• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wire-less internet....some basic questions. (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
I am on Virgin (cable internet & TV).
If we move to a brand new house and it has e.g. BT phonelines and I want to have wire-less internet.........then

1. Do I have to use BT (or can I go to another internet provider) ?
2. If I go to another provider do I also have to use them for the telephone
service ?
3. If we decide not to have a landline (just using our mobiles) can we get
wireless internet and if so which provide would you recommend ?

I know this might seem simple but we have had cable since conception (many years ago) and have never needed to look into wireless systems.
Thanks.

If we move to a brand new house and it has e.g. BT phonelines and I want to have wire-less internet.........then

service ?

I know this might seem simple but we have had cable since conception (many years ago) and have never needed to look into wireless systems.
Thanks.

1: No, but you can. I pay rent to BT for the land line and use Orange for internet. My sister uses BT for all.

2: No, but you can, I think, and it may depend on the package deal they're offering at the time.

3: As I understand it, wireless has to be provided through a land line - a mobile is already "wireless"!

It is usually cheaper to have a line rental, phone and broadband package off the same company, but as Delia says you can get it from different providers.

If you want to go landline free and have a good 3G mobile signal, you can get a device that is a WiFi hub that connects via 3G. All the phone operators do them here's the info for Orange http://shop.orange.co.uk/mobile-broadband/wifi/Orange Mobile WiFi

But price wise they are more expensive than a landline.

The wireless part of the internet has nothing to do with who your provider is - you need a router that provides the wireless part of the signal. The router itself plugs into the phone socket.

Depending on where you are you may have a choice between BT, what is basically the BT hardware in your local exchange but going to a different provider, or possibly there might be a provider that has its own equipment in your local exchange (that's the only way of getting a faster basic speed). You can find a lot of info about this stuff at www.thinkbroadband.com/, including how to find information about your local exchange as well as various comparisons between providers.

What to look for:
- price
- reliability (outages, etc)
- service (call centre in India? UK-based helplines? Manned when?)
- speed (one could write a dissertation just about this)
- capacity (these days there's often a limit on how much bandwidth you can use without buying extra, if you download a lot of video or are into online gaming this might be an issue for you)

Any choice is some compromise between the above. Some of the cheaper providers have a very bad reputation regarding the other criteria. There have been a lot of take-overs, and quite a few of the original smaller providers are no longer independent. Plusnet has been bought by BT but seems to be kept separate so far and has a good reputation (but I'd worry about BT maintaining the level of service). My old ISP was taken over by TalkTalk at a time when they were expanding like crazy - I found I was suffering a lot of slow speeds for some things, but not others, which indicated to me that they were throttling certain kinds of traffic. I'm now with one of the smaller independent providers, but it's a bit more expensive. On the other hand the service has been excellent, and I've had very few outages (I need broadband in part for professional reasons so I can't really live with long outages). Since switching the speeds I experience are much faster (this provider promises they're not throttling traffic). I tend to think that BT is overpriced and the service isn't very good.

Usually you get discounts if you get broadband, phone and tv from the same provider, but beware that their packages might not suit you. (For example the package might look good but if you go above the agreed time limit phone calls might become very expensive.)

My recommendation would be to work out which of the above are most important to you and then look on the thinkbroadband site for recommendations.

Andrea

I used to have landline with BT & wireless broadband with talktalk, after shopping around I was going to go with plusnet for phone & broadband, but talktalk won me over by giving me 12mths free line rental, broadband and a basic calls package for £6/mth, saving me abt £400 per year.

there are lots of decent deals out there from various suppliers, so shop around!

Plusnet do a good broadband deal that doesn't require signing up to a contract.. most broadband providers require that you do. I am using them and very happy so far.

as kitefarrago says, the wireless part of the internet has nothing to do with who your provider is

I'm with Virgin Media but have a wireless hub.....

service ?

Thanks.

Contact Virgin Media and tell them that you want a Super Hub, that automatically gives you wireless and you can have wired if you want it through the same hardware which is free. Virgin Cable is much faster than anything you can get down a phone line.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back