• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding apps for Iphone N America (1 Viewer)

ebwilderae

Hope this is not too redundant, did not find current in the listings. So she wants an Iphone and I want all the cool bird stuff. Good friend recommends birdjam, another uses Ibird which I gather is way cheaper. Sibley seems to have one, maybe Nat Geographic, likely others. I will want to add Mexico and Costa Rica eventually. Thanks for input on NA east and west.

I have a number of North American guides on my iphone: Sibley, iBird Pro, National Geographic, Peterson, Audubon. Of these, the best pure field guide IMO is the Sibley. All the guides have good collections of song files--the Sibley's is probably the best--but I what I most often use for playbacks is Bird Tunes, a stand-alone bird song app which I like better for this purpose than any of the field guides.

The only app dealing with foreign birds I've purchased so far is the Birds of Northern Europe. This is an excellent app, superior to the Sibley in some ways.

Last edited:
For quick song reference birdtunes is awesome.

I have way too many hardcopy field guides and decided I wasn't going to go that route on iPhone apps. Based on reviews available at the time iBirdPro beat all the others by a good margin. Plus it was halfprice ($15). Haven't looked back.

I have all the apps mentioned, plus several others. The best feature about Sibleys is that you can compare two bird species side by side. This can be very helpful. Not mentioned is the Audobon app. Unique features about it is that many of the maps show winter locations. Also it connects to eBird data so you can search for a particular species near wherever you might be and it will give a map and driving directions. This is similar to the BirdsEye app. As previously mentioned the best app for playing bird songs and calls is Bird Tunes. I also have Petersons and iBird, but use Sibleys and Audubon the most.

Two other apps that should be on every North American smart phone are BirdsEye and BirdsLog NA. BirdsEye has been around for awhile and enables you to locate a bird or a good birding area when traveling by tapping into data provided by eBird, including maps and driving directions.

BirdLog is a new app that records your sightings in the field. It is much easier and quicker to use than the other two apps I've tried. Plus you are then able to submit your list directly to eBird without having to reenter the data at day's end to the eBird website. It makes it quick and easy. Future apps will expand beyond NA. I have no connection with either product other than being a happy and satisfied user.

I've done a comparison of both field guide and listing apps on my site. They're a little outdated now (I need to update the Audubon field guide app info, and haven't had a chance to use BirdsEye BirdLog yet).

Personally, I find myself using the Sibley app most. It is very good for audio - a good interface and great selection of sounds.
Also, the Peterson app is on sale for $4.99 until the end of the month. It works much better on an iPad than iPhone, but it's definitely worth it for that price.

I have way too many hardcopy field guides and decided I wasn't going to go that route on iPhone apps. Based on reviews available at the time iBirdPro beat all the others by a good margin.

I have iBirdPro also and agree about not getting carried away with apps. Unless you just enjoy the "cool" factor, best to go slow, try a few, and see what you actually use in the field. I find I prefer to spend as much time as possible in the field looking at birds and enjoying nature rather than fiddling with my smart phone (really "old school" I know). Using a field guide and checklist is still faster than any app, and you never have to worry about battery use or network connections, so that's what I prefer when I'm in the field. And when at home my home computer is faster and more convenient than fiddling with a small touchscreen.

Jim

I've updated my comparison page with some new apps and info.

Bird Listing Apps for iPhone

Apps featured:
birdcountr - no longer included, as it is no longer available
BirdsEye BirdLog
Birdwatcher's Diary
Lifebirds Journal
My Bird Observations

I'm going to need to update it again soon, as Birdwatcher's Diary just released a big update (it now can upload directly to eBird).

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back