• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Velvet shank (1 Viewer)

Leif

While out walking on Sunday I was surprised to come across some Velvet Shank growing on a fallen log. I normally see these in late Autumn and early to mid-Winter. The latin name is Flammulina velutipes and it is also known as Eno-take in Japan where it is eaten. Although an easy species to recognise, I do not advise anyone to eat these unless they can identify them with 100% certainty: some not dis-similar Galerina species are deadly poisonous.

Here is a photograph taken last Autumn:

Attachments

• Frame 33 Flammulina velutipes.jpg
    Frame 33 Flammulina velutipes.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Flammulina velutipes seems to be an an all year round fungus in Suffolk & Norfolk I have found it on Elm & Hazel.It sporolates after being frozen & is particually abundant in winter hence the synonym Winter Fungus.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back