Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1534 votes, 4.98 average.
Old Saturday 7th August 2010, 17:17   #9451
Irene Boston

Titchwell update - thanks Paul

As Ben says, wow! Amazing what can be done in such a short time and with some very large tonka toys...

Many thanks for the update - looking forward to seeing the new look in the flesh.
Old Saturday 7th August 2010, 17:37   #9452
firstreesjohn

More bad parking at Walsey

I thought that I’d seen the worst when the Trumpeter Finch was here- some even parked on the brow by the East Bank. However, this takes the biscuit. He must have been really keen to get down and loose with those Beardies.

Seriously, it could have been much worse- thanks to Steve G for stopping me- and only needed a Paramedic, Ambulance, Fire Engine and Police Car. Almost matches those toys at Twitchwell.

On the bird front, below’s a pic of the 20 Spoonbills at Cley this afters. I saw the 21st fly in from the west whilst gassing with Julian B.

P.S. Yes, of course, I meant Peter Cook (not Sellers)- re my #9441. A mental aberration, caused by excessive tiredness, following my holiday on the other side of this sceptred isle. Thank you and apologies for fowling up the ID, NoSpringChicken.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	029sm.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	276591  Click image for larger version

Name:	019psesm.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	276592  Click image for larger version

Name:	044psesm.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	276593  
Old Saturday 7th August 2010, 17:39   #9453
petehasset

Quote:
Originally Posted by john miller View Post
Sorry for non birding subject. Water Voles are showing well from the bridge between the Cley visitor center and the hide complex.

john

http://kellingnaturegallery.fotopic.net/
I think the water voles look quite sweet
Old Saturday 7th August 2010, 17:42   #9454
Paul Woolnough

Titchwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene Boston View Post
As Ben says, wow! Amazing what can be done in such a short time and with some very large tonka toys...

Many thanks for the update - looking forward to seeing the new look in the flesh.
Agree with everyone. l look forward to seeing the results of the Titchwell Project

Put my bird records on my computer and was able to work out my Titchwell list! Have seen some good birds at Titchwell this year with smew, red kite, tree sparrow and Iberian chiffchaff site ticks. More to come when the works are finished. Can get my site list past 200 (currently 198) and overtake my Minsmere total (199).
Old Saturday 7th August 2010, 21:55   #9455
Vespa
Tom Hines

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRTLE View Post
Quick drop in to Swanton Novers at midday revealed a "mewing" common buzzrad flying south - nothing on the sighting board as to HBs.
Thanks for the update.
Old Saturday 7th August 2010, 22:03   #9456
Tideliner

Swanton Novers Honey Buzzards.
This year they have been very difficult to see , but have been present since the 3rd week of June. With such a late arrival they have not attempted to breed and have spent much of their time in the woods only showing on the odd occasion. There have been no sightings this week within the reserve or at the watchpoint , but one came over the pagers mid week at Thornage a few miles to the north and I saw one on Thursday 2 miles west of Swanton Novers Woods. So at least one is still in the area. However as they have not bred I am expecting them to leave within the next week or so. During the past week sparrowhawk , kestrel , hobby , marsh harrier and plenty of common buzzards have been seen. Its just getting into the window when almost any raptor can turn up on migration , osprey and monties are a good possibility on the right day.
Old Saturday 7th August 2010, 23:09   #9457
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by john miller View Post
Sorry for non birding subject. Water Voles are showing well from the bridge between the Cley visitor center and the hide complex.

john

http://kellingnaturegallery.fotopic.net/
Very cute, sweet pictures John!!!
Old Saturday 7th August 2010, 23:12   #9458
Penny Clarke

Lovely day despite the rain!!!

Started off at Holt Country Park to dip the Silver Washed Fritillary but did have lovely views of a White Admiral on the buddleia. Saw Irene B., Justin and Andy here also! Also two Nuthatches on the bird table and Marsh Tit, coal tit, great tit and robin here.

On route to Cley I was shocked to see 2 police cars and an ambulance attending to a red van that had veered off the road at Walsey Hills and landed in Snipe's Marsh!!!!!!!

Saw the Hooded Crow in the Eye Field at Cley on two occasions (pity I didn't get this on my county list last year!!! Walked to North Hide where there were 20 Spoonbills!!! and a good selection of waders, including juv. shelduck, avocets, redshanks, little ringed plovers and ringed plovers, green sandpiper, knot, whimbrel and curlew (flew over west), golden plover, yellow legged gull (the way this was sitting I would never have known, but Justin L. assured me it was!), marsh harrier sitting in bush, black tailed godwit, spotted redshank, dunlin, pied wagtails etc etc. Tons of swallows and sandmartins flying around and sitting on the low fence wires and posts not far from Cley Beach Carpark on route to North Scrape.

Cley Visitor Centre for late lunch, also joined Pete S. - was lucky with the last jacket potato!!! Went back to the beach carpark and bumped into John F. who then told me all about the car accident at Walsey! Raining now and dull weather. Tried to photograph the martins on wires, but too dull. Text from Andy W and Justin L. who had the Silver Washed Fritillary at 2.45pm (second trip)!!! Went back to Holt Country Park later but on arrival it was black skies and teaming down with rain - sat in car and had a snooze. No sign of sun coming out. Left and went back to Cley Beach carpark and suddenly the sun was fully out along with a perfect rainbow! I sat for ages in the grass bank photographing swallows and sandmartins - whilst sitting here I had fantastic views of a Peregrine going over west at 5.30pm which obviously scattered all the birds!

Went to Walsey Hills to see if anything else had been added to the site - but no more changes that I could see. No birds here of note. Photographed the red van in Snipe's Marsh!

Cruised home along the coast road - had a barn owl and a marsh harrier on route. Sat on the roadside at Bone's Drift to have a sandwich and cup of tea and then drove back to Lynn.

Best Wishes Penny

Last edited by Penny Clarke : Sunday 8th August 2010 at 00:18.
Old Saturday 7th August 2010, 23:46   #9459
Vespa
Tom Hines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tideliner View Post
Swanton Novers Honey Buzzards.
This year they have been very difficult to see , but have been present since the 3rd week of June. With such a late arrival they have not attempted to breed and have spent much of their time in the woods only showing on the odd occasion. There have been no sightings this week within the reserve or at the watchpoint , but one came over the pagers mid week at Thornage a few miles to the north and I saw one on Thursday 2 miles west of Swanton Novers Woods. So at least one is still in the area. However as they have not bred I am expecting them to leave within the next week or so. During the past week sparrowhawk , kestrel , hobby , marsh harrier and plenty of common buzzards have been seen. Its just getting into the window when almost any raptor can turn up on migration , osprey and monties are a good possibility on the right day.
Thanks for the update on this Tideliner.
Old Sunday 8th August 2010, 01:02   #9460
dodo to go

Saw the Kentish Plover at Breydon this afternoon, a lifer for me, so thank you Peter for yet another good find! In the evening there was a small wader viewable from the hide on the north side of Breydon, possibly a Little Stint but couldn't rule out anything rarer from the views.

Can't believe there are 6 people viewing this thread at 1am!
Old Sunday 8th August 2010, 21:13   #9461
Reader

I had an unusual find at Cley East Bank car park today. An Emperor Moth caterpillar. What's one of those doing there. They should be on moorland feeding on heather not by the side of a large reedbed.

Here is a photo of it.

John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Caterpillar 8621.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	276897  
Old Sunday 8th August 2010, 21:49   #9462
NoSpringChicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader View Post
I had an unusual find at Cley East Bank car park today. An Emperor Moth caterpillar. What's one of those doing there. They should be on moorland feeding on heather not by the side of a large reedbed.

Here is a photo of it.

John
I saw one at Minsmere today at the beach end of the north wall path between the reedbeds. I have seen them there before, so it appears they do favour that sort of habitat. Nice shot John.

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 9th August 2010, 06:35   #9463
firstreesjohn

Emperor gives good mirth

They're also quite prolific in the isolated brambles immediately west of Gramboro', just a couple of miles to the east.

You might be interested in the Norfolk Butterflies and Moths thread:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=137034

A nice, juicy meal for the right bird !
Old Monday 9th August 2010, 19:37   #9464
jimbob

You are about to hear an awful lot about this, so I thought I would get in ahead of her .
I won the walk and lunch with Simon King!!!!!!!!!! Get in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Joined at birdfair by birdforumers Nikon Kid and Penny Clarke!
Will be nice to meet you Penny, I have re-read my email from Zeiss a few times now and still can't quite believe it!

On a more down to earth note, I have decided to adopt Surlingham Church March as my patch. Great little reserve with bags of potential. If anyone has any previous records or experience of the reserve, I would like to know.

Attempting to chill out with a cider,
Jim.
Old Monday 9th August 2010, 19:56   #9465
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
You are about to hear an awful lot about this, so I thought I would get in ahead of her .
I won the walk and lunch with Simon King!!!!!!!!!! Get in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheeeeekkkkkk
Old Monday 9th August 2010, 19:57   #9466
Penny Clarke

Ok Jim you're right!!!!!!!

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=178065

Birdforum - Carl Zeiss UK 'Win a Wildlife Walk and Lunch with Simon King!' competition

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Almost speechless!!!!! Well not quite. How incredibly exciting, thank you soooooooo much BIRDFORUM. WOW!!!!!!

Just read the email from Carl Zeiss - quote ".....you will have an unforgettable experience with "the best in the business......"

I think that goes without saying!!!!!!!

Looking forward to meeting BF members Terry and Jim.

THANK YOU VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY MUCH BIRDFORUM!!!!!!

Very Best Wishes

A very excited Penny XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Last edited by Penny Clarke : Monday 9th August 2010 at 20:04.
Old Monday 9th August 2010, 22:14   #9467
Richard Abr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Clarke View Post
Ok Jim you're right!!!!!!!

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=178065

Birdforum - Carl Zeiss UK 'Win a Wildlife Walk and Lunch with Simon King!' competition

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Almost speechless!!!!! Well not quite. How incredibly exciting, thank you soooooooo much BIRDFORUM. WOW!!!!!!

Just read the email from Carl Zeiss - quote ".....you will have an unforgettable experience with "the best in the business......"

I think that goes without saying!!!!!!!

Looking forward to meeting BF members Terry and Jim.

THANK YOU VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY MUCH BIRDFORUM!!!!!!

Very Best Wishes

A very excited Penny XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Penny
Just saw the fantastic news on your blog. So pleased for you. After the ups and downs you've had this year you really deserve it. I trust you will give us all a detailed account of your time with Simon in your usual inimitable style.
Trust you will savour the experience. I'm sure a lot of people will envy you this opportunity.
Best wishes,
Richard
Old Tuesday 10th August 2010, 08:21   #9468
Paul Eele

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_lewis View Post
Wow,
Cheers for posting the Pics Paul, good to get an idea of whats going on there. As you say looks like they have made a quick change to the site. Hope it all goes well and works to plan. Are there still birds using the site? I imagine the majority of works is being done by diggers etc so 'real' human disturbance may be lower than expected...or am I wrong?
See you soon hopefully,
Hi Ben

With a 30 ton digger and 2 bomb disposal experts wandering around on the freshmarsh there is not very much around apart from a few shelduck and lapwing. This year will be a bit of a 'write off' for waders but the habitat is looking cracking so I am sure we will see you here for the big one next autumn!

Will be good to see you back in Norfolk

Paul
Old Tuesday 10th August 2010, 21:46   #9469
black kite 1964
Registered Member

magic seaweed indicates north winds on friday perhaps with a hint of east, plus heavy rain. Could be interesting! Usual suspects at sherringham and cley friday morning!
Old Tuesday 10th August 2010, 22:25   #9470
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Abr View Post
Penny
Just saw the fantastic news on your blog. So pleased for you. After the ups and downs you've had this year you really deserve it. I trust you will give us all a detailed account of your time with Simon in your usual inimitable style.
Trust you will savour the experience. I'm sure a lot of people will envy you this opportunity.
Best wishes,
Richard
Thank you Richard!

Will of course be writing a very detailed account!!!

Best Wishes Penny
Old Wednesday 11th August 2010, 07:17   #9471
firstreesjohn

Parthenogenesis in Spoonbills ?

"At no time since the early 1700s has more than one spoonbill bred in the UK" - from the recent Natural England (does it sound like a deodorant to you?) press release, announcing this most welcome news.

This is really interesting. Even with my limited knowledge of biology, I would hazard a firm guess that it takes two Spoonbills to tango, as it were.

However, I do like their description of Holkham as "the emerald marshes" and might start to use it myself.

This is far better than the rebranding of The Broads as Britain's "Magical Waterland" (pace Graham Swift), with its disastrous resonances of Kevin Costner.

I would also imagine they will need much increased security at the site next year, now that this is in the public domain.
Old Wednesday 11th August 2010, 20:07   #9472
Tideliner

Two honey buzards were showing well at Swanton Novers this afternoon. One pale male displaying for over 30 mins. This is the first sighting for 10 days from the woods. They seem to be quietly living within the forest and only showing when disturbed. Today it was when a contractor was cutting a path and the last sighting a couple of weeks ago was when I was doing a butterfly survey. So the birds are still present , but be prepared for a wait before you see them.
Old Wednesday 11th August 2010, 20:25   #9473
ben_lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Eele View Post
Hi Ben

With a 30 ton digger and 2 bomb disposal experts wandering around on the freshmarsh there is not very much around apart from a few shelduck and lapwing. This year will be a bit of a 'write off' for waders but the habitat is looking cracking so I am sure we will see you here for the big one next autumn!

Will be good to see you back in Norfolk

Paul
Fair point Paul, just wondering since birds don't seem to mind machinery as much as they do humans. Ah well Should be good for next year as you say.
I'm sure I'll see you before next Autumn. I'm looking forward to getting out to the East coast this Autumn, beats Kent hands down!
Old Thursday 12th August 2010, 09:30   #9474
firstreesjohn

Spotted at Felbrigg

During the fruitless search for the 'probable Southern Migrant Hawker' yesterday afternoon.

The shots were taken across the Lake and, in my opinion, do not eliminate Brown Flycatcher (!).

Simon had a patch tick, in the shape of Marsh Harrier- some compensation for the time spent.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	003psesm.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	277533  Click image for larger version

Name:	006psesm.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	277534  
Old Thursday 12th August 2010, 13:29   #9475
Penny Clarke

Masked Booby!!!!?????

RBA: Norfolk possible Masked Booby imm flew SE past Mundesley at 6.50am then flew SE past Sea Palling.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: