Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1534 votes, 4.98 average.
Old Saturday 4th September 2010, 23:25   #9626
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstreesjohn View Post
Gramboro’ yieded little, save for a splash of autumn colour (LH photo).

Friary Hills gave a Meerkat lookalike. It ran past, looked back at me in surprise, didn’t like what it saw- and vanished under some brambles. I would not give up that easily ! Squeaking like Sweep on speed, I enticed it out a few times, enabling the two shots.

A long pilgrimage westwards resulted in the Holme Redneck. Such a lovely, delicate spinner. Flight views of Barred Warbler were again obtained. This is becoming a pattern. The Redback was better behaved.
Blimey you were a long way westwards! Saw the same birds in the morning John. Nice Pics!

Best Wishes Penny
Old Saturday 4th September 2010, 23:25   #9627
Penny Clarke

Holme and Scolt Head Island!!!

Got up at 4.15am! As I drove along the A149 coast road, it was difficult to see at times as the early morning mist was very thick in places - stunning sunrise this morning!

Arrived Holme 6.20am - parked car by Redwell Marsh Hide - I was the first person in the hide this morning and had awesome views of the Red necked Phalarope at 6.30am whirling round in the water with the mist hanging heavily over the water and the sun streaming through! It was rubbish for photography though, looking straight into the sun. Two Yellow wagtails flew over.

Reparked car at the toilet block at 7.40am and walked the outer dune ridge east from the main beach gap, to Gore Point, back over the dunes, then along the path behind houses through the village carpark to car. Had a massive argument with an arrogant, rude, lady dog owner with two out of control, vicious black labradors! Didn't see very much really apart from a Stonechat and Whinchat, but at 9am had awesome views of 2 Turtle doves over my head that had flown in off sea, opposite NWT pay hut.

Moved car to carpark half way down the Firs Road and walked the NWT Forestry at 10am. A garden warbler was seen along with my third Turtle Dove this morning at 10.40am which exploded out of a bush and went south. 19 curlew flew overhead. Text from Connor to say RBS and BW were both showing between the Forestry and the Firs House - walked across to where people were standing and at 10.55 I watched a Red backed Shrike and a Barred Warbler together in one bush!!!!! along with a good number of other birders! Didn't even get as far as the Firs and Observatory today!

Left Holme and visited parents for a very short time and then drove along the coast road east and after a boat crossing arrived on Scolt Head Island at 2.20pm with Connor, Simeon and Billy to find a Mega!!!! It was wonderful being back on this island as not been here for at least a year. Birds seen: 16 Turnstones, 4 linnets, little egret, marsh harrier, 14 Cormorants, 6 wheatears, 1 *whinchat and (*not see by me), 2 stonechat, *2 common whitethroats, 4 willow warbler, 2 reed buntings, 1 wren, 1 chiffchaff, 4 grey partridges. It was lovely watching one of the Reed Buntings drinking from the small pond, which is situated in the centre of the island. Ok no megas! but a lovely walk in the sunshine with no bl**dy dogs/owners around!

Back on the mainland! I drove to Holme to photograph the Red necked Phalarope again, but decided first to go to NOA carpark to look at the RBS again. I decided to have a little nap as felt exhausted and ended up having a very long nap, so long, that it was too too late to photograph anything!!!

Best Wishes

Penny

Last edited by Penny Clarke : Sunday 5th September 2010 at 23:12.
Old Sunday 5th September 2010, 17:25   #9628
ben_lewis

Anyone know any more about the singing Savi's at Strumpshaw today? Apparently confidently id'd by sight and sound, seems an odd time of the year though?
2 Ospreys seen today over the Fen as well as the Willow Emeralds (up to 3 today) showing well (access from Tinkers lane only).
Old Sunday 5th September 2010, 18:14   #9629
jimbob

I was hoping you would fill us in Ben! Might be worth a look this evening......
Surlingham Marsh last night produced a Hobby hunting at dusk and at least 3 Chinese Water Deer. It was actually quite noisy on the reserve as the sun went down; squealing Water Rail, at least 3 Cettis, bark of the deer and of course the omnipresent geese. 35 Egyptian Geese were counted over the river, wonder what the record is? 2 Bats were seen hunting in and out of the ruins, Pipistrelle sp. I would guess, perhaps roosting in the ruins themselves.

Winterton Dunes this afternoon was hard work, bashed by ESEs but very few birds to show for it. Female Redstart, 2 Whinchat and 4 Wheatear were the migrants, and locals included a Kestrel, Marsh Harrier and Buzzard. Glad we put the time in, but can't help but feel we were hard done by when you consider what has turned up elsewhere. Tuesday looks really good, bit of rain to ground some birds, which at present are surely just passing through.
Cheers,
Jim.
Old Sunday 5th September 2010, 19:40   #9630
ben_lewis

Sorry to disappoint Jimbob, just got back from the fen with nothing much doing. I must admit I'm thinking it was most probably a Cetti's Warbler, they were singing and showing well tonight, would like to be proved wrong however!
Old Sunday 5th September 2010, 19:43   #9631
jimbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_lewis View Post
Sorry to disappoint Jimbob, just got back from the fen with nothing much doing. I must admit I'm thinking it was most probably a Cetti's Warbler, they were singing and showing well tonight, would like to be proved wrong however!
Cettis were very vocal at Surlingham Church Marsh last night as well, a reminder that they are here to stay I thought!
Jim.
Old Sunday 5th September 2010, 20:02   #9632
Cortonbirds

Did anyone else notice a possible evening fall of migrants today..? Spurred on by pager report of 20+ Redstarts at Holme I dashed out again to my patch at Hopton/Corton on Norfolk border. It had been dead this morning but I walked along the leaside of Hopton railtrack just before dark and noted 2 fresh in Pied Flys and a Spotted Fly. On the cliffs 2 juvenile Willow Warblers fed on the ground only a few feet from me clearly knackered and wanting to feed rather than worry about my presence. A new in Wheatear also was here along with new in Pied Fly and Willow Warbler in very brief search of Corton railtrack as darkness fell....
Old Sunday 5th September 2010, 20:04   #9633
Happisbirder
Always looking, seldom finding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
...Tuesday looks really good, bit of rain to ground some birds, which at present are surely just passing through.
Cheers,
Jim.
I think you're quite right there Jimbob, some rain would probably work wonders.

I did from the Cricket Club to Ostend and back via the Coast Watch around the middle of the day today tallying 9 Wheatears and 2 Whinchat in fields just inland from the clifftop. Prior to this, at Smallburgh, a nice juv. Hobby soared over...

Atb,

James

Me and my BUBO listing; a work in progress!
Old Sunday 5th September 2010, 20:11   #9634
firstreesjohn

Almost a running flush

No, I wasn’t playing cards, when I should’ve been birding. Just as I was approaching the bushes at Gramboro’, I had a kindly ‘phone call (thank u, Julian), informing me of an Arctic Skua on one of the small pools, west of the Salthouse beach car park.

Deciding to ‘bush’ first (nothing), I made my way back west, only to be overtaken by a serious runner. Being able to see where the bird was, although not able to see the bird itself, I assumed that he would flush it before I reached there. He went straight past it, without effect- as can be seen from my pix. The bird seemed not in the best of health, but went off east a little while later.

The LH is with my Lumix FZ38, the RH digiscoped, for comparison. It was almost too close for the latter.

Even further west, at Stiffkey, I managed to glimpse a Redstart, have even worse views of the Barred Warbler (this is now REALLY NOT FUNNY) and better of 2 Whinchats. Long walks in several other locations provided nothing, save for the rather distant RbShrike at Weybourne.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	014psesm.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	258.2 KB
ID:	282247  Click image for larger version

Name:	021psesm.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	282249  
Old Sunday 5th September 2010, 21:46   #9635
Andy Musgrove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gibson View Post
As a county lister in Yorkshire, I am interested in who is in the top ten with their Norfolk list and how many is it.
In Yorkshire we have agreed a list along the BBRC and BOU guide lines, has that been done in Norfolk.
Hi Andrew

See www.bubo.org for all your county listing needs. Actually, this is by no means complete for Norfolk or Yorkshire, but more people are joining all the time and we'd love to have more folk on board, especially any organised groups.

Currently, the top BOU county life lists on BUBO for these two counties are 385 in Norfolk, and 367 in Yorkshire. Any challengers?

Andy
Old Sunday 5th September 2010, 22:07   #9636
Songkhran

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstreesjohn View Post
No, I wasn’t playing cards, when I should’ve been birding. Just as I was approaching the bushes at Gramboro’, I had a kindly ‘phone call (thank u, Julian), informing me of an Arctic Skua on one of the small pools, west of the Salthouse beach car park.

Deciding to ‘bush’ first (nothing), I made my way back west, only to be overtaken by a serious runner. Being able to see where the bird was, although not able to see the bird itself, I assumed that he would flush it before I reached there. He went straight past it, without effect- as can be seen from my pix. The bird seemed not in the best of health, but went off east a little while later.

The LH is with my Lumix FZ38, the RH digiscoped, for comparison. It was almost too close for the latter.

Even further west, at Stiffkey, I managed to glimpse a Redstart, have even worse views of the Barred Warbler (this is now REALLY NOT FUNNY) and better of 2 Whinchats. Long walks in several other locations provided nothing, save for the rather distant RbShrike at Weybourne.
Jon what are you trying to do to me! what do people think of this Skua, especially taking into account this discussion http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.ph...17&postcount=8
Name:  Skua.JPG
Views: 936
Size:  5.0 KB

pale tips to the primaries are meant to be diagnostic of Arctic but the Draycote bird was eventually called as a LTS by the experts. This bird looks very pale/cold tones, the head/ nape does not seem to be particularly streaked, dark breast band, however only tip of bill is dark, it seems to have barred undertail coverts!

any thoughts - Jon in flight? or are we all Skuaed out
Old Monday 6th September 2010, 06:23   #9637
firstreesjohn

Skewered ?

It certainly behaved as if it had been.

See http://www.birdingworld.co.uk/Cley%202010.1.htm from 5 Sept.

(The bird is in flight.)

P.S. Nearly suffered a coronary just now, as I saw these photos, seemingly from East Hills, http://punkbirder.webs.com/latestsightings.htm, having quickly scrolled down past the context-maker of the pressure chart map !

Last edited by firstreesjohn : Monday 6th September 2010 at 06:39.
Old Monday 6th September 2010, 08:37   #9638
Songkhran

what a cool bird, its a LTS on the deck but when it takes off it turns into an Arctic ; - ), could potentially be the same bird as last week which would explain alot, also casts new light on the Draycote bird.

a little action on the patch, 3 Wheatear and 2 Willow Warblers along Blakeney Bank, then Garden Warbler and Redstart on Friary, we have had one or two Pied Flys and Redstarts trickling in for a few days now - have a feeling if your out today you could do a whole lot better.
Old Monday 6th September 2010, 17:22   #9639
black kite 1964
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakeney Resident View Post
what a cool bird, its a LTS on the deck but when it takes off it turns into an Arctic ; - ), could potentially be the same bird as last week which would explain alot, also casts new light on the Draycote bird.

a little action on the patch, 3 Wheatear and 2 Willow Warblers along Blakeney Bank, then Garden Warbler and Redstart on Friary, we have had one or two Pied Flys and Redstarts trickling in for a few days now - have a feeling if your out today you could do a whole lot better.
Josh. You shold be walking the point. I expect there will be some goodies (not Tim Brook Taylor!!) to be found.

Regards

Mark
Old Monday 6th September 2010, 18:48   #9640
firstreesjohn

Seeing red*

Gramboro’*
Sarbury Hill
Walsey Hills
Stiffkey
Warham Greens
Wells Woods*

That was all in the above (Redstarts*).

Then, just as I was in the final 5 miles before home, I had to veer to Kelling, for the flighty ORTOLAN BUNTING, badly pictured here below, but with thanks to Andy's shoulder.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	027psesm.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	282386  

Last edited by firstreesjohn : Tuesday 7th September 2010 at 05:42.
Old Monday 6th September 2010, 22:48   #9641
Penny Clarke

Holme - Evening

I ensured I left work exactly on time this evening!

Flew home and then had a serious panic attack when I could not find my iphone anywhere in the car and I know I put it in there, as I had been checking the RBA website on it (given up pager) as I was walking out of work - after rummaging under car seats and every possible nook and cranny, I then seriously started to worry, must have dropped it before I got in the car, flew back to work and searched along the grassy areas etc etc - no sign anywhere, exasperated now as was desperate to get out in the field Flew into the hospital, phoned my mother and asked her to ring my mobile, just to see if it was in the car, flew back to car and to my huge relief I could hear it ringing.... it had somehow mysteriously jumped into the middle of my road atlas!!!!! Back home for second time, changed, grabbed bins, camera etc and as I walked outside a neighbour had blocked me in!!! for GOODNESS SAKE!!!!! Ran to their door and knocked loudly and quickly! Seriously irritates me when someone blocks me in!

Eventually I arrived at Holme around 6.20pm. Another birder said he had brief views of the Arctic warbler approx half an hour before both Connor and I got there. Connor and I searched hard for that bird and saw what could have been it, dive into a bush and you know when you get all excited, and then it all goes to pot when the bird magically disappears! Saw a pied fly briefly in the large pine along the main bank. Connor managed to see a male redstart (I only glimpsed tail end of it!) and we heard another one round the back of the observatory. A Tawny owl flew into the pines. Strong winds and on route home the rain came down and now at 10.45 is lashing down in King's Lynn

OMG - just noticed my interview has been added to Day 2 Round up on the birdfair.tv website!!!!!!
See my blog. Rather annoying though, I DEFINATELY plugged birdforum twice in that interview and they have edited it all out! They have edited most of it out, probably cos I sounded rubbish! They say you look 10 lbs heavier on film and my god they are so right!!! Must lose weight for next year!

Last edited by Penny Clarke : Tuesday 7th September 2010 at 00:15.
Old Tuesday 7th September 2010, 09:00   #9642
Songkhran

Quote:
Originally Posted by black kite 1964 View Post
Josh. You shold be walking the point. I expect there will be some goodies (not Tim Brook Taylor!!) to be found.

Regards

Mark
Mark you should be walking around Bedfordshire plenty of RB Shrikes to be found there, anyway you don't even live in Norfolk

a good morning but no noticeable arrival - all along Blakeney Bank - Redstart in Suaeda, 2 Whinchat, Wheatear, 2+ Willow Warbler, 12 Bearded Tits drinking from first pool

Best of all was a raptor spectacle just out in the Harbour, 1 Hobby was having a go at a Snipe, was then joined by another, i then heard a woosh as something flew past to my right next thing i know two Hobbies had scattered and a big female Peregrine was hovering over where the Snipe had gone down.

Last edited by Songkhran : Tuesday 7th September 2010 at 10:33.
Old Tuesday 7th September 2010, 11:43   #9643
Andrew Gibson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Musgrove View Post
Hi Andrew

See www.bubo.org for all your county listing needs. Actually, this is by no means complete for Norfolk or Yorkshire, but more people are joining all the time and we'd love to have more folk on board, especially any organised groups.

Currently, the top BOU county life lists on BUBO for these two counties are 385 in Norfolk, and 367 in Yorkshire. Any challengers?

Andy
Thanks for the pointer, the Yorkshire list is currently 392 whith myself and Dave Hirstouse sharing that tally.
Old Tuesday 7th September 2010, 13:43   #9644
Boy Wonder
Warden - RSPB Lincolnshire Wash Reserves

In the area and went for a wander along the coast at Holme. Started at the car park near the golf course? and headed along the path that runs along the line of scrub eastwards that looks down on the marsh (does that make an sense?). Saw the most amount of Lesser Whitethroats I have ever seen in a day. Must have seen over a hundred in a mile-ish stretch. Slightly less numbers of Whitethroat but just the most incredible sight as there was a migrant in every bush. Blackcap and Chiffchaff numbers picked up later in the morning and at least a dozen Willow Warblers were also seen. The wander also produced 4 Spotted Flycatcher, 2 Pied Flycatcher, 2 Redstarts, 4 Great Spotted Woodpeckers (or 1 that followed me) and a Garden Warbler. At least 4 parties of 15+ Snipe were passed overhead. Amazing couple of hours.
Old Tuesday 7th September 2010, 18:52   #9645
Penny Clarke

Watched the Red necked Phalarope until 6.30pm from Redwell Hide. There is now a terrific thunderstorm!!!! Sitting waiting for birds to drop in!!!

It rained so hard, I didn't venture out of the car, sat waiting for it to stop and when it finally did it was almost dark!

Arrived home 8.45pm.

Best Wishes Penny

Last edited by Penny Clarke : Tuesday 7th September 2010 at 22:10.
Old Tuesday 7th September 2010, 19:41   #9646
Paul Eele

With the promise of good fall conditions I had a wander around the 'good Thornham garden' this morning but was quiet. 2 spotted flys, 5 blackcap and 10 chiffs were the highlights. Pied fly in the Titchwell carpark at lunchtime.
The winds turned northerly this afternoon and surprise of the day was a fieldfare over my garden near Fakenham this evening. It looked like it dropped into one of the local gardens to roost!
Old Tuesday 7th September 2010, 20:58   #9647
guernsey_dave
Registered User... registered user sounds like some kind of heroin addict

Quote:

Best of all was a raptor spectacle just out in the Harbour, 1 Hobby was having a go at a Snipe, was then joined by another, i then heard a woosh as something flew past to my right next thing i know two Hobbies had scattered and a big female Peregrine was hovering over where the Snipe had gone down.
Maybe the same two hobbies I had over Warham greens yesterday and today (can see blakeney from there). Yesterday watched one chasing a common sandpiper right along the beach and then through the trees. Later I flushed, presumebly the same hobby from further along because as it flew off it dropped the remains of a common sand right infront of me. Today saw presumebly same two again, this time one dropped a reed warbler (minus flight feathers from both wings?).
Old Tuesday 7th September 2010, 22:35   #9648
black kite 1964
Registered Member

Quote:
Mark you should be walking around Bedfordshire plenty of RB Shrikes to be found there, anyway you don't even live in Norfolk

a good morning but no noticeable arrival - all along Blakeney Bank - Redstart in Suaeda, 2 Whinchat, Wheatear, 2+ Willow Warbler, 12 Bearded Tits drinking from first pool

Josh. I suspect i have spent more time in the field in norfolk in recent weeks than yourself. Indeed after yjour recent 2am antics a little less drink would be advised. As for beds, more birders than birds! Currently at spurn in search of rares! Regards. Mark

Last edited by black kite 1964 : Tuesday 7th September 2010 at 22:38.
Old Tuesday 7th September 2010, 22:43   #9649
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy Wonder View Post
In the area and went for a wander along the coast at Holme. Started at the car park near the golf course? and headed along the path that runs along the line of scrub eastwards that looks down on the marsh (does that make an sense?).......
Hi there!

Yes that does make sense to us locals! Nice to meet your earlier - re: our conversation see http://www.noa.org.uk/ and http://www.norfolkwildlifetrust.org....lme-Dunes.aspx

Glad you enjoyed your time at Holme

Best Wishes Penny
Old Wednesday 8th September 2010, 16:05   #9650
sacha

Cool Blakeney Point

Nice selection of migrants but not the hoped for mega (yet!):
Tree Pipit, Whinchat, Wheatear 6+, Swallow 60+, Sand Martin, Greenshank x5, Whimbrel 5+, Common Sand 2, Arctic tern and skua past, Lapland Bunt (1 over), Spot fly, Song Thrush, Garden Warbler, Willow Warbler and Chiffchaff

Mainly one of each!

Raptors again putting on a good show at the moment. Watched a Merlin 'playing' with a mipit. It chased it into the air.. the pipit tried to climb higher and higher .. presumbly it knew it was err 'in trouble'... the Merlin just circled it until it chose to finish it off. It hit it leaving a cloud of feathers!

Also Peregrine, Hobby (near Cley) and male Marsh Harrier

4 Little Stint from N hide were the only birds of note there.

Surely something good will be found this week in Norfolk .. the winds look good
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: