• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (6 Viewers)

Hi Bilvo, do you mind to share the location of where did you saw them today?

Thanks

Not at all! It was yesterday morning, however they were reported in the same spot again this morning on Birdguides. I saw them from the pedestrian bridge on St Georges Street in Norwich, looking North towards the Playhouse. There are some large trees running along the riverbank to the west as you look North (and either side of the bridge) and the birds were high up in these. The flock was very spreadout feeding amongst the trees when I arrived (no trilling at all), some of the birds were drinking from the guttering on nearby buildings. After a short while they gathered together in one tree, called loudly for a while before flying off!

The attached picture shows the bridge and trees you should be looking for.

Hope it helps and good luck!

Attachments

• St Georges St Bridge.jpg
    St Georges St Bridge.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 73
Not at all! It was yesterday morning, however they were reported in the same spot again this morning on Birdguides. I saw them from the pedestrian bridge on St Georges Street in Norwich, looking North towards the Playhouse. There are some large trees running along the riverbank to the west as you look North (and either side of the bridge) and the birds were high up in these. The flock was very spreadout feeding amongst the trees when I arrived (no trilling at all), some of the birds were drinking from the guttering on nearby buildings. After a short while they gathered together in one tree, called loudly for a while before flying off!

The attached picture shows the bridge and trees you should be looking for.

Hope it helps and good luck!

Thanks for that Bilvo, I was told the same location but never visited over last weekend :( but will try again later in the week.

If you would like a better view of Purple Sandpipers, go to Sea Palling! Upwards of 7 birds present. The attached photo was taken on the 24th March.

Agreed! Superb views of these great birds.
My contribution, taken in a blizzard, attached.

Attachments

• purple sand 1.jpg
    purple sand 1.jpg
    432.9 KB · Views: 75
  • purple sand 3.jpg
    purple sand 3.jpg
    484.8 KB · Views: 62
Some lovely pictures of Great Grey Shrike, Purple Sandpipers etc and 'Spring' pictures posted this evening:t: Re: Wagtail roost – there used to be one in the QEH and was incredible to watch and listen to, but not seen it there for a few years now.

Penny:girl:

If anyone is interested, the Pied Wagtail roost in Norwich at Riverside Road/Prince of Wales road junction was very impressive on Saturday night at 18:20 GMT; I lost cout at around 150 with birds decending in to what I think is a large Laburnum shrub (I could be wrong!!).

Birds were coming in off the roof from the Hotel Nelson and from the train station, in fact from any roof top in the vacinity!! Fascinating to watch as they jostled for postions and the volume was incredible! I was also plesently surprised by the number of the public who stopped to watch the activity!

Ten minutes later it was all over with not a sound coming out of the bush.

The Pied Wagtails have been there at least 3weeks

There might not be many migrants about at the moment but it was marvellous to watch the antics of up to six Marsh Harriers in the air at the same time at Strumpshaw on Sunday.

Ron

Attachments

• Displaying harriers 1.jpg
    Displaying harriers 1.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 109
  • Displaying harriers 2.jpg
    Displaying harriers 2.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 96
  • Displaying harriers 3.jpg
    Displaying harriers 3.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
John..in your photo, the kite seems to be missing part of its right fork - is that correct? If so, I had the same bird this morning.

Sorry, Steve: completely forgot about this. Reminded when looking at batty photos from darn sarth.

Couldn’t really say, having had no time to look at the bird: by the time I’d pulled off the road, disentangled myself from my seat belt, emerged from the car, found and switched on the camera, run between the trees to find a clear view of the sky, taken a shot, found camera to be on wrong setting and changed setting, the bird had disappeared.

A day of not seeing what I was looking for: summigrants.

I arrived at Salthouse Beach car park, to find Sh-- (you know who) ensconsed, en voiture. Was informed that the Snow Bunting had been with the Turnstones, but had flown, and that there’d been a Wheatear within 50m. This was no longer the case.

As I walked to my car, to begin the arduous & lengthy yomp out to Gramboro’, something with a hue close to that of a well-known brand of Cornish clotted cream beat its way E, into the howling gale. Yelling ‘Glork, etc.’, to let the two close birders know, I ran up the shingle bank, my bare hands immediately freezing into hypothermic claws, as the wind-chill had its effect.

Despite several searches later, I was able to locate neither the Wheatear, nor the White Wagtail, which had been seen by the Duckpond.

Reliable information reached me that a fully-tailed male Stonechat had been seen at Gramboro’ yesterday.

A lone hoverfly sunned itself at Holt Country Park, as Siskins sang overhead.

Attachments

• 014pse.jpg
    014pse.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 54
Going Home?

Whilst travelling to Strumpshaw today, on the A47 near Blofield, in a ploughed field. There were 300 ish Fieldfares, plus at least 5 Mistle Thrushes amongst them.
Was this the last worm stop before flying home, we have had 3 mostly sunny days in a row?
I would appreciate your thoughts.

Apprently none present today. Lots of kids on the rocks infront of the concrete dune protection...could be why!

They were all on one of the offshore boulder protection island things when the tide was up. Sheltering on the inland side. They were on the one opposite the main sea palling slipway. Not by the gulls further north.

Whilst travelling to Strumpshaw today, on the A47 near Blofield, in a ploughed field. There were 300 ish Fieldfares, plus at least 5 Mistle Thrushes amongst them.
Was this the last worm stop before flying home, we have had 3 mostly sunny days in a row?

Hi Paul,
It does appear to be a feature in Norfolk.. I see big numbers in Oct/Nov .. And then again in April when they migrate back... With only small (ish) numbers in between. I think you are probably right that it is a 'last feed' before crossing back over the N Sea. presumably in better conditions than the present N Winds!
Sacha

There were pretty large numbers of both Fieldfare and Redwing flying through Strumpshaw yesterday- they seemed to be following the railway line towards Yarmouth, I must have seen a combined total of 700 while at the pumphouse track in half an hr. They did this a couple of weeks ago too, but I then saw them piling back through West after another cold spell!!

Glaucous, Edgefield

Hey y'all,

Was pleased to find a juvenile Glaucous in fields opposite Edgefield tip this morning -en route to work- and equally disappointed to see my report read 'again'.

Hadn't seen this bird reported on the 2nd, per RBA. Self find by news avoidance?, possibly ;)

Kieran

Hey y'all,

Was pleased to find a juvenile Glaucous in fields opposite Edgefield tip this morning -en route to work- and equally disappointed to see my report read 'again'.

Hadn't seen this bird reported on the 2nd, per RBA. Self find by news avoidance?, possibly ;)

Kieran

Hi Kieran.

If you had no awareness of the birds presence then you can most certainly claim it as self-found and tick it on your find list if you keep one and do not have Glaucous Gull on it already. It does take the edge off your find if you then discover subsequently that you are not the first person to observe it - I had a similar situation with a supressed Pec Sand many years ago - but just remember that initial feeling of pleasure and reward you felt at the time and that it was your own initiative that got you the bird.

Steve.

Last edited:
Titchwell April 4th

Today’s highlights

Long tailed duck – female on fresh marsh
Red crested pochard – female on Patsy’s reedbed
Ruff – 30 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank – 1 on Volunteer marsh
Woodcock – 1 in scrub near visitor centre

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back