• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica UK - Trade in - Trade up Promotion (1 Viewer)

There is currently for sale used standard lenses, all the same, in 3 shops.
3* £30
4* £150
5* £50.

We used to change our BMC cars every year, they were so poorly made. Then we bought Saabs. Lasted 30 years.
Once we advertised a Vanden Plas 1100 or 1300 at what we thought was a reasonable price.
We had about one hundred people begging to buy it. They wanted to pay more to get it.
But strictly first come first served, at the advertised price.
I told the second potential buyer he could have it if the first didn't buy it. But it sold instantly.

One just cannot predict exactly what something is worth.
There are trade guides.
One top guide listed an Ilford Witness at £14. They were selling for £2,000. Now £6,000?

(Currently Ilford Witnesses are $10,000 average to $23,000 mint).

Last edited:
I tell you what would be good, possibly: a discount for people who give something back, so if you have done 5 years of BTO surveys, or 10 Marinelife / Seawatch SW surveys, or volunteered for 100 hours for RSPB or Local Wildlife trust in a fixed period, you get a % discount for new binoculars.
You could get a Leica "Volunteer" badge for your binocular strap too, imagine the pride.
And if a small amount of the purchase went back to the Charity.. Well, I would be happy to buy new as opposed to used in the future. That way Leica would actually make some money out of me.

It's dawned on me that I've used Leica all my life but never bought a new pair, or paid for a service.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back