well and as long as the weather is in our favour (dry), we are still on schedule.
Work on the freshmarsh improvements goes well. Most of the encroaching reed alongside the west bank has been removed, existing islands re-profiled and a wet feature infront of the new Parrinder Hide site, designed to bring waders closer to the hide in the autumn, has been finished.

Photo 1 - looking south, from the grazing meadow pool, towards the Meadow Trail junction in the distance.
Photo 2 - 30 ton dumper + digger working on the west bank.
Photo 3 - looking north along the west bank. The 1st digger is working at the 'hump' overlooking the reedbed pool. The 2nd digger is by Island Hide.
Photo 4 - Reed removal

Further information visit www.rspb.org.uk/titchwell or call 01485 210779. If you would like to receive updates on how work is progressing and path re-opening details then email titchwell@rspb.org.uk with TCCP BF as the title.

For all the latest Titchwell RSPB news check our new blog at http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/gro...g/default.aspx

Paul
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1030706.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	276530  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1931.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	276531  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030704.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	276532  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1835.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	276534  
Old Saturday 7th August 2010, 11:24   #9446
ben_lewis

Wow,
Cheers for posting the Pics Paul, good to get an idea of whats going on there. As you say looks like they have made a quick change to the site. Hope it all goes well and works to plan. Are there still birds using the site? I imagine the majority of works is being done by diggers etc so 'real' human disturbance may be lower than expected...or am I wrong?
See you soon hopefully,
Old Saturday 7th August 2010, 12:10   #9447
PYRTLE

Quick drop in to Swanton Novers at midday revealed a "mewing" common buzzrad flying south - nothing on the sighting board as to HBs.
Old Saturday 7th August 2010, 12:31   #9448
john miller

Sorry for non birding subject. Water Voles are showing well from the bridge between the Cley visitor center and the hide complex.

john

http://kellingnaturegallery.fotopic.net/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	-0254.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	276550  Click image for larger version

Name:	-0220.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	276552  Click image for larger version

Name:	-0215.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	276555  

Last edited by john miller : Saturday 7th August 2010 at 13:43.
Old Saturday 7th August 2010, 15:18   #9449
upstarts1979

Quote:
No tideliner. I think u are missing the point! all information re breeding birds (including ravens) will be public via the bird report. Rumours also go round grapevines and info will come to the attention of eggers. The idea that all info re scarce vistors or potential breeders must always be treated as top secret (if i tell u i will have to kill u!) is misguided and a bit anal! Info has got out re breeding purple heron and little bittern. No harm has been caused and birders have gone away happy. Each situation needs to be looked at on a case by case basis!
To Black kite
Considering you don't live in Norfolk you spend a lot of time on that thread and most of you posts end up slagging the birders from the county or have a negative slant. Did someone upset you once and you just can't forgive em.
Old Saturday 7th August 2010, 15:31   #9450
nigelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstarts1979 View Post
To Black kite
Considering you don't live in Norfolk you spend a lot of time on that thread and most of you posts end up slagging the birders from the county or have a negative slant. Did someone upset you once and you just can't forgive em.
Come on, guys and gals - let's give this a rest now.

This thread has always been good-natured, and disagreements have usually been aired with a good measure of courtesy. Let's keep it that way!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: