• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

more from Dalian, China (1 Viewer)

Really going through some old pictures. I had these White-eyes down as Japanese White-eyes originally but have noticed they would be a bit out of range according to most guides for the area here. I clearly remember seeing no chestnut flanks that would indicate Chestnut-sided White-eye (which would be in range) I have seen Chestnut-sided too here. Can someone weigh in on what they think these two pics are?

The last photo I had down as Rough-legged Buzzard (Hawk) Is it?

Thanks again,

Tom

Attachments

• Japanese White-eye 2.jpg
    Japanese White-eye 2.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 100
  • Japanese White-eye 3.jpg
    Japanese White-eye 3.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 96
  • on guard.jpg
    on guard.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 100
Tom,

Not all Chestnut-flanked White-eye show chestnut flanks, these however look good fpr Japanese based on the underpart colour and a hint of yellow lores. Forget the distribution maps, we see them regularly in Hebei.

There isn't anything to my eyes that rules out Eastern Buzzard japonicus though that said the other two species either, likely to be the former.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back