• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (4 Viewers)

Phew......... got back from Wales last night after an exhausting few days so overslept and missed all my messages, when I finally got 'em I sped to Ogi and managed 30 seconds viewing before the PHeron spiraled away north! Officially a jammy B***er apparently!

When did the Nightingale leave, anyone know?

ATB

Steph'

Phew......... got back from Wales last night after an exhausting few days so overslept and missed all my messages, when I finally got 'em I sped to Ogi and managed 30 seconds viewing before the PHeron spiraled away north! Officially a jammy B***er apparently!

When did the Nightingale leave, anyone know?

ATB

Steph'

Mmmmm sounds like it was you who flushed it then Steph! Good to see Derbys still pulling in the megas!

Rob

Mmmmm sounds like it was you who flushed it then Steph! Good to see Derbys still pulling in the megas!

Rob

Oh HAHA:-O Long time no see Rob.... how is it out there in the Far East?

Interestingly there were apparently a few "names" who were absent... in Lincolnshire it appears;)

Been good though, 2 Derbys ticks in a couple of weeks is not bad at all!

ATB

Steph'

Oh HAHA:-O Long time no see Rob.... how is it out there in the Far East?

Interestingly there were apparently a few "names" who were absent... in Lincolnshire it appears;)

Been good though, 2 Derbys ticks in a couple of weeks is not bad at all!

ATB

Steph'

I'm in Derby ready twitch all those Derbyshire mega's this spring... Purple Heron not quite exciting enough though! Second tick? Guess the other must be Nightingale then?

Rob

I'm in Derby ready twitch all those Derbyshire mega's this spring... Purple Heron not quite exciting enough though! Second tick? Guess the other must be Nightingale then?

Rob

Not exciting enough...... 1st record that was twitchable for the county...Oh Dear spoilt aren't we:-O:-O

Yes Nightingale was the other tick.... cannot fathom why I didn't get the Drakelow one 10 years or so ago, Richard J etc did.

Might get to see you then if you are over here at the next Derbys mega;)

ATB

Steph'

Adult Great Northern Diver showing really well from Stones Island this morning. Not a lot after that apart from Grey Heron, 2 Teal, 4 LRP's, Common Sand and 2 Common Terns. I got into the wildlife centre to be told that there had been a Sanderling on the Dam Wall. I didn't think it would still be there but luckily I hadn't walked far and caught up with it.

Attachments

• SNV35840.jpg
    SNV35840.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 56
Some people do not seem to be able to wait for the Nightingale to show ! Keep Out please, why this birds whereabouts were broadcast is a mystery to me.

Some people do not seem to be able to wait for the Nightingale to show ! Keep Out please, why this birds whereabouts were broadcast is a mystery to me.

I assume you have witnessed poor fieldcraft from visiting birders then?

Did you tell those responsible at the time?

Not sure why you are directing your comments to people on here. As this bird is not on breeding territory, and bearing in mind the last one was over 10 years ago so is unlikely to attract a mate, there is no reason why birders cannot be alerted to its presence and listen/view from a distance.

Unless you found it, how did you know it was there......?? and if you did find it (ie. if this is Neil) then congratulations.

I had assumed this bird had gone.... If you witnessed bad behaviour I hope you said something... there is just no need/excuse to leave the lane onto private land at all, you could see/hear it well from by the gate. I see no problem here in releasing the news, as it can be seen/heard from the public highway with no disturbance.

Yes the bird is singing but as Dan said you need 2 to breed and the likelihood of that happening in Derbys is so remote I cannot even imagine it! Like to be proved wrong though.... I'm surprised its still there if it is, I assumed like most other people it was a migrant passing through... mind you a few stray males have taken up temporary territories around this area of the Midlands on and off, like the Kings Mill bird of a few years ago which was also widely twitched.

The time I was there was probably the most populated it got being the first day and everyone was on best behaviour, despite stress levels being quite high in some quarters!

ATB

Steph'

Unidentified Bird Of Prey

Was hoping to have got this posted earlier, but had to get my daughter from school and then to ballet.

My dad rung me saying that he had seen a bird of prey in town (derby)

This is the description
"Bird of prey,. Very large, would dwarf Osprey. Very pale head, very broad wing base and saddle, and long winged. Colour very dark, blackish in strong light. Wing beats slow, deep, deliberate and powerful. Tail, fanned and broad at the base. Length approx 1/4 of saddle length. Colour was paleish. I was drawn to head to back contrast. Light, bright, contrasty. Seen against white cloud. Flying up direction of river derwent over silk mill museum at approx 14:00 and observed for 4-5 minutes."

I assume you have witnessed poor fieldcraft from visiting birders then?

Did you tell those responsible at the time?

Not sure why you are directing your comments to people on here. As this bird is not on breeding territory, and bearing in mind the last one was over 10 years ago so is unlikely to attract a mate, there is no reason why birders cannot be alerted to its presence and listen/view from a distance.

Unless you found it, how did you know it was there......?? and if you did find it (ie. if this is Neil) then congratulations.

This is my local patch i live in walking distance you are right no bird will never attract a mate with idiots bashing round the bushes it may not have read the same books as you and is not the only species not to have done so. You don't have to go far to find them either. 2 years ago i found Turtle Doves thought they would pass thru but no they stayed and bred 2 pair last year you are right i did not find this bird but saw some idiots searching for it on private land and told them exactly where to go and how to get there .Unfortunately when passing at other times and seeing empty cars i was working and unable to stop. So don't tell me whats likely or unlikely because you don't know.I was told DOS stood for daft or stupid now i know its true.

This is my local patch i live in walking distance you are right no bird will never attract a mate with idiots bashing round the bushes it may not have read the same books as you and is not the only species not to have done so. You don't have to go far to find them either. 2 years ago i found Turtle Doves thought they would pass thru but no they stayed and bred 2 pair last year you are right i did not find this bird but saw some idiots searching for it on private land and told them exactly where to go and how to get there .Unfortunately when passing at other times and seeing empty cars i was working and unable to stop. So don't tell me whats likely or unlikely because you don't know.I was told DOS stood for daft or stupid now i know its true.

I stand by my comments that this bird IS UNLIKELY to attract I mate - I am not telling you what will or wont happen as nobody can. But this is probabilities at play.
The nearest population of Nightingales are some distance and certainly would not be audible form Ambaston!

You are obviously not a DOS fan (fair enough, some arent and they do have their moments) and maybe, just maybe you would have picked this up on your own..............but someone put the news out for a bird of local interest and you will have enjoyed it as much as everyone else.

All will agree with you that any who are selfish enough to trespass or cause the bird distress should be excluded from any bird, but nobody can police it when news is out - see the whole twitching/photographers/suppression issue thats all over this site.

And I assume your 2 records of Turtle Dove have been submitted - this is an extremely rare breeding bird in Derbyshire, with some years recently having no succesful breeding at all.

And I assume your 2 records of Turtle Dove have been submitted - this is an extremely rare breeding bird in Derbyshire, with some years recently having no succesful breeding at all.[/QUOTE]

I cannot submit records of Turtle dove without giving away the location so no i have told only the people i trust . Another Nightingale has been reported in Sth Derbyshire it is as likely a female could appear as 2 males any bird going over could be attracted to either site i always prefer to have an open mind about such things so anything could happen if these birds were given a little peace.

And I assume your 2 records of Turtle Dove have been submitted - this is an extremely rare breeding bird in Derbyshire, with some years recently having no succesful breeding at all.

I cannot submit records of Turtle dove without giving away the location so no i have told only the people i trust . Another Nightingale has been reported in Sth Derbyshire it is as likely a female could appear as 2 males any bird going over could be attracted to either site i always prefer to have an open mind about such things so anything could happen if these birds were given a little peace.[/QUOTE]

You dont need to give the location away - just submit the records with "South Derbys" as location, as every single one counts for this species in Derbyshire (assuming you actually saw the young birds etc?).

Don't take this the wrong way but don't level your anger at those on here.... level it at those who are doing wrong! Although I understand it, I think I can safely say not one of those I know who post on here would dream of trespassing etc! And that goes for most of those I know in the DOS too! I cannot vouch for everyone though!

There are a whole lot of very good, dedicated Birders in the DOS, how do you know those you report trespassing even come from Derbyshire, as I said before almost all the people there on the first day were DOS members and all perfectly behaved (I'm the first to acknowledge that there are "bad eggs" in Birding but don't lump us all into the same boat please).

As to the bird attracting a mate..... even if left to itself I still feel it would very, very unlikely (even if as you say we can never know for sure). Although you must retain hope that a passing female would hear him, sadly given the number of previous records and statistics it is unlikely, unless there is to be a dramatic change in fortune for the species in the county. Nightingale is retracting/changing its range, the State of UK Birds (1999), published by the B.T.O., states that: “Increases in the eastern counties of England and declines in the west suggest that its range has contracted considerably, but that overall numbers have not changed greatly in the last 20 years - thus calming fears that it was declining steeply. There appears to have been a shift in habitat from coppiced woodlands to scrub in river valleys and other lowland areas” but round here it is now completely absent from areas that were regular breeding sites when I started birding. But is strong in Linc's etc.... where you can walk paths at at least one place along with the tourists and the birds just sit and sing in the bushes next to the path despite the pushchairs etc.
This spring seems to have been an interesting one for overshooting migrants of a few species, it will be interesting to see what if anything resolves itself at the end of the breeding season. A second bird has been reported from the old Willington Power Station compound/reserve.... It is possible these birds are expanding but at the moment given the lack of birds to our immediate east and south I think its just a one off event, if indeed it is an event.... incidentally they are still on the move as a bird is singing up in Cleveland this am.

I can use though one illustration to indicate out of "normal area" birds even in excellent habitat within the core range (birds in woodland a few miles away) don't always attract mates, a bird sang next to a main road near a friends for a few weeks.... but moved on as there was no mate in the offing..... my friends work for the local trust etc so were keeping a very good eye on the site, sadly he didn't return again to the location. Maybe a young bird on its first go round perhaps?

As to the Turtle Doves, excellent records/news, please, please get over your prejudices and submit to the breeding bird recorder you could give brief detail or rough area and remain anonymous (4 figure grid ref perhaps?)... Its important scientific data, Turtle Doves are known in South Derbys and unlike Nightingale have been/are regular breeders throughout but again have vanished from many areas in the 30+ years I've been birding and now are very rare here as Dan says, and as in all other areas are suffering from issues that appear to be beyond our control elsewhere.

ATB

Steph'

Last edited:
Funny old day today. It's not often I manage to get out on a Friday as I'm normally sleeping off Thursday nights Strongbow. But I received a call from Davebutterflyman that he had just had a Marsh Harrier at Wyver Lane. I quickly got myself together and went down in the hope that it was still hanging about. Unfortunately it had long gone so I still wait for my first Marsh Harrier for Wyver (and in fact Derbyshire).

We did have a Curlew by the top pool and could hear a Redstart singing. Then Clive suggested we go up to the moors so went up there and had a male Whinchat and heard a Cuckoo. I then received another phone call that there was 2 Red Kites at Ambergate heading south. I phoned Dave who was still at Wyver to keep his eyes peeled and luckily for him he managed to see one. So that was another one I missed.

Dave also heard a Cuckoo calling up near where the Redstarts are. Then he had 2 Sparrowhawks and then a Hobby. Looks like Wyver was the place to be today.

Clive and me then went to Middleton Moor and had 2 LRP's, 7 Curlew, 2 Oycs and 8 Shelduck. The last hour was spent back down Wyver but we couldn't repeat what had already been seen.

Spent a pleasant couple of hours at Oggie yesterday evening as I had it on good authority that the Hobbies were back and showing well.
I had the entire place to myself until a large group turned up being given a guided tour.
The Hobbies took a while to show, but did eventually and were in view for at least 20 mins, one even perching up, as they terrorised the swifts and hirundines (hundreds of them last night).
Several Buzzards, Sprawk and a couple of Ravens over.
The Lapwings had done well with at least 14 young birds poking around in the mud. Other waders inc Curlew, Dunlin and several LRP's.
Loads of warblers around the new hide, inc Sedge, Blackcap, Garden, Whitethroat and Lesser, Reed......and a Greater Pecker on the bird table taking fat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back