Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Friday 10th December 2010, 23:21   #101
turkish van
Number 1 celebrity badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himalaya View Post
Are they safe to leave in the rain?

I would love to see what is out there which we dont see so yes my interests say buy this cam.
Mine has been out in very heavy rain and blizzard conditions and is none the worse for it. The last time I collected it it had a pile of snow on top but there was no moisture inside and never has been. If it's wet on the outside, just wipe dry before you open it. Mine didn't like recent low temperatures of about -10, but that might also have been due to low battery power.

I would say go for it, mine is worth every penny. It is addictive and makes you think a bit deeper about what's around. I thought I was pretty good at tracks and signs before, but the camera has made me look even closer to decide where the action will be at that particular time. It's a bit of an art I think, takes a lot of practice but I know every time I put it out I am learning something new. The only frustrating thing is there are so many animals and places I want to film and I only have one!
Old Sunday 12th December 2010, 01:30   #102
Himalaya

I do understand the positive side of it. I might never see certain wild animals in remote places but my camera trap might.

How long do the batteries last for?

Is it easy to operate?

What accessories do I need to buy with it, which do not come with the camera?
Old Sunday 12th December 2010, 10:23   #103
turkish van

Battery life depends entirely on how much you use it, the settings it is on and, presumably, weather conditions (ie temperature). Like I said mine lasted only 5 weeks, but a lot of that time it was set to take high quality 1 minute videos in low temperatures which I imagine is quite far along the battery draining scale. Bushnell say it can last up to a year on one set. Next time I'll be a bit more frugal, maybe 30 second videos or less, and I'm sure it'll last much longer.

It is extremely easy to use and set up, just push a few buttons for the settings you want (stills or videos at various qualities and time intervals), strap to a tree and switch it on.

The essential extras are batteries and an SD card. It comes with a long strap, however I also bought a thin tape measure style bike lock for a little extra security. Bushnell also sell a security box to go with it, but I think that would also have the disadvantage of making it more conspicuous. On it's own, it is very small and blends in well.
Old Monday 13th December 2010, 00:16   #104
Himalaya

Sounds so tempting.......do you work for the retail outlet by any chance? lol
Old Monday 13th December 2010, 06:48   #105
Jos Stratford
Back again...

Still painfully few images on this thread despite your highly addictive use of the camera

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 13th December 2010, 07:05   #106
turkish van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jos Stratford View Post
Still painfully few images on this thread despite your highly addictive use of the camera
I'm awaiting delivery of new batteries, taking ages! New images will be going on the other thread in the mammals forum anyway I think.
Old Tuesday 14th December 2010, 11:58   #107
Himalaya

Does the security case just keep it safe from inquisitve animals or can it keep it secure so that any human who comes across it wont be able to take it?
Old Saturday 18th December 2010, 01:05   #108
Himalaya

Mine have arrived - what a good service!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: