• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (3 Viewers)

A quick half hour down Wyver this afternoon produced 2 new birds for the year. a Garden Warbler singing between the hide and the mound. And a Lesser Whitethroat singing from the mound. At least 50 Swallows and 20 House Martins zipping around the main pool. Whinchat again reported by the pull in but I never saw it....again.

Had the last couple of hours at Carsington tonight with Chris Brown. We were hoping that the showers might have dropped something in....but it didn't. The 3 Great Northern Divers all seen from Stones Island, a single Arctic Tern, Dunlin, LRP, Common Sand, 5+ Redshank, 100's of Swallows and 11 Yellow Wagtails.

Bit of confusion over the male Blue-headed Wag at Carsi today. I was convinced it was one as soon as I found it. Somebody else thought it could have been Grey-headed. Eventually they and some others agreed that it was indeed a male Blue-headed. Managed a ropey photo. Also with the BHW was 18 Yellows and another pale headed bird which could have been a female BHW.

Also the 3 Great Northern Divers, 2 1st summer Little Gulls, 4 Dunlin, 8+ Oycs, 6+ Redshanks, 2 LRP, 2 Common Sands, 10+ Swifts, 300+ Hirundines, Sedge, Garden, 2 Lesser Whites among the warblers.

Attachments

• SNV31523.jpg
    SNV31523.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 64
There were still 2 Whinchat at WGP this morning along with a Gropper, Common Sand, a few Yellow Wags and 2 White Wags. A pair of Hobby made an appearance late morning for half an hour.

The Wood Warbler was still down Wyver Lane in the copse on the opposite side of the lane to the brick buildings till 7.40pm at least. It was mostly silent tonight and flicking around high in the canopy over the road.

I managed one sad record shot in the fading awkward light!

Steph'

Attachments

• Wood Warbler 2.jpg
    Wood Warbler 2.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 64
A nice singing male Wood Warbler down Wyver today. I was walking on the lane this morning and as I approached the brick buildings at the southern end of the reserve I heard it sing. I almost didn't realise what it was at first until it sang again.

It then called and sang quite regularly for the next few hours often giving good views too. It was still there when I left at 15.00hrs but it was becoming more elusive and much quieter. I returned about 17.30 tonight to find it still there and eventually singing. Just heard that it was still there at 19.40hrs. Nice to see a few familiar faces down there today.

This is only the third record of Wood Warbler at Wyver with the last being on 1/05/1988.

Good day at Carsington today, Dave and Clive had a better one tho... I'm sure they will be along to tell us all about their Red Kites.

Highlight for me was being able to get a snap of the 2cy Little Gull. Record shot but my first still of one at Carsington!

Low point... well, got to be dipping JB's Wood Warbler despite a lot of searching of Stones!

Steph'

Attachments

• Little Gull 1.jpg
    Little Gull 1.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 59
Good day at Carsington today, Dave and Clive had a better one tho... I'm sure they will be along to tell us all about their Red Kites.

Highlight for me was being able to get a snap of the 2cy Little Gull. Record shot but my first still of one at Carsington!

Low point... well, got to be dipping JB's Wood Warbler despite a lot of searching of Stones!

Steph'

Yes Steph it was an impressive sight, we watched a raptor fly in from over Blackwall plantation, it moved along the dam wall where we realised it was a Red Kite. That would have been nice enough but then we noticed 2 more soaring around above it!

Yes the Red Kites were something else. Pity about the Wood Warbler. It just seemed to have disappeared. Also yesterday was the 3 G.N.Divers, Little Gull, Blackwit, 3 LRP, Common Sand, 4 Curlew, Arctic Tern, Common Tern, White Wagtail and Yellow Wagtail. Plenty of warblers in now including a Reed and at least 2 pairs of Redstarts on site.

WGP last night - 3 Wheatear and at least 4 Yellow Wags. Also 2 LRP, 6 Common Terns. 3 Gropper at dusk, with the one on the causeway showing very well.

This morning Wheatears and Yellow Wags gone, but Cuckoo showing very well later on. While watching a Gropper reeling in one of the fields, a second Gropper came in just below it and both flew to the hedgerow. When I went passed a couple of hours later the two were still together in the hedgerow with just one reeling - hopefully...........

Important E-petition
An e-petition calling for the licensing of upland grouse moors and
gamekeepers has been uploaded to the DirectGov website. It is aimed at
reducing the illegal persecution of birds of prey and is well worthy of
our individual support as it has to gain 100,000 signatures before
February 2014, in order to trigger a debate in parliament.
Please see
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/46473
and then both sign up and encourage as many of your friends as possible to do similarly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back