• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern Chile (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
These are mostly for confirmation (I hope ;) ).

The first one is a Yellowlegs that I have down as a Greater. I noted a flight call in agreement with the description, three syllables. This one from the wetland where Llute river meets the beach.

Second is a Yellow-Finch, I think Greenish. Just before Putre, so about 3500 m.a.s.l.

Third is two images of the same bird -- clearly a male as it was singing its heart out. I think the double white areas (uppertail coverts and base of tail) makes it a Chestnut-throated Seedeater, but if so, it has to be an immature male that was singing (see throat on image four). Blowing the original up a lot I think there are traces of color ... This one is from lowlands in the Llute river valley, among agricultural fields.

Thanks
Niels

Attachments

• G-yellowlegs-q-P1070253.jpg
    G-yellowlegs-q-P1070253.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 99
  • Greenish-Yellow-finch-q.jpg
    Greenish-Yellow-finch-q.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 79
  • CT-Seedeater-q1-P1070278.jpg
    CT-Seedeater-q1-P1070278.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 87
  • CT-Seedeater-q2-P1070278.jpg
    CT-Seedeater-q2-P1070278.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 84
Band-tailed Gull

Thank you both!

I will continue with a couple of gulls from the same area (Llute river at the beach), which I all believe to be band tailed gull; ages are the question.

The first image shows in the middle what I think is a second alternate plumage (about two years after birth, or third calender year). I believe that it is the same bird in flight on the second photo, showing the darker middle coverts than the rest of upper wing.

But what about the other two gulls? how young are they?

thanks
Niels

Attachments

• Band-tailed-gulls-P1070231.jpg
    Band-tailed-gulls-P1070231.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 61
  • BTG-bad-photo-flight-P10702.jpg
    BTG-bad-photo-flight-P10702.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 57
Thank you Jan,
I have looked at the images, and I am not quite sure where the division between first cycle and second basic is, but even so, I assume that the attached image is a second basic?

thanks
Niels

Attachments

• Band-tailed-Gull-P1070244.jpg
    Band-tailed-Gull-P1070244.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 52
The term cycle = everything between juvenile to first summer when the complete moult starts resulting in 2nd cycle.
Since the last image here is of a 1st cycle meaning perhaps on this individual 1st basic if it hasn´t started it´s complete moult - which includes the primaries.

JanJ

Thanks Jan,
It looks to me as if the entire breast area is pale and the head is sharply set of from the neck (the second thing is easier to see on this new image of the same bird). That was why I was putting this into second cycle, but clearly not as far along as the middle bird in image one.

thanks
Niels

Attachments

• BTG-q4-P1070246.jpg
    BTG-q4-P1070246.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 44
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back